Y adapter for DBSB w/ ADJUSTABLE DRAW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeGT

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2009
St. louis, MO
After the first hit on the DBSB I knew I needed a different mouth piece, or mod one. I saw some other members on the forum talk about it, so I know I'm not alone.

I had a couple ideas, but aside from actually machining one out of nylon or something, this was the smallest method to me.

0302001639.jpg

Shot at 2010-03-02

These are all the parts I used. The U fitting and grommets were from O'Reily's auto parts. The long metal tube is actually a kr-808D1 passthrough that died on me. The air flow valve (not pictured) is for aquariums. It is designed to slowly drip water when acclimating new fish. The round tips are from 2 501's, and the flat tip is from a 901.
I'm pretty sure you know where to get a DBSB.......

0302001709.jpg

Shot at 2010-03-02
0302001722.jpg

Shot at 2010-03-02
0302001831a.jpg

Shot at 2010-03-02

I drilled a hole in the U fitting and placed the cut down PT on top of it. I proceded to lather it with ample amounts of hot glue to secure it in place.

I removed the mouth piece cover and the internal spacer on the 501 carts. Then I put the grommet on the U fitting barbs and pushed them into the open top of the 510 carts. I don't really need the hot glue around the top of the 510 carts, but the grommet could wiggle loose, and I didn't want them to come off. I am going to remove the hot glue on the bottom and drill holes into the existing 510 caps and epoxy the U fittings in them. I just did the hot glue because I wanted to test it, and because it's not permanent.

The blue valve on the side is attached to the last barb. You can use this to control air flow!!!! If you tighten it all the way down, you will only draw on the 510s, but if you unscrew it a bit, you'll actually get some extra air in there.

This can give an easier draw if you don't like the 510's and can also add air if you think the DBSB is too much!

I like it because I can direct inhale on the DBSB, but not everyone can. If I let my girlfriend take a drag it would probably kill her! Now I just unscrew the knob a few turns and it makes the hit really weak!

0302001831.jpg

Shot at 2010-03-02

0302001834.jpg

Shot at 2010-03-02
With this setup (901 tip) it is actually slightly longer then an 801 atty.
0302001835.jpg

Shot at 2010-03-02

With a round endcap on the y-pipe, now it is slightly shorter then the 801!

THE DRAW IS AMAZING! No more unwanted air being drawn in from not getting my lips around two mouth pieces!

The air valve works perfectly by the way. True ability to control the draw. And it adjusts in very small amounts, so you have great control!

I'll post some pics when I clean up the hot glue and make it more sleek.
This was also my first attempt, I'd like to make another that's cleaner. Something I'd feel confident taking in public......

In the mean time what do you think?

FreeGT

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2009
St. louis, MO
I never use carts. I only drip (or use a cartomizer). I've tried cart mods, but they just don't last or perform much better then dripping. I will say I would love to get a cart mod to work on an 801, those carts are massive! That being said you still could use the filler if you wanted.

I actually pull the cart tips off by holding both of them right where they meet the atomizer. I don't want to put any stress on the hot glue. The hot glue is only temporary, as I was just testing this setup to see if it would work (which it does perfectly!). I would like to epoxy it, then sand it down to be smooth, then paint it

But as for ease of removal, it's the same as pulling off any other 510 cart.

FreeGT

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2009
St. louis, MO
I think that is a really good idea, and super kool that it works well for you.

Are you running it off the 18650 battery?

I am running two cr123a's at 6v.

Here's how it goes.. I got my SB in, and the battery was not charged. I couldn't wait so I grabbed my dad's cr123a's out of his xhaler........bad mistake. I can never go back to 3.7v again..........or so I thought.

I just tried it on 3.7v, and damn it works good! You're right it has the vapor like a 6v, and it's cooler. The throat hit and flavor are slightly less though, but that could just be my juice too.

I might just like it better at 3.7v. I didn't like the DBSB before at 3.7 cause I could never get good enough suction to get a good hit. Now I can. I'll keep you updated.

FreeGT

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2009
St. louis, MO
You can call it; The FreeGTDBSB Carburetor mod. Necessity is the mother of MODDING!

I guess you can call it the holley 750 double pumper of vaping, but then again that's not really necessity ......

I took the hot glue off the cart caps. Just the grommets are holding the barbs in. I had to trim one side of each of the grommets to get them to fit snug. I still would like to epoxy the barbs into the 510 cart caps, giving it a real clean look. Also if I didn't glue the caps in, I could swap carts on and off the y-pipe pretty easy. Then I'd like to clean off the hot glue up top, replace it with epoxy, sand it smooth and paint it. I might work more on it tomorrow, but I got a busy day. If I don't, my next day off monday....

0302002145.jpg

Shot at 2010-03-02

0302002145a.jpg

Shot at 2010-03-02

0302002144.jpg

Shot at 2010-03-02

farrar01

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2010
Washingtax State
I guess you can call it the holley 750 double pumper of vaping, but then again that's not really necessity ......

Actually, that was going to be my first suggestion but the name was already taken; so I figured I would suggest something more original. Your right though, not really a necessity. Nice mod, keep up the good work.

FreeGT

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2009
St. louis, MO
Hey FreeGT, where did you get that air flow valve??? I've been to two pet stores, wal-mart, and lowe's and I can't find it anywhere. I have all the other parts, just need the valve:(

I bought mine at a mom and pop fish store. I have 3 tanks setup at the moment, a 20, 55, and 125 gallon. I only trust someone who knows fish, (no walmart fish for me!) I honestly don't know where I got the valves from. I've been to probably 15 different pet shops for fish/supplies over the years......

Lee's Pond supplies sells the same valves I have. There are some out there in green as well.

Here's a link from google...Air Line Control Kit | Control & Check Valves | Air Pumps & Supplies | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread