Xtar VP4 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
I just bought a VP4 to replace a flaky Nitecore. I like it, but had a question about the way it's functioning at times. Sometimes I will start to charge one battery and then pop in a second one later. When I do this, sometimes it will not read the second battery until I pop out the first one and put both batteries back in. Is this normal and has anyone else experienced this before?

duc916

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Nor Cal
I don't have a VP4, but I've never experienced this with either of my VC4's or my VC2 Plus. I know that doesn't help now, but maybe that'll help you make a decision down the line when you can't tolerate that anymore. I know I couldn't. I actually prefer not having an AC/DC conversion done inside my charger. Already have quality 5V 2.4A USB power supplies from iPads and such laying around anyway.

Incidentally, I gave up on Nitecore when I discovered it was overheating my brand new LG HG2's.... Two different i4's did the same thing.... literally hot to the touch... no bueno. Two different VC4's stayed cool to the touch. That was enough for me to know the xtar 3-stage charging is superior. I gave away both i4's.

More info here: Three stages of charging method (TC-CC-CV) - The best way to charge your batteries.,Tech cente

Reactions: Ed_C

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I don't have a VP4, but I've never experienced this with either of my VC4's or my VC2 Plus. I know that doesn't help now, but maybe that'll help you make a decision down the line when you can't tolerate that anymore. I know I couldn't. I actually prefer not having an AC/DC conversion done inside my charger. Already have quality 5V 2.4A USB power supplies from iPads and such laying around anyway.

Incidentally, I gave up on Nitecore when I discovered it was overheating my brand new LG HG2's.... Two different i4's did the same thing.... literally hot to the touch... no bueno. Two different VC4's stayed cool to the touch. That was enough for me to know the xtar 3-stage charging is superior. I gave away both i4's.

More info here: Three stages of charging method (TC-CC-CV) - The best way to charge your batteries.,Tech cente

I use my Nitecore i4 these days to charge NiMh AAA's for my guitar wireless backpack transmitter. It does a good job, but those little AAA's get overly warm to suit me. There's no case expansion or any sign of charge life degradation.

For 18650's I use the Xtar VC4 and the Efest LUC 4. The LUC4 will do 4 bays at 1A. The VC4 will only do two bays at 1A. I don't know why they chose to underpower it. I guess it's an issue of USB charging. Most wall chargers only go to 2.1A on a port, even if they can do 4A or 8A total. Maybe they didn't want to have two USB cables feeding the charger for simplicity and cost.

Reactions: Ramsay Bolton

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Thanks for the responses. It doesn't do this every time and perhaps I wasn't patient enough in waiting for the charger to read the battery. Next time I will give it a bit more time.

Maybe it does wait for something before connecting the other bay. Let us know if you find out. I'm sure there are people on ECF who use the VP4 who can compare notes with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread