Status
Not open for further replies.

keighles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2011
Maryland
The Zirconium springs that I received from the GG store and FMS ( I assume they are the same ones)
I have had a much better vaping experience with the Z coils than the SS ones. They vape more like Titanium than anything else I can describe.
Keep them coming imeo. no complaints here.....

steliosss

kindness always repays... be sure of that...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2012
Athens - Greece (GG land)
www.e-smokeguru.gr
I'm almost a month (in three days) with the same zirconium spring in my X1.
I change cotton every week and brush my spring every week with a toothbrush and only water ( I vape only VG)
It's still in excellent condition!!!:banana: Not the slightest rubbish is left over on it, tha taste is the same, only the colour is black.
Also I vape another one with flavour but I do only 1-2ml's per day so I'll tell you my results in a year :laugh:

NandyDC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2009
San Juan, PR
Now I have a lot of spools of different wires like nichrome, kanthal, ss, ti, and different sizes too but I dont know what to do with them since now I only want to use zirconium and of course Ti for Proteus. [emoji24][emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ariel_MX

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2010
Guadalajara, México
Has anyone tried the zirconium springs with temperature control? (TCR 0.0044)

Today I tried it, but I had to use a TCR of stainless steel 317 (0.00088), that value is far away of the TCR value for the zirconium.

Could it be that by mistake I reveived SS springs instead zirconium ones?

The resistance I am getting with those springs is of around 0.55 to 0.65 ohms, depending on how I install the spring.

Is there any other way to check whether they are of zirconium?

Reactions: stols001

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
Has anyone tried the zirconium springs with temperature control? (TCR 0.0044)

Today I tried it, but I had to use a TCR of stainless steel 317 (0.00088), that value is far away of the TCR value for the zirconium.

Could it be that by mistake I reveived SS springs instead zirconium ones?

The resistance I am getting with those springs is of around 0.55 to 0.65 ohms, depending on how I install the spring.

Is there any other way to check whether they are of zirconium?
its Zr Ariel. But the springomizer needs other values to work that the real ones. For example, I use 0,0012 temp corfficient to make it work. But if you want to be sure that its Zr, just measure it. Zr is made with a 0,4mm wire and I think that I never made SS springs at that diameter

Ariel_MX

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2010
Guadalajara, México
its Zr Ariel. But the springomizer needs other values to work that the real ones. For example, I use 0,0012 temp corfficient to make it work. But if you want to be sure that its Zr, just measure it. Zr is made with a 0,4mm wire and I think that I never made SS springs at that diameter

The springs have a diameter of 0.40 mm, so it confirms they are Zr springs.

Thank you :)

Ariel_MX

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2010
Guadalajara, México
By the way, I found and interesting PDF document, hosted by NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology), it's titled:

"Electrical Resistivity of Vanadium and Zirconium"
P.D Desai, H.M. James, and C. Y. Ho

To be honest I do not understand much :?:, but it looks very interesting (Zr information is at page 21).

www . nist . gov/data/PDFfiles/jpcrd259.pdf

(remove the spaces on the above link)

Marst

ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2011
Austria
Owning and loving a Dani extreme V2 from Dicodes, the Rolls-Royce of the mods in my eyes, I also wanted to own the Rolls-Royce of tanks and bought the X1 Springomizer.
Set the Dani to 25W and 170° to start with and made a Temp Calibration. Out came the best taste I experienced in my six years of vaping from the first moment.
BUT then I looked at the display and this showed crazy values from -600° to several thousand degrees plus.
I played around with the settings, changed the coefficient between 105 (SS setting) up to 150, nothing changed.
Tried it with my Cuboid box set to Temp SS316 and it jumped to power mode immediately.

I asked the people of Dicodes what I did wrong, and they replied that I did nothing wrong.
The springomizer just would not be suitable for temperature controlled vaping due to unstable connection of the spring. (expanding and moving when heated)
I did not try it with a Zirconium spring yet, as neither I nor the Dicodes Guy knew the correct coefficient of it.

Do you have any ideas as to springomizer and TC vaping?

Kind regards
Martin

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
Thank you for your nice words Martin! :)

I have said a lot of times that springomizer is not always suitable to temp control devices. But there is a trick that you can apply to dicodes and to any other temp control device to have the right vaping and the right temps on screen. Set the temp to 280 Celsius degrees and try several temp coefficients until you see that you dont have a burned taste. Then keep this setting for springomizer.

Example that will work: Set the temp coefficient to 13 for Zirconium and for SS please give me some time to tell you :)

soulseek

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
London, UK
There is an easier way for most TC mods. Dicodes for example TC works way down to 100C. So to make sure everything is working as intended soak your wick with water. When you activate your device your onscreen temperature on the Dicodes should reach 100C and stop there, if it is working correctly.

As for the behaviour you are describing in the Dicodes it usually happens when there is a short. Make sure the turns in the coil are spaced and they aren't touching each other.

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
Martin, you have to know something else. Springomizer is the only atomizer that doesnt have resistance legs, so you will never have a burn taste, something that is common on other constructions even if they have bolts and they are stable on tc. With the right value of temp coefficient on a temp control device, springomizer will give you the best taste ever

woita

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2014
Ohio
I just ordered Zirconium wire from German GG seller - really looking forward to trying it out.

Does anybody now the resistivity (Ohms/m) of that .35mm Zirconium wire that's being sold now?
From the linked video I gather that 8 wraps around 2mm (which would expand to 2.5mm) would give around .7 Ohms?

If that's correct that would be my first build attempt once the wire gets here.

TiA

woita

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2014
Ohio
Got my Zirconium wire today (that was fast, thx Arne!) and had a fun afternoon playing around with it.

Man, that's one springy and stiff wire, stinged myself alot. But by the taste I already get on a fresh build it's probably worth it. We'll see :)

First things first, needed to learn to build that beasty stuff:

As I said before I was aiming for something like .7 Ohm and "tried" with 8 wraps@2mm: well, it was my first attempt, I stinged myself a lot and I wanted to get to vape it, so I miscounted, only 7 wraps and a hell of an ugly build:
FullSizeRender-7.jpg
Turned out to be .5 Ohm, but given the crappy build, it vaped really well; regulated at 25W that is.
Since I'm all mech now (who'd guessed that, thx Imeo :p) it was a bit too hot for me. Plus, .5 Ohm is below my personal safety threshhold, so I rebuilt.

This time 8 wraps (counted twice) @2.5mm; the build got better, I "learnt" that if you pull real hard and wrap the other end around your finger while building the coil and keep pulling all the time (and ignore the pain), one can get a decent coil out of this wire.
However it's still springy, so it extended to something probably around >3mm, resistance was spot on @.75Ohm though.
So I gave it a try
FullSizeRender-6.jpg

Too large a diameter for me, faar too much wire to be heated. Took 1sec to ramp it up from cold and my Tile got real hot when chain vaped.
Still a good vape, but not for me as well.

So back to my initial plan, 8wraps@2mm - after I learnt to ignore the pain and build a proper coil, it looks like this:
FullSizeRender-1.jpg FullSizeRender-2.jpg FullSizeRender-5.jpg

wicked it
FullSizeRender-4.jpg

and it vapes
FullSizeRender-3.jpg

perfectly so at .65Ohms
IMG_3781.JPG

and it tastes exceptionally well right out of the box. No "breaking in" time.
A springy little beast, but worth the effort so far.
Built two of my Tiles like that now; one's on a GG4S, the other on a Cyb.
Chain-vapable, reponsive, not too hot...

I'll get back to you after my first rewick (which could take some time :) )

Happy vaper here for now.

gekka

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2015
Germany
Got my Zirconium wire today (that was fast, thx Arne!) and had a fun afternoon playing around with it.

Man, that's one springy and stiff wire, stinged myself alot. But by the taste I already get on a fresh build it's probably worth it. We'll see :)

First things first, needed to learn to build that beasty stuff:

As I said before I was aiming for something like .7 Ohm and "tried" with 8 wraps@2mm: well, it was my first attempt, I stinged myself a lot and I wanted to get to vape it, so I miscounted, only 7 wraps and a hell of an ugly build:
View attachment 585603
Turned out to be .5 Ohm, but given the crappy build, it vaped really well; regulated at 25W that is.
Since I'm all mech now (who'd guessed that, thx Imeo :p) it was a bit too hot for me. Plus, .5 Ohm is below my personal safety threshhold, so I rebuilt.

This time 8 wraps (counted twice) @2.5mm; the build got better, I "learnt" that if you pull real hard and wrap the other end around your finger while building the coil and keep pulling all the time (and ignore the pain), one can get a decent coil out of this wire.
However it's still springy, so it extended to something probably around >3mm, resistance was spot on @.75Ohm though.
So I gave it a try
View attachment 585605

Too large a diameter for me, faar too much wire to be heated. Took 1sec to ramp it up from cold and my Tile got real hot when chain vaped.
Still a good vape, but not for me as well.

So back to my initial plan, 8wraps@2mm - after I learnt to ignore the pain and build a proper coil, it looks like this:
View attachment 585607 View attachment 585609 View attachment 585615

wicked it
View attachment 585613

and it vapes
View attachment 585611

perfectly so at .65Ohms
View attachment 585617

and it tastes exceptionally well right out of the box. No "breaking in" time.
A springy little beast, but worth the effort so far.
Built two of my Tiles like that now; one's on a GG4S, the other on a Cyb.
Chain-vapable, reponsive, not too hot...

I'll get back to you after my first rewick (which could take some time :) )

Happy vaper here for now.

Thanks for the report! maybe a coilmaker is worth a try? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread