Help - New to cartomizers, received X8 and don't know how to use!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA
Thanks in advance. I ordered a particular battery from fasttech and it came with an 'X8' atomizer.

Here's a picture...

Ok, maybe not. Here's a link to it. $6.23 Authentic X8 2.5ml Electronic Cigarette Atomizer at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

I have no idea how to work this thing. I think I have the basic concept - the metal tube in the middle is the actual carto and you put juice in the tank and it seeps into the carto through a tiny hole (in the carto). But how do you fill the tank??

It seems the whole middle section (carto and drip tip) slide out of the tank itself and the bottom screw 'locks' it in place. Ok, fine. So is the top screw the 'fill hole'? If so, it's tiny. (And I know I'll lose that tiny screw eventually.) I guess you need a syringe to inject the juice??

Seems very awkward (I'm used to vivi novas).

Last question - I originally wasn't going to even bother with this but realized that the tank material feels different. It actually feels like glass but I believe I read that it's pyrex. (Don't quote me on that, I'm not sure about the different plastics.) Anyway, I'm wondering if it would be safe for some 'tank buster' juices I've read about (citrus/cinnamon). Any opinions?

Again, thanks for any hints/tips for using this.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I have no idea how to work this thing. I think I have the basic concept - the metal tube in the middle is the actual carto and you put juice in the tank and it seeps into the carto through a tiny hole (in the carto). But how do you fill the tank??
Yes, what you have is a cartotank. The metal cylinder inside is the cartomizer and is removable, and replaceable.

The cartomizer actually needs to be "primed", or filled, prior to being put into the tank. This is actually the most important step. You can fill the cartomizer by dropping juice into the white filler material from the top of the carto. Approximately 1.5 ml of juice, or about 25 - 30 drops. The filler should look like a slushy drink when finished. You also want to avoid getting any juice into the center air hole where the filler is - I place a wood tooth pick gently into the hole to prevent this.

It seems the whole middle section (carto and drip tip) slide out of the tank itself and the bottom screw 'locks' it in place. Ok, fine. So is the top screw the 'fill hole'? If so, it's tiny. (And I know I'll lose that tiny screw eventually.) I guess you need a syringe to inject the juice??
You catch on quick. :) The bottom screw locks the carto in the tank so the tank can't slide off the carto when on your battery device. The top screw is meant to fill the tank once the cartomizer has been primed. You'll need a needle and syringe to do this. Only fill it about 80% full.

Last question - I originally wasn't going to even bother with this but realized that the tank material feels different. It actually feels like glass but I believe I read that it's pyrex. (Don't quote me on that, I'm not sure about the different plastics.) Anyway, I'm wondering if it would be safe for some 'tank buster' juices I've read about (citrus/cinnamon). Any opinions?

Pyrex is actually glass. I can't tell if the tube material is pyrex or plastic. If it is a clear plastic, it likely is polycarbonate and would be succeptible to damage by the cinnamon and citrus flavors. If glass/pyrex if would be safe for all flavors.
______

If you read the reviews of that tank on the FastTech website, you'll see many users complain that the cartomizer that comes with the tank is lousy. I wouldn't waste my juice on it based on the reviews. Get you some replacement Smoktech single coil cartomizers that are pre-punched from one of the vendors in the following list. You didn't say which battery you bought, so to be on the safe side, get cartomizers with a 2.0 ohm resistance.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/baditude/3295-2-sample-list-vendors-selling-pre-punched-single-coil-cartomizers-cartotanks.html

I've made a cartotank setup guide for new vapors: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/baditude/3710-5-cartomizer-tank-setup.html

Hope this helps, and good luck with your first cartotank!

Last edited:

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
+1 to everything Baditude says. Spend some time reading his blogs – great resource for carto tank usage, tips, and tricks!

I got an X8 from a friend who received one with a kit he got from Fastech, and is not a tank user. So he passed it along to me. The tank itself is not bad. It’s not a great tank but it provides adequate functionality. It’s a decent way to find out if a a carto tank suits you. If so, you may want to move to a better quality tank, such as ones from View Valley Vapes (my personal favorites) or IBTanked. They are better made and offer better functionality.

The tank material is thick but it is clear plastic, and could be damaged by certain juices. It’s not an ideal tank for “tank cracking” juices such as citrus, cinnamon, licorice, etc. That being said, I have used citrus juice in it without a problem so far.

But do not, under any circumstances, use the carto that comes with it! It is horrible. Wicks poorly and has a taste that is indescribably bad. I literally had to gargle with Scope after using it to get the taste out of my mouth. Toss it and get a pre-punched carto made by Smoktech or Boge (easy to find using Baditude’s resource list).

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA
Yes, what you have is a cartotank. The metal cylinder inside is the cartomizer and is removable, and replaceable.

The cartomizer actually needs to be "primed", or filled, prior to being put into the tank. This is actually the most important step. You can fill the cartomizer by dropping juice into the white filler material from the top of the carto. Approximately 1.5 ml of juice, or about 25 - 30 drops. The filler should look like a slushy drink when finished. You also want to avoid getting any juice into the center air hole where the filler is - I place a wood tooth pick gently into the hole to prevent this.

Hehe - I didn't know this. Obviously it makes sense but I probably wouldn't have thought about it. Thanks for saving me from an unpleasant experience. And the wooden toothpick idea is great.

The bottom screw locks the carto in the tank so the tank can't slide off the carto when on your battery device. The top screw is meant to fill the tank once the cartomizer has been primed. You'll need a needle and syringe to do this. Only fill it about 80% full.

Ok, now this I don't like. I have syringes (I'm a nurse) but I can't see myself carrying syringes on a trip just to fill up a tank. Guess this will be a stay-at-home setup.

If you read the reviews of that tank on the FastTech website, you'll see many users complain that the cartomizer that comes with the tank is lousy. I wouldn't waste my juice on it based on the reviews. Get you some replacement Smoktech single coil cartomizers that are pre-punched from one of the vendors in the following list. You didn't say which battery you bought, so to be on the safe side, get cartomizers with a 2.0 ohm resistance.

I saw that too. Am waiting on new cartos to arrive before attempting anything with this.

Will check out, thanks!!

+1 to everything Baditude says. Spend some time reading his blogs – great resource for carto tank usage, tips, and tricks!

I got an X8 from a friend who received one with a kit he got from Fastech, and is not a tank user. So he passed it along to me. The tank itself is not bad. It’s not a great tank but it provides adequate functionality. It’s a decent way to find out if a a carto tank suits you. If so, you may want to move to a better quality tank, such as ones from View Valley Vapes (my personal favorites) or IBTanked. They are better made and offer better functionality.

As I mentioned, I don't like having to use a syringe to fill it. If all tanks are like that, I can't see myself really getting into them. Hopefully that's what you mean by 'better functionality'. Oh, and maybe a glass tank so I can try some of the 'tank busters' I hear about. But otherwise - well, a tank just holds juice, right? Doesn't sound like it should be too complicated.

But do not, under any circumstances, use the carto that comes with it! It is horrible. Wicks poorly and has a taste that is indescribably bad. I literally had to gargle with Scope after using it to get the taste out of my mouth. Toss it and get a pre-punched carto made by Smoktech or Boge (easy to find using Baditude’s resource list).

HaHa - You and Baditude said the same thing. Great minds think alike!

Thanks again to both of you. I guess I'll be giving this a whirl when the new cartos arrive. Wish me luck!!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm personally not a fan of the side or top juice fill screw tanks. If you lose the screw, the tank leaks and can't be used. I know people find replacements or work-arounds, but I don't care. I don't like carrying syringes in my vape bag, either. Would be hard to explain to a police officer or security person should I get stopped and searched for whatever reason. My gear (to some) looks questionable enough as it is.

I highly recommend getting the Slap Yo Moma tank tool that is mentioned in the cartotank setup guide in my blog link (that PBusardo reviewed and demo'd in the video). This makes filling a cartotank so much easier and faster, and also protects the o-rings from unnecessary wear and tear.

I much prefer the IBTanked cartotanks. I have 12 of these, so you know I love them. High quality, elegant, and inexpensive. http://www.ibtanked.com/

My review of the IBTanked here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/baditude/3318-3-ibtanked-pyrex-glass-tanks-review.html

Last edited:

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
Well, I'll have to give counterpoint to Baditude (with all due respect!). I love side fill hole tanks!

I don't care for top fill hole tanks like the X8. My fat fingers and a slim fill screw are not a good match. But a good side fill hole tank is my preferred tank setup. For me, they make filling so much easier and convenient.

I have to point out that one of the main reasons I find them easier is that I've been buying much of my juice from Quantum Vapor HQ. Their bottles come with a stubby plastic tip that fits perfectly into the side fill hole of a Valley View Vapes (Valley View Vapes) tank. No need to remember to bring along a tank tool.

[The tank tool tool is great to have, however, even if it's only used to help get the carto into the tank without tearing up the o-rings. The SYM is a fine tool, and VVV also makes one that works well and is a little less expensive.]

If your favorite juice does not come in a suitable bottle you can pick up empty bottles with stubby or needle tips that fit into the fill hole. No need to use a syringe. I do use syringes (3ml with blunt tips), but only to prime the cartos since I'm too impatient to wait for the filler to absorb dripped juice. Just jab and go is my style.

As to the better functionality of higher end tanks, they improve upon the X8 by being made of materials that can handle "tough" juices (either better quality plastic or glass), better o-rings and caps for a more secure carto fit, and overall better fit and finish that keep it leak-free for a long time. Good tank vendors, such as IBTanked and VVV offer spare parts should something go amiss, and provide great customer service and support.

Now, as Baditude points out, losing the screw can be a problem. However, the VVV tanks use a large thumbscrew (MUCH larger than the one in the X8) so it's not too tough to keep track of it, even for me with my fumble fingers. Plus, you can buy extras for literally a few pennies.

Isn't it great to have so many choices when it comes to vaping?

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Most folks get a (or several) 10ml needle tipped bottle for their juice. These are great for filling just about any tank.. carto, clearo or rba.

With the X8 tanks, simply remove the top screw, insert the needle tip and fill with juice. You may need to rotate the tank so that the fill hole is at the highest point while filling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread