Status
Not open for further replies.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
KGD because it's literally the only wicking material which I can't taste..

I have not, however, tried native wicks.. they likely didn't make that yet back when I went and bought all the various kinds of wicking to decide which one would work for me..

Black wings

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2019
Wlts UK
The age old cotton debate.
I must admit I had used muji mainly as I vape a lot of mtl rta/rda's which don't ask for much from wicking. I did prefer fibre freaks rayon blends for those tricky rta/rda's.
Things have moved on with the larger rta's. Things like the dead rabbit rta really need some quickly absorbent cotton so some of the specialized cottons are really helpful.
I developed a little dust allergy (I'm sure it happened when working for a pharma company, my generation didn't have many allergies) and recently I've found cotton fibres can make me wheeze so I'm having to use wicks with longer fibres that are less likely to shed.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
When I bought an RBA I started off with those squares of organic cotton. They weren't very fluffy and had a distinct cotton taste that took a while to wear off.

So I splurged and bought something called Cotton Bacon Prime. That stuff is next level and great for dual coil setups. It's thick, fluffy, quick-wicking, and the strands are aligned. You reach in the bag and pull out a wad of it and peel off a strip thick enough to fit your build. Then you fold it in half lengthwise and snip in the middle, which leaves you with two identical segments. Then roll an end between your fingers and slide it through the first coil, then repeat on the other. Snip off the excess, fluff it a bit and push the ends into your juice channels.

It has no noticeable cotton flavor and does a great job. It does take some practice to learn to eyeball it and pull off the right amount.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Were you referring to the Scott roll or KGD K?

Good luck. :)
Scottish roll. Waste of time for thinner juices imo. Just pulling off a strip of KGD works just as well for 70vg and under imo. Did find that native platinum works better for me as is with a bit of a comb. I don't find its so much better than KGD to justify the higher cost but it is a good product; then again I'm not using commercial juice which may make more of a noticeable difference.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
MacTechVpr, have you had any experience with Ekowool silica fibre? As it seems somewhat similar to 3m Nextel.

Sorry for the delay M. Short answer: Yes I have and it was my primary synthetic over silica for some time (exc. Protanks, too thick). Loose silica weaves tend to break down easily, gunk, overheat, etc. Problem with Eko is it's weave structure and fiber itself is very flacid so rather difficult to insert into any of the classical m.c. diameters being used at the time. These days I have an assortment of methods in use to thread into just about anything. But the truth is we're all better served by using larger coil diameters if we have adequate power. There's better flow and fluid distribution I think by virtue of reducing the likelihood of dense wick concentrations from over compression. Bottom, line it's easier to get organics in there evenly with more room for most of us.

So it comes down to a comparison of the three most viable options…Ekowool, 3M Nextel or their silica (XS) variant with similar weave. The latter is not quite as temp tolerant as the ceramic but it's flow rate is good. Also it doesn't taste quite so much silica. The versions I've used don't seem to have any "sizing" so there's no heat treatment necessary as with the ceramic (Kidney Puncher was one source). I've been meaning to return to those experiments even as I prefer the 3M XC-132. Without support for this media we risk losing our sole maker and supplier of pre-treated vape safe ceramic wicking (I don't endorse alternatives). That would be a sad statement for vaping as the flavor low power aficionados in the sqwonk universe were the first and most ardent devotees. The new wave of the 2nd coming of squonk have no clue. Truly unfortunate.

Post your questions here please if you can't find specifically by search. Glad to help.

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
MacTechVpr, thanks for the info and getting back to me.

I've got an idea of using a double pointed stainless steel knitting needle and then sliding hollow Ekowool onto it, and then wrap the coil on the Ekowool and needle. In theory it should work, but we will see.

That is the old school traditional method many (inc me) tried to encourage many years ago, towards rebuilding with a consistent metric. It does aid to gain some turn-to-turn consistency but it's not precisely repeatable. However, in that 1st year I joined ECF I introduced the principle of strain winding on the Protank MicroCoil Discussion!! and Tensioned Micro Coils. The next step. threads. It's a far more consistent method that can yield better vaporization efficiency with Kanthal coils. You use a "pin vise" and the drill bit of your choice to lightly stretch or strain the wire onto the bit as you wind. Try it, you'll like it.

Now for Eko and RxW (Nextel) you can coax the weave up to the coils inner walls with a needle that's about the inner core Ø of the wick, or slight larger. That's what I meant. Running that needle through the wick after it's installed to make sure it's contacting the wind uniformly end-to–end. Also I usually cut synth wick just a tad longer than actually needed by a few mm and situate it so the ends actually sit a bit higher than the coil. That's to make absolutely certain that those end-turn wire tops are in good contact (or they can go really hot with synthetics). Doesn't have to be much or you can lose contact of the wick with the bottom turn. Eyeball it well. Same thing for cotton and rayon, particularly the latter as it tends to sag more readily.

Last edited:

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Nextel 3M (RxW) weave is incomparable in flow and flavor neutrality. To the naysayers and skeptics I'd have to insist…as it's about the most neutral food surface we use for cooking next to stainless. The downside is that due to it's very consistent dimensions and rigidity you are limited to diameters that best fit it or about 2.5 to 2.85mm. Installed loose in 7/64" (2.778mm) you need to prime it really well and insert a needle that really fills it's hollow core to ensure good uniform contact with the coil. As you wash and/or dry-burn too every few days to maintain a flavor and output consistency that is at least as good as when you first cooked it.

Spy what Ø's you run the 4mm on, coil type/s, pwr level. I'm low to high (95W t.m.c. parallels) and can handle a lot of density. DIY accordingly. Cool enough I can still enjoy the nuances <25W.

Mac... from the start I've used many different combinations with the so called 2.7/3mm and 4mm RxW (I didn't liked so didn't use the 1.7mm/2mm I bought in the first order I placed for this wicking material years ago). So there is not just one simple answer to your questions. It's been long enough since I've wrapped/used coils that I'd have to dig out notes to bring back into memory the many variables when I built for what worked for my DL vaping style (mostly on mechs with low sub ohm builds), the particular atty's fluid dynamics/build deck, the kind of coil(s) used, the power they would be ran at and the particular DIY I would run in it mixed for my personal taste. I did call and talk to VapePour when I bought the 4mm (around 2 years ago), and started with their 4mm/>4mm recommendations for it, but in use sometimes I have fudged on build decks that required it to mount the coil/wick in a manner to get acceptable wick saturation (especially on some 22mm or smaller atty's).

Attachments

• sept1949.jpg
    sept1949.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 19
  • sept1949s.jpg
    sept1949s.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Black wings

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2019
Wlts UK
I still dable with the nemesis that is mesh too. Not so good for desert liquids but incredible for tobacco. This has largely disappeared these days. Yes it's a steep learning curve (set yourself a free day to get the basics) but my Lord it's worth it for tobacco and fruit juice and it lasts as long as your coil.
Fair warning to the uninitiated. A dry hit on mesh is like being kicked in the lung by a sumo wrestler.

Last edited:

Ben Killeen

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2018
Finland (British)
Rayon is like the perfect boyfriend it never lets me down. It also shrinks when wet, lasts longer than cotton and almost never leaks.

Oh, I could go on. I got me like 3 inches of Ready wick to try but I never did because I have rayon, and rayon has never given me a reason to pack up my stuff and go home.;

Anna
I wouldn’t have thought a perfect boyfriend would shrink when wet?

• Winner
Reactions: AngeNZ

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
I use cottonman Mavaton's Select and Carolina Blend cottons.

Why? I tried most of the other cottons out there and they just didn't work for me and were not as long lasting. Yes it costs more but for me it just works and has awesome flavor. Zero break-in time. Very long lasting.

I also use rayon but prefer cotton.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
I've tried a few of the premium cottons and tried/use rayon. Love to know what everyone else prefers and why ;)

Tried: (using mtl 15w doggystyle RTA)

Native wicks platinum blend - quick absorption, pure flavour, no cotton taste. Wicks last 2x longer than cotton pads

Kendo Gold - fluffy as hell, slow absorbtion, needs pulsing and poking to wet the wick. Once primed - pure flavour, wicks last 2x longer than cotton pads. Love this stuff ;)

Rayon: quick absorption, needs pulsing and priming to remove 'popcorn' taste. Once primed - pure flavour. Wicks last 2-3x longer than cotton' pads.

Currently I use rayon and kendo gold

I jumped on the rayon bandwagon a year ago when I started building and researching wicking materials. I’ve never used anything else and I have absolutely zero problems with leaking from ANY bottom air flow RBA that I’ve tried unless I wicked it incorrectly.

It works so why change besides I have a box that should last a lot longer than me lol!!

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
When I bought an RBA I started off with those squares of organic cotton. They weren't very fluffy and had a distinct cotton taste that took a while to wear off.

So I splurged and bought something called Cotton Bacon Prime. That stuff is next level and great for dual coil setups. It's thick, fluffy, quick-wicking, and the strands are aligned. You reach in the bag and pull out a wad of it and peel off a strip thick enough to fit your build. Then you fold it in half lengthwise and snip in the middle, which leaves you with two identical segments. Then roll an end between your fingers and slide it through the first coil, then repeat on the other. Snip off the excess, fluff it a bit and push the ends into your juice channels.

It has no noticeable cotton flavor and does a great job. It does take some practice to learn to eyeball it and pull off the right amount.
I have been using and recommending Cotton Bacon Prime ever since it became available to me a few weeks after it was officially released. If you keep rubbing it between your 3 fingertips, always in the same direction, and without actually pulling on it, it will slowly start to become a bit stretched out until finally it has the right thickness. Another useful tip IMO is to roll it into a sausage between the palms of your (clean) hands whilst applying mild pressure, as doing this will help to prevent the wicks from suddenly starting to degrade really fast whilst vaping on them, and, if you, like me, are a high wattage vaper it will also help to prevent the wicks from getting burned in half (a problem that doesn't as easily occur with Cotton Bacon 2.0; that is, until you know how to keep it from ever happening with Cotton Bacon Prime).

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
KGD and COTN threads for me.

In the past, always used KGD for everything. Received a sample pack of COTN threads with an online order and picked up a few packs of it after trying it in my RTAs.

I'm 99% a squonker, and my RDAs are very carefree as far as wicking with KGD. I don't even bother peeling the outer layers off. Just cut to width, wick the coil and cut the ends. No fluffing or anything required. I vape unflavored and can't taste anything related to the KGD cotton.

When I am using RTAs, I was converted after trying COTN threads, and that's pretty much all I use now for RTAs. Similar to the above, just pull it through, cut to length, and tuck in the ends. No dry hits, no leaking, just perfect. No fluffing, primping or anything special required. When I use KGD with RTAs, I have to be more careful and particular about how I wick them. With the COTN Threads, it's pretty much foolproof.

So I just pick up a bag of KGD pads, and I'm covered for a LONG time with my RDAs. Very inexpensive for how long the bag lasts.

With the COTN threads, I use single coil RTAs, and don't use tanks that often, so they last a while too. Especially with unflavored juice, I can go several weeks without rewicking. I said I would never pay for 'special' cotton, but for how simple it makes RTA wicking, it's worth it to me.

So, KGD for RDAs, and COTN Threads for RTAs

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
KGD and COTN threads for me.

In the past, always used KGD for everything. Received a sample pack of COTN threads with an online order and picked up a few packs of it after trying it in my RTAs.

I'm 99% a squonker, and my RDAs are very carefree as far as wicking with KGD. I don't even bother peeling the outer layers off. Just cut to width, wick the coil and cut the ends. No fluffing or anything required. I vape unflavored and can't taste anything related to the KGD cotton.

When I am using RTAs, I was converted after trying COTN threads, and that's pretty much all I use now for RTAs. Similar to the above, just pull it through, cut to length, and tuck in the ends. No dry hits, no leaking, just perfect. No fluffing, primping or anything special required. When I use KGD with RTAs, I have to be more careful and particular about how I wick them. With the COTN Threads, it's pretty much foolproof.

So I just pick up a bag of KGD pads, and I'm covered for a LONG time with my RDAs. Very inexpensive for how long the bag lasts.

With the COTN threads, I use single coil RTAs, and don't use tanks that often, so they last a while too. Especially with unflavored juice, I can go several weeks without rewicking. I said I would never pay for 'special' cotton, but for how simple it makes RTA wicking, it's worth it to me.

So, KGD for RDAs, and COTN Threads for RTAs
I find that Cotton Bacon Prime is actually LESS expensive in the long run. It wicks juice faster so the coils gunk up slower, which means I have to rewick less often, and, each time when I rewick I'm throwing away not just some cotton, but also the bit of juice that still remains, the battery power it takes to dry burn, the water it takes to rinse the build deck and the coils (I use sparkling water for that; I only use tap water for the final rinse). And then there's also the additional wear and tear caused on the mod used for dry burning to consider, the wear and tear caused on the coils by dry burning them, not to mention the time it all takes to rewick more frequently and to build new coils more frequently. As an important bonus, cotton Bacon Prime has virtually no break in time, giving me clean taste right off the bat as opposed to giving a cottony taste for the first half hour or so. It's a no-brainer for sure.

sorrynomore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 4, 2014
Canada
I've been using Shiseido cotton pads for a few years now.
For my single coil,low watt vaping style it's been working really well.I rewick every week but don't really need to as I vape a very very lightly flavoured juice or just plain unflavoured.

The 12 dollar bag's worth that I purchased at our local pharmacy will last many years to come and I've not found a reason to change....yet.

Rayon does sound interesting and I may try it down the road but,for now Shiseido it is. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread