Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I had to find a modder, but yes that is the plan for the clown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Methinks you'll be HAPPY.

May I (we) ask what something like that might cost? I'm sure it's cheaper than buying new, but I'm curious as to the savings.

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
my clown clone is still chugging along. it's been home to my goblin for a month and a half. DNA40 still pumping the power to it. comes with me whenever i need to run out of the house.

IMG_20160210_132844-1.jpg

pokemom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Lauderhill, Florida, United States
Methinks you'll be HAPPY.

May I (we) ask what something like that might cost? I'm sure it's cheaper than buying new, but I'm curious as to the savings.
Don't know yet. The cost of the chip & labor. I was "quoted" about $100 total

DPLongo22

"Vert De Ferk"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld

That's reasonable, and still a big savings vs. new (for what amounts to the same thing). Good play, P-Mom. [emoji106] [emoji108] [emoji4]

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania

that isn't too bad, depending on what version of the dna 40 you get. $35 for the dna 40 w/o atty lock or $55-$60 for the board with atty lock. so $65-$40 left for labor is decent.

pokemom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Lauderhill, Florida, United States
that isn't too bad, depending on what version of the dna 40 you get. $35 for the dna 40 w/o atty lock or $55-$60 for the board with atty lock. so $65-$40 left for labor is decent.
I thought it was a bargain. Hope the quote comes back as true when he's done. [emoji53]

woita

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2014
Ohio
Yep, with mine (from Focal) it was the same layout.
Basically did just that, de-solder the wires from the clown-board and reattach them to the Evolve board.

However "the chinese" didn't bother to attach the charger's positive lead to the proper solder point but "stuck" it somewhere on the board where it obviously worked - how are those big square things called? somewhere there.
But I didn't go that way and used the dedicated solder point for that - the wire was still long enough (but it has a too small diameter imho, so I don't usually charge with my clownstick)

It is a real improvement and the "new coil"-question was driving me nuts. Battery life also seemed to improve significantly.

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
they attached the positive charging lead to one of the four ceramic output capacitors. why? i dunno, faster assembly time maybe. it shares the same circuit trace/path as the batt+/chrg+, so it is ok. i did however, place it in the correct pad on the dna40.

mgmrick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
New York
I do get the new coil with the clone but only a couple of times a day. Battery pretty much makes it through a full day and night with out charging.

I am looking to compare the statement I read over and over " Big improvement " That's the statement I think you have to experience to know what that means. I can say the same thing when comparing my clone with my evic vt. The evic vt for me just has a better vape but I prefer the style of the xvostick clone

illitirit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
United States
I have gathered the courage to swap a DNA40 into my xvostick clone. Originally i wanted to just buy an authentic black with SS buttons, but seems like nobody has them in stock and seems like miniecig has stopped production of Xvosticks (rumor). Probably in favor of their soon to be released Y-sticks.

I want to ask if i buy this :

EVOLV DNA 40 Board - Evolv DNA 40, Kick 2 - Electronic Mods

Are the original wires inside the clone good enough to be re-used? Or should I buy a prewired DNA board like this :

DNA 40D - Authentic Board By Evolv Wired Already (USB charger And 2 Switch)

One reason I ask is the positive wire that connects to the 510 on my xvostick clone has snapped. I looked at it for a little bit but am kind of confused where to resolder it. As I was spinning the atty base, I guess I spun it a little too much and snapped the wire. So now my 510 atty base is completely separated from the device.

I hope someone can help me with this.

I own a soldering iron, very old and not sure if it even gets hot enough (probably problem with the old tip).

Another random question / thought is my backup device is an rDNA40 with 1amp USB charger in the DNA40. Is it even possible to put a 1amp charging board into the clone? I would love to retain the faster charge speed.

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
QUESTION >

It's been a long time since I first became interested in this XvoStick clone. I never purchased one because of the problems people were having with the electronics in it when operating in the Temp Control mode.

Well, I now have NO interest in Temperature Control, and that brings me to my question ...

Of the XvoStick clones that are still available as on now, do any of these clones have any problems at all when operating in just the "Power" mode using a single Kanthal coil in the 1.0 - 1.5 ohm range? ... If not, I just might order one from FastTech if there still selling them.

One other thing .... How well does the finish hold up over time on these XvoStick clones? ... I believe the original / authentic XvoStick had a hard anodized aluminum finish. Are the clones anodized or just painted?

Thanks,

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
Here is something very interesting on the Fasttech website:

They have 2 versions of the XvoStick clone ...

1. This version costs $42.14 and has both Temp Control and Power modes:
$42.14 XvoStick Styled 40W TC VW Variable Wattage APV Box Mod - 1-40W / 200-600'F / 1*18650 / aluminum at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

2. This version costs a few cents more ($42.53), but from reading the "Details", it does not have Temp Control. Shows it as a VW device only ... However, the actual name of the mod on the website says "XvoStick Styled 40W TC VW Variable Wattage APV Box Mod" .... confused?
$42.53 XvoStick Styled 40W TC VW Variable Wattage APV Box Mod - 1-40W / 1*18650 / aluminum at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

From what you know, is one better than the other?

Again, I am only interested in using the Power mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread