truelove

PV Casanova
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2009
Bronx, NY
icon1.gif
U.S.A: PACT Act 2009
THE SITUATION: Right now there is legislation pending in the United States Senate - the Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking Act of 2009 (“PACT Act”) (S.1147) which contains, among otherbad ideas, a provision to make ALL cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products nonmailable. This legislation has already been passed by the House of Representatives and is currently in a Senate Committee that could send it to the Senate floor at any time for a vote!

WHAT THIS MEANS TO YOU: By making all cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products nonmailable, the Senate is ensuring you will no longer be able to purchase these products by
mail-order, telephone order, and/or the Internet because the United States Postal Service, along with UPS, Fed-Ex and all other carriers will be prohibited by law from delivering your orders
to you. Taking away your options means forcing you back to buying over-priced tobacco products from your local retailer once again.

WHAT YOU CAN DO: Contact your Senators and tell them not to pass the PACT Act. Your Senators should be protecting your interests, but it is up to you to let them know what you think about the PACT Act. There are three easy ways to contact your Senators - by telephone, email, or regular mail - all of which are explained below. Every state has two Senators - please remember to contact BOTH Senators for your state. At this point time is crucial, so a phone call is by far the best means to use!

THE POSTAL SERVICE: The price of stamps is being raised practically every year. The PACT Act will take an entire class of legal, non-hazardous goods and make them nonmailable. What this
means is a huge loss of business (potentially hundreds of millions of dollars) for the Postal Service. Will they continue to raise the price of stamps and other mail services to compensate for their lost
income? The United States Postal Service is already suffering a fiscal crisis due to the downturn in the economy. If the PACT Act is passed and millions of dollars of revenue are taken away, there could be serious consequences for consumers, including reducing the number of delivery days from 6 per week down to 5 or perhaps only 4 days per week.

COST: When the PACT Act of 2003 (S.1177) passed the Senate, the Congressional Budget Office prepared a Cost Estimate for the Bill. The Congressional Budget Office estimated that the PACT Act
of 2003 would cost about $140 MILLION over the 2004-2008 period to enforce. $140 Million over four years - and that estimate is already six years old. How much will the PACT Act of 2009 cost to enforce? Isn’t there a better way to spend our tax dollars?

Di

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2008
*Australia*
the sad thing about this is that is has been sneaked in,
quickly and very quietly,

if all the postal services and all carriers are prohibited by law to carry and or deliver any smokeless tobacco related products, --

that covers all e-cig related parts and accessories as well as juice ---

how the hell will the e-cig business survive --

how will sellers deliver the products to buyers --

they have found a way to make it even worse than the Australian ban--
at least here it is only the nicotine juice that is banned --

and we can still manage small quantities because no one is prohibited by law to ship it or deliver it via postal services or carriers.

They are very sneaky with this one,
you will lose the product through confiscation, and you will be fined and or jailed for trying to sneak it through ------

very nasty this one -----------:nah::nah::nah:

DaMulta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2009
T-Town Oklahoma
Well you can still order pot seeds from holand, and people ship all sorts of things in the mail that they should not be shipping. There is no way there would ever know what is in your mail unless the packaging was messed up. I don't see how they could really enforce this new law.

I guess if you signed up as a supplier then you could still order products. Maybe a loophole in the law....

Di

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2008
*Australia*
Well you can still order pot seeds from holand, and people ship all sorts of things in the mail that they should not be shipping. There is no way there would ever know what is in your mail unless the packaging was messed up. I don't see how they could really enforce this new law.

I guess if you signed up as a supplier then you could still order products. Maybe a loophole in the law....

I guess if this passes into law,
we will soon find out---------
who is ready to flout the law,
and risk confiscation, fines, and jail time ?????????

tribalmasters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2008
United Kingdom
aMerica likes to think it owns the planet I am told (thats why the capital letter is not at the beginning hehe) and from what I hear on the news and radio our UK government like to follow americA like sheep! Luckily, they seem to have fallen out about a few things lately which means maybe they will ignore what it has to say about vaping!! :D

I see alot of American vapers (they get a capital letter for being the good guys hehe) coming to the UK where they can vape freely hopefully!!

moonlight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
aMerica likes to think it owns the planet I am told (thats why the capital letter is not at the beginning hehe) and from what I hear on the news and radio our UK government like to follow americA like sheep! Luckily, they seem to have fallen out about a few things lately which means maybe they will ignore what it has to say about vaping!! :D

I see alot of American vapers (they get a capital letter for being the good guys hehe) coming to the UK where they can vape freely hopefully!!

I'd LOVE to visit the UK!! Vaping and REAL Guinness....can't think of a thing I'd like more! :D

prof beard

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
Stafford UK
And I though we had a nanny state in the UK! How does this make the US the "land of the free"?

I've noticed that the "follow the USA" thing is falling out of favour across Europe, so hopefully this sort of stupidity won't come here. (Mind you the UK is so small, I could drive to TW, trog, Intellicig etc and just buy the stuff - that means they would actually have to ban the stuff...)

KonaNeil

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Big Island, Hawaii
....I guess if you signed up as a supplier then you could still order products. Maybe a loophole in the law....

Sorry. I don't believe it work that way. Because of taxes, cigarettes, like liquor, are trucked in bonded shipments. Since there's no pathway like this for e-cig products, I think the intention is for us to all simply obey the new laws and stop.

We really should you know. Our government knows better than we do and they are only concerned with our best interest.

Stormynights

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2009
Bristow, Ok.
Sorry. I don't believe it work that way. Because of taxes, cigarettes, like liquor, are trucked in bonded shipments. Since there's no pathway like this for e-cig products, I think the intention is for us to all simply obey the new laws and stop.

We really should you know. Our government knows better than we do and they are only concerned with our best interest.

It couldn't possibly have anything to do with tax dollars lost to them because we are not buying cigarettes. They say they want everyone to quit smoking.

Bjorn Toulouse

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
Glasgow
I dont get it. whats the worry? Do you honestly think that will stop people shipping liquid or parts?
Tell you what, if this comes into play I for one don't have a problem with shipping any liquids to the US in any quantity from one of 3 EU locations and 2 locations from outside the EU.
Hell, the way the UK econonomy is going we can do with the revinue. And as for it will upset the US Government hell mend them, there is no extrodition agreement with andora!!! Besides that from what I have heard Mr Obama is in the bad books over here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread