ZEUS Dual RTA: Cotton Lasts One Day HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paradiddle

Dec 12, 2018
New to forum...Hello!

Just bought a Zeus Dual RTA in a vape shop and asked for an RTA that worked on my Kanger Mod that max's at 50w's. He gave me a lot of cotton and after watching Zeus videos, my cotton lasts one day at best before burning out. I was told cotton lasts a week and coils a month which was why I bought over my coil tank...got tired of buying coils.

I know I need to grow in my cotton wicking builds. Pic is one day use...

Open to all help here...thank you and looking forward to this forum!!!

Attachments

• zz11z.jpg
    zz11z.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 413

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
New to forum...Hello!

Just bought a Zeus Dual RTA in a vape shop and asked for an RTA that worked on my Kanger Mod that max's at 50w's. He gave me a lot of cotton and after watching Zeus videos, my cotton lasts one day at best before burning out. I was told cotton lasts a week and coils a month which was why I bought over my coil tank...got tired of buying coils.

I know I need to grow in my cotton wicking builds. Pic is one day use...

Open to all help here...thank you and looking forward to this forum!!!
Extremely thick sweet juice is a likely culprit. Try a single coil build so you can take the wattage down.

Are you dry burning the coils clean before rewicking?

Paradiddle

Dec 12, 2018
thanks...i am using a kanger mod...low end for most of you but it is simple and i like it...was told in store the Zeus would work.

the coils are NOT the Zeus packaged...he made me i believe 27's...not sure the exact term...and i vape at 35-45 watts...i took it down. the juice is Mr Custard @6mg...lemon cake.

i watched videos and the demo's seemed to roll the cotton and it slid into coils easily...these have small diameters imo...just snug enough NOT to pull the coils on insert...wish i knew the type of cotton

my last wick seems much better as i tried thicker cotton fit...and i juice the cotton before inserting (tucking) and do clean (burn) the coils after each use...and clean tank

i think turning down to 35 watts is working better...less warm but thats ok for me...all i want to do is stay off the stinkies! lol as long as i get flavor over the cotton taste or harsh throat hit i am good...and the expectation of "one week" stuck in my head from shop...if i get two days i can wick again...cotton is cheap...and ea time i get better

thanks again...will keep working it

• Agree
Reactions: Letitia

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
There are some juices that just destroy coils and wick. Just picked up a Mochaccino flavoured juice – tastes great but I got a day’s use out of it before my coils/wick looked like they took a tar bath. And this was on a single coil atty at low(ish) wattage.

Remove the wick, give the coils a dry burn by pulsing the fire button at a lower wattage. This will burn off the caked-on juice. Good idea to rinse the deck after dry burning, just remember to remove it from your mod first. Re-wick and try a different flavoured juice if you wish.

Paradiddle

Dec 12, 2018
edit button did not work...for my post above:
* can i use the pre-made coils from the Zeus box given?
** with a mod maxing at 50 watts, what is the ideal coil build size to ask for? i think i have 27's built for this now...i could be wrong, sorry...new to RTA's over a tank with pre-made coils that simply screw in and go...but am learning...thanks again

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Going by memory, the pre-made coils that came with the Zeus are pretty high mass coils which will require a significant amount of power to alleviate ramp up time (time it take to reach optimum temperature). I tried them, didn’t care for them but can’t remember the wattage I tried them with…probably 60+ watts. If it was less I most likely would have kept using them.

Your coils should be fine, will just need to dry burn them to clean them up.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Would still try the single coil or a single wire dual build. Your juice is much of the problem here; most any custard will shorten the wick life. When your budget allows invest in a dedicated single coil rta or rda. The lemon cake would blossom in a rda. Lemon vapes are my favorite drips. Going to assume here you mean your build is a .27 resistance. Shoot for .4-.5 next build. 26g kanthal would be good for your setup and easy to work with.

Paradiddle

Dec 12, 2018
wow...great forum!!!
my last wick build for some reason is going strong day two...what did i do differently? not really sure...the vape shop cat really used a lot of cotton first build...i am experimenting on thickness to find the sweet spot. these coils do sit very close together and one video said barely let the cotton go past the tuck rim...also to wet the cotton before the tuck if they matters...

* do you do a few burns before screwing the tank on? does that matter? i see them do this in the shop a lot...

Paradiddle

Dec 12, 2018
UPDATE: two days and started to get a weird taste...noticed juice was darkening...cotton was pitch black! lol I mean...BLACK. Then I put new cotton after thorough clean and all gurgle...took apart, lost a lot of juice, tried again...cotton was too thin this time...so might get a day from this build. Issue I have is fear of breaking the coil with tight cotton pulling through coil...how tight and cotton pulls apart...it is the pulling the correct thickness from the large cotton supply. that is my challenge...and if i can join two slices of cotton to add for greater thickness...all part of learning curve you vets are laughing at or bored with! But...thanks for the support...feel less alone here!

• Love

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
There is a slight learning curve. But once you familiarize yourself with the whole process it will become second nature.

What type of cotton are you using? There is much debate over which cotton is best which I personally don’t really fall for, but there are brands that allow for easier wicking although at a cost.

Petabread

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2014
Miami, FL
UPDATE: two days and started to get a weird taste...noticed juice was darkening...cotton was pitch black! lol I mean...BLACK. Then I put new cotton after thorough clean and all gurgle...took apart, lost a lot of juice, tried again...cotton was too thin this time...so might get a day from this build. Issue I have is fear of breaking the coil with tight cotton pulling through coil...how tight and cotton pulls apart...it is the pulling the correct thickness from the large cotton supply. that is my challenge...and if i can join two slices of cotton to add for greater thickness...all part of learning curve you vets are laughing at or bored with! But...thanks for the support...feel less alone here!
To be honest, as others have said, it sounds like the juice you’re using is the biggest issue you’re having. It’s most likely loaded with sweeteners like Sucralose. That stuff will destroy your coils/wick. When I buy juice now, I pay attention to the name, as that’s my rule of thumb - if it’s got chocolate in the name, or caramel, coffee, cake etc, I stay away from these. They’re typically dark juices that are also loaded with sweetener, which is horrendous for build longevity. Juice companies just throw in sweetener to A) make it cheaply and B) make it taste good without needing a complex recipe.

If you want to PM me, I can give you the names of a few companies I came across on Reddit a few years ago that makes juice affordably, with little to no sweeteners (they only use sweetener when it’s absolutely necessary, and you can request for it to be removed entirely). Around $15 for 120mls.

As far as the Zeus Dual wicking - that tank was a pain in the .... for me, and I’ve been rebuilding for over 5 years now. I felt like I could use one microstrand of cotton and I’d still get a dry hit. What I ended up doing was pulling my wick as tightly as I could thru the coil and then I thinner the hell out of the wick tails until they were almost transparent. That way the juice could get into the tails easily, but there was still a large reserve of cotton inside the coil for absorption.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Going by memory, the pre-made coils that came with the Zeus are pretty high mass coils which will require a significant amount of power to alleviate ramp up time (time it take to reach optimum temperature). I tried them, didn’t care for them but can’t remember the wattage I tried them with…probably 60+ watts. If it was less I most likely would have kept using them.

Your coils should be fine, will just need to dry burn them to clean them up.
Nonono! The braided I run at 41W and they clock at .33 ohms. They're excellent, tasty coils, very recommended!

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Nonono! The braided I run at 41W and they clock at .33 ohms. They're excellent, tasty coils, very recommended!

Really? Maybe you got the svelte version cause I don’t recall mine being that efficient. Maybe I’m thinking of a different coil…will have to look through my jar of used (but still good) coils to see if I kept them. I do recall the specs were a bit vague and that I could not mimic the build in Steam Engine

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Really? Maybe you got the svelte version cause I don’t recall mine being that efficient. Maybe I’m thinking of a different coil…will have to look through my jar of used (but still good) coils to see if I kept them. I do recall the specs were a bit vague and that I could not mimic the build in Steam Engine
You aren't remembering wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread