X8 clone i think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evi|grin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2013
I bought a X8 clone (i think) cheap at a B&M. They had it labeled QT tank at STLVapors. There are so many that look identical i cant tell. All the brand links say they no longer come with two set screws. One for the filler hole and one to lock the carto. Now you just use one long enough to screw in the tank and then put it back in the filler hole.

Well i have no issues using a Pro Tank or an iClear30 on my MVP and i understand this is a carto based tank. I understand how to properly fill it ect ect. I read the how to link and watched a video. I tried the carto that came with it and the hit is very weak but the draw seems about right with the screw in the filler hole. It does gurgle a little bit and ive blown it out several times.

I slightly opened up both holes in the carto. Still no improvement in vapor production. They still look tiny to me though.

The carto is flush with the top of the tank and i bought another one that is a tiny bit taller with a flange on the battery side but the top of the poly fill sits slightly above the tank when installed. I also think it is a dual coil. I got a real Smok DCT type 2 hole i think. I opened up the holes also but sofar ive only assembled it for a test fit.

Is there anything else i can try with the short supplied carto. Ive tried the entire volt range on the MVP and it works fine with other wick based tanks?

I plan on getting another screw if the local hardware store has one but am i doing something wrong? I put it in the filler hole after i tighten the tank down and fill it. Thats why i got a flanged carto. At least the tank cant slide down for now.

Do you think the longer carto will work even though the "wicking" material is kinda high. It does sit above the juice line.

Thanks in advance, i would love to make this cheap glass tank work.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The problem may very well be the connectors on either the cartomizer end or on your MVP. Not enough electrical connection to fire the coil in the cartomizer is probably the issue.

I have an MVP, also. All the clearomizers I've used (Protank I & II, Evod, iClear 16 & 30) all work wonderfully. However, my cartotanks using Ikenvape cartomizers will not work, either with or without the beauty ring adaptor supplied for the MVP. There is airflow, but no firing of the coil. I know of at least two other ECF members who have this issue with their MVP.

I took my MVP to my local B&M, who checked it out with both a Protank and my cartotank, and they said the issue is with the cartomizers that I use not making contact with the MVP's connector pin. They were reluctant to pull the pin in the MVP to lengthen it. Since I ended up donating my MVP to a new vapor who likely will only use clearomizers with it, I chose not to pull the pin myself.

Should you wish to try this yourself, a fine tipped needle-nosed pliers, or a fine-tipped screwdriver can nudge the connector pin on the MVP out further. This should not harm your MVP, as these pins are generally "floating" in the top's base. Just don't pull the pin out completely.

Last edited:

Evi|grin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2013
I get vapor but it is minimal with one of the supplied cartos. I have not tried another carto yet. I can hear it "firing" when i push the button. I do get some gurgling and a little "spitting" into the drip tip. Just flooding maybe?

Im hoping this different brand carto will work. Im just concerned its slightly too long and the polyfil at the top will dry out and give a burnt taste. I guess i could cover the holes and test it as a dripper first with a drip tip.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
As long as you are priming the filler completely and thoroughly before inserting it in the tank, don't worry about the filler at the top looking dry after taking a few draws - that is completely normal and unavoidable unless you are obsessive compulsive and top the carto off after every few puffs taken. The tank itself will never be able to saturate the top of the filler, and it doesn't need to. As long as the filler surrounding the heating coil stays wet, you shouldn't need to worry about any burning.

Cartomizer Anatomy.jpg

If anything, from your description of "gurgling" and "spitting" of juice into the drip tip, it sounds like you have a flooded cartomizer. I wouldn't be concerned about the amount of filler between different brands of cartomizer. Again, as long as the filler stays wet around the heating coil, you should be fine.

There IS a difference in the density or compactness of filler material between cartomizer brands. Boges are very dense, and Smoktech is less dense. One or the other may give better results depending upon the technique you use to prime the carto and in your personal vaping technique. Hard short pulls can encourage carto flooding. Gentle and longer pulls are generally suggested. Thicker juices may require a "primer puff" or two - this is drawing on the tank without firing the power button to encourage more juice filling the carto in the tank.

Last edited:

Evi|grin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2013
Ok, im going to give this a try again soon and im slightly better educated now. I think i can ask my question better.

The X8 uses a 35mm length carto. The one i bought is 45mm long and its supposed to be for a DCT 510 and has a bottom flange.

Any problem using a longer carto in the shorter tank assuming its properly primed and the tank has enough juice to cover the holes in the carto?

DuffTime

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
May 7, 2013
United States
Ok, im going to give this a try again soon and im slightly better educated now. I think i can ask my question better.

The X8 uses a 35mm length carto. The one i bought is 45mm long and its supposed to be for a DCT 510 and has a bottom flange.

Any problem using a longer carto in the shorter tank assuming its properly primed and the tank has enough juice to cover the holes in the carto?

If it fits, and the seal is good, there shouldn't be an issue. I've used an XL carto in a standard tank before without issue.

Evi|grin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2013
Thank you

My main concern was its a dual coil and i had concerns about burning the upper polyfill material in the shorter tank. The X8 is kind of a pain with the set screw for the carto and now they only come with one screw. The extra length makes it easier to screw in/off without swapping the set screw around. Hopefully i can find a screw that fits at a hardware store and use the correct length carto in the future.

Evi|grin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2013
First....

A HUGE THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I carefully dripped into the carto very slowly and took my time. I check it a couple times for a gurgle and it was perfect. I put it in the tank and filled about half way. Then let it sit for 15min so if the bottom was still dry, the juice could get in the holes. I took a few dry pulls just to make sure there is still no gurgle.

Then i set it to 3.7v and took a few quick puffs and let it sit a minute or two. I gave it a short push and listened to it. Its more of a hissss sound than my iClear or ProTank "crackle" sound. Its firing and......seems to hit awesome on just 3.7v!!!! Slightly easy draw but the vapor production and flavor made up for it. Zero gurgle sound. As long as it don't leak, its the best $13 ive spent on stuff yet.
It does not look bad either, i think it looks fine actually.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread