Zephyrus V2, a noobs experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrikStari

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2015
So, I bought my new RTA, and my new mod, and am only awaiting the arrival of the batteries for my new mod.

I was amazed that myvaporstore.com managed to get the mod and RTA to me so quickly. The original shipping estimate was that it wouldn't be here till Monday, and here it is Saturday and my dad found it in the mail box. HUGE points to the USPS (whom I've always found reliable, and speedy....which is weird) and myvaporstore for awesome shipping.

So, down to my experience with the Zephyrus V2, so far (I will update this once I get the batteries for the Wismec Reuleaux RX200 and can run dual coils). Right now, I'm running a single coil, using the provided air channel block. The coil is twisted (26 or 28 gauge, I can't remember and I've had this roll of it forever) kanthal (two strands), and it's running at 0.4 ohm's at 20w.

Why am I not using dual coils yet? Because I'm using my Eleaf iStick 50w, and I've heard enough horror stories about this thing to make me terrified of going over 25w.

My thoughts so far:
Air flow: Incredible. My Kanger Subtank couldn't even come close. Even with one air channel blocked up.
Flavor: Hard to say. I'm currently using some gas station bought, Lex12 tobacco flavored juice. It's not terrible, but not great either.
Vapor production: Great. A HELL of a lot better than my ehpro fire RDA, and with a single coil, quite a bit better than my Kanger.

Overall, much smoother than my Kanger Subtank. Build quality is nice. Threads are good but not sharp and the packaging was good. Also, and this is one thing I am absolutely ecstatic about. NO POPPING. Seriously, I've heard this thing pop a fair bit, but have gotten almost no juice in my mouth. Which is awesome.

As far as the RBA deck goes, I am not sure how to feel. Now, I do like it a LOT better than the decks on my RDA or my Kanger. Both of which are an absolute ....-ache to get the leads locked down. However, I was expecting it to be...well, bigger. The distance between the center of the deck and the barrel that goes around it, is a lot smaller than I expected it to be. I'm going to need to get some ceramic tweezers, as I feel these metal tweezers I've been using aren't going to suffice.

Overall, I'm ecstatic over this thing. I cannot wait until my batteries arrive, and I can throw another coil in it an go to town. Currently, my only problem is this:

I've almost run out of juice. Got a little under 5ml left (and I'm just guessing).

(take all of this with my noob-ness into account)
(also drunkenness)

Last edited:

TrikStari

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2015
Well, to my surprise the batteries got here exactly when Amazon said they would.

Charged it up, and set up my first Dual Coil build on the Zephyrus V2

8 wraps each of the same Kanthal that I've been using (I think 28 gauge). Running at .22 ohms at 35w.
CTUidB0.jpg

Sorry if the image is a bit fuzzy. Not a very good camera, and I suck at photography anyways. The coils don't exactly glow in time with one another, but hey it's my first dual coil build so not bad. Especially considering I only had two 6in pieces of twisted wire left. To make matters worse, one of the coils got kind of wonky when I was trying to set it in place, but I managed to save it.
pWWx7wE.jpg

Holy mother of god this thing puts out a lot of vapor. Now I need to acquire better lungs lol. I will update once my shipment of Kanthal gets here some time between the 28th of this month and the 15th of next month. According to Amazon, the wire is in China right now.

Edit: The coil diameter is 1.5 mm.

Adam harris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2015
North Carolina
Yep. Even simple coils are still really good imo.

A 7-10wrap 26 gauge or 24 gauge around 2-3mm is about as good as it gets

unless your ready to crank up the wattage to 50+ to support clapton coils. It will drink juice.

I like twisted 28 gauge single coils around 1-1.5ohm in lemo 1 and lemo 2 anywhere from 12-30 watts. Usually 25 watts is nice and warm also packs a huge punch for flavor.

Are you ready to vape 10ml+ of juice per day using claptons

shatteredsoul76

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 23, 2014
    Portland, TN, USA
    I got this tank a few weeks ago and I really like it, the only downside for me is not being able to access the deck without losing the juice and the o-rings on the tank are really tight even with some juice as lube, Im afraid Ill crack it every time I take it apart for cleaning. The top fill works great and it hasnt leaked a drop unlike my Bellus. I just got in some 26 ga SS wire that I cant wait to try on it.

TrikStari

ECF Veteran
    Feb 14, 2015
    I got this tank a few weeks ago and I really like it, the only downside for me is not being able to access the deck without losing the juice and the o-rings on the tank are really tight even with some juice as lube, Im afraid Ill crack it every time I take it apart for cleaning. The top fill works great and it hasnt leaked a drop unlike my Bellus. I just got in some 26 ga SS wire that I cant wait to try on it.

Whenever I want to make a change, I simply open the top fill and pour the juice out into the bottle it came out of (after removing the nozzle). The only issue I am having is with wicking. I can't seem to get the wicks right on a dual coil setup, and I end up with leaking through the air holes. I think it might be because the coils I'm using are 1.5mm in diameter, so I just don't have enough cotton to stop the juice from pouring through.

shatteredsoul76

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 23, 2014
    Portland, TN, USA
    Whenever I want to make a change, I simply open the top fill and pour the juice out into the bottle it came out of (after removing the nozzle). The only issue I am having is with wicking. I can't seem to get the wicks right on a dual coil setup, and I end up with leaking through the air holes. I think it might be because the coils I'm using are 1.5mm in diameter, so I just don't have enough cotton to stop the juice from pouring through.

I started with 1.5 mm coils and didnt have any leaks, I moved up to 2 mm to try to get a little more flavor. You can insert the wicks through the coils and before you do any trimming simply push down the chimney onto the top of the base(dont screw it down), this will put an indent on the wicks and give you an idea where to trim them. After trimming I ease the wick upward to get the chimney screwed down then use a small screwdriver to push them into their final position in the top of the juice channels.

Hope this makes sense, there is a video on Youtube of the RBA in the V1 but its pretty much identical.

TrikStari

ECF Veteran
    Feb 14, 2015
    I started with 1.5 mm coils and didnt have any leaks, I moved up to 2 mm to try to get a little more flavor. You can insert the wicks through the coils and before you do any trimming simply push down the chimney onto the top of the base(dont screw it down), this will put an indent on the wicks and give you an idea where to trim them. After trimming I ease the wick upward to get the chimney screwed down then use a small screwdriver to push them into their final position in the top of the juice channels.

Hope this makes sense, there is a video on Youtube of the RBA in the V1 but its pretty much identical.

So, are the wicks supposed to go into the top of the juice channel, or should I be able to see the end of the wicks from the outside with the chimney screwed all the way down?

TrikStari

ECF Veteran
    Feb 14, 2015
    I put them in the top of the channels and if I see any from the outside and gently tuck them up just a little, this tank has been very forgiving so far.

I tried that, it only leads to severe leaking for me. Maybe it's the size or shape of my coil. But if I can't see the wick in the juice channel, I get leaking. Not sure why. Maybe I'm overfilling the tank? I try to get it to the top of the glass.

If it's not that, I think it's the diameter of my coil. I have to cut the wick so thin just to get it through, that I end up not having enough on the ends to properly fill the top of the juice channels.

TrikStari

ECF Veteran
    Feb 14, 2015
    gIRRauF.jpg

My first (successful) clapton coil in the new RTA. I tried some fused clapton coils but I appear to be having some kind of problem with them. They work for a few burns while I'm re-positioning them, then suddenly, before I've wicked them or put the chimney on, they stop reading and I get "atomizer short" or "no atomizer" from the mod. Checked all connections, no sure what's happening with that.

Anyways, the single core clapton is great. Throwing a lot of vapor, great taste, etc. Tomorrow I'm going to try and make a second one and get it in there to see how dual claptons goes. Right now I'm running at 30w and .45 ohms.

TrikStari

ECF Veteran
    Feb 14, 2015
    So, After some time with the Zephyrus, I have encountered some issue.

The Deck isn't nearly big enough for fused clapton or other fancy coil builds. At least not as far as I can manage. Even with the inner diameter at 1.5mm, I still have the fail-to-fire with a reading of "Atomizer Short" on my mod. If you want normal "micro coils" (still not entirely sure what that means. AFAIK it's just means you've heated the coil up and squeezed it to make it all touching).

The other, rather big issue I have found is the screws for the posts on the deck. Maybe it's just me, and I'm over-tightening the screws, I don't know for certain, but they seem to be rather easy to round out if you don't push down HARD to prevent the screw driver from slipping. Again, this could just be me tightening the screws down too much. I really need to invest in some low profile wire clippers. My only current way of snipping leads is a big pair of wire snips, nail clippers, or the good old fashion "grab the end, and keep moving it around until it breaks".

Just ordered a Geekvape Griffin RTA from Vapor DNA. I'll make a review of that. Ordered it because I want at bigger deck because I really like the fused clapton coils.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

One final issue I found, the post holes are a bit on the small side, and can be a bit frustrating to get the leads through, if you have sausage fingers like I do.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread