AdaptaveR video review/first thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notwell25

Sep 20, 2009
Phoenix

I dig this video too! Except I think the design has changed to the rounder edges instead of being beveled. Looks better now IMO. Mine should arrive tomorrow... except I wont be able to use it. It doesn't come with batteries, so I went to a "batteries-Plus" store to pick some up, and apparently the cr123's are extremely difficult to find in 3.6V unless you order them online. Now I gotta wait again! :(

I guess maybe I just answered my original question as to why it's not as popular. You have to get the batteries and atomizers separately making it a bit more costly than meets the eye. When all is said and done though... I really think I'll be glad I went with this little guy.

TommyGunBC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2009
Vancouver B.c.
Yes you will love your Adaptever I have a bunch of mods and my Adaptever travels with me where ever I may roam solid device and nice and small I like the cr2 HV sleeve much more than the cr123 sleeve as it isn't as long and I find the cr2's even though they don't last as long as the 123a lifepo4 batteries a better option for me . good luck with your shiny new toy:D

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
Thad is milling a custom device for me right now. I wanted only a CR2 version of the AdapteveR. He is turning all the components of my device on the mill at the same time to minimize the seams between the device body, adapter connector and atomizer adapter. I hope to see it in my mailbox early next week. I was totally thrilled to find a vendor capable of making a custom creation at such a reasonable price. Based on the written and video reviews of the AdapteneR, I am certainly going to be pleased with this device.

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
I asked Thad to machine an AdapteveR with an 801 adapter specifically for use with 2 CR2 batteries. I did not need a sleeve for 3.7 volt vaping, I just wanted an AdapteveR to run purely at 6 volts. It hit my mailbox this afternoon, and within 10 minutes of using it, I proclaim the AdapteveR to be a brilliant, finely-crafted device.

The beauty of the AdapteveR is in it's simplicity. The device is very plain with elegant tapered ends. The weight from the thick walls of the tube give it a firm and comfortable feel in my hand. The bottom button has just the right amount of resistance to a pinkie or ring finger push. It is nearly 100% mechanical and uses no wires or solder. This thing just plain works, and works very well. It consistantly fires my atomizers everytime.

The workmanship is top quality. The finish is silky smooth, threaded connections glide together, and the replaceable button ensures years of reliable service. All fit and finish on the AdapteveR looks professional and well-engineered. Case in point is the 801 adapter alone. It is fantastic. It took an SLB801 and a BE112, no problem. Some devices cannot always handle these two atomizers; this one did it and with a very secure and solid thread match with both atomizers. There is no wiggling of an atomizer on this adapter.The CR2 batteries do wiggle in the battery tube, but screw on the atomizer adapter section and all wiggle is gone. You can shake this thing and you will not hear the slightest bit of rattle.

Of course, there are always a few nitpicky items for consideration. The button does not lock. If you plan to carry the AdapteveR with you, remove the atomizer when putting it in a pocket, briefcase, pocketbook, etc. Thad might also consider adding a few small holes in the battery tube to vent battery emissions in the event of a catastrophic battery failure. While a remote possibility, the feature would be easy to incorporate in the design and is becoming a standard feature on many new custom devices coming to the marketplace.

Without a doubt, I can easily recommend an AdapteveR for anyone who is looking for a custom-made battery pack. I expect to use the AdapteveR each day in my rotation of devices. If you are not married to the concept of having a side-mounted button, this device is terrific. Bottom buttons are much easier to use than many vapers think. I used to be sold purely on a side button, but quickly changed my mind after purchasing a device with a bottom button.

Notwell25

Sep 20, 2009
Phoenix
Found a neat little trick to keep the button from inadvertently pressing while in my pocket without having to remove the atomizer. The rubber end from one of those lighter leashes fits the end of the Adaptever perfectly. It holds snug, pops right off when needed, and looks great while attached! The rubber end can be used with or without the actual leash connected. It only costs $2 and is definitely a steal for some peace of mind!

On a side note, I had an issue with the button end of my unit not fitting perfectly. It worked great, but the button end was machined just a slight hair smaller than the sleeve. I emailed Thad about it, he assured me it wasn't typical and went head over heals to resolve my knowingly petty issue without me even having to ask. It's nice to know he's as OCD about the quality of his product and customer service as I am about... well, everything!

miss MiA

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
Of course, there are always a few nitpicky items for consideration. The button does not lock. If you plan to carry the AdapteveR with you, remove the atomizer when putting it in a pocket, briefcase, pocketbook, etc. Thad might also consider adding a few small holes in the battery tube to vent battery emissions in the event of a catastrophic battery failure. While a remote possibility, the feature would be easy to incorporate in the design and is becoming a standard feature on many new custom devices coming to the marketplace.

In pics of the AdapteveR it looked to me like there is perhaps one vent hole in the battery tube, down towards the end the atty goes on; am I mistaken? I was further guessing that maybe there is a venting system consisting of that, plus a design where the force of the emissions would easily cause the switch/button to pop off, so they'd exit from its hole on that 'distant' end..?

(If I happen to be correct in the latter, would it be likely to damage any parts of the unit in a way that would require technical skills to repair?)

If there is in fact no single vent hole or other system, would it hurt functionality in any way to just (have someone ;)) drill a few holes in the body?

All of the above is uninformed guessing, so any input on it would be much appreciated!

miss MiA

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
Found a neat little trick to keep the button from inadvertently pressing while in my pocket without having to remove the atomizer. The rubber end from one of those lighter leashes fits the end of the Adaptever perfectly. It holds snug, pops right off when needed, and looks great while attached! The rubber end can be used with or without the actual leash connected. It only costs $2 and is definitely a steal for some peace of mind!!

Hi Notwell, could you please clarify what a "lighter leash" (and its rubber end) is? A link to an example of one would be great. Thanks!

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
hello miss

Don't know what a lighter leash is.

There is no vent hole, what you are probably seeing in the pics is the set screw that holds the atomizer adapter in place.

Go ahead and send questions about the AdapteveR to Thad through the contact page on his his site.
http://www.adaptever.com/contactus.sc
Very personable fellow and usually pretty quick to respond to inquiries.

Notwell25

Sep 20, 2009
Phoenix
Hi Notwell, could you please clarify what a "lighter leash" (and its rubber end) is? A link to an example of one would be great. Thanks!

Its from one of those retractable cords you can get for your old bic lighter to keep people from stealing it. It fits the Adaptever just as securely as it does the lighter, and the PV's button cannot be activated.

lighterleash.com (They sell them at many gas stations for $2-$3)

I honestly haven't had too much of an issue with the button to need the cap on a regular basis... but it definitely comes in handy for lengthy or rough pocket days.

Last edited:

miss MiA

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
Ok, I *finally have an AdapteveR in my hands and I'm THRILLED with it! :wub: (*It was shipped lightning fast weeks ago, but due to an emergency, I unexpectedly had to leave town the day after ordering. Just had it forwarded on to me, yay!)

It's much smaller and more convenient to use than I expected. From this small-to-medium-build 'chick's' perspective, it doesn't feel large or bulky in my hand at all. The only PV I've used before is the KR808D with XL batt, and the AdapteveR is about an inch shorter than that, so it actually fits better in my hand. Especially since I was already used to having my hand or finger(s) over the end of a PV, because much of the time I like to cover up the KR808D's LED... if for no other reason than preferring not to advertise it every time I need a nic fix. ;-) And there are several ways to press the button that all feel natural to me, so the button location isn't bothering me a bit.

In fact, while I don't know if the guys will appreciate this description lol, I think it's cute as a button! Somehow much more attractive than it appears in pics, especially with the colorful V4L cartos I'm currently using with it. (There are also sources for blank colored labels.) So far it doesn't seem to me like fingerprints on the shiny finish will be a bother, but if so or maybe just for 'fun' someday, maybe I'll give it a sateen finish using the kind of cloth Zofryer mentioned in a post I have bookmarked somewhere.

And oh yeah, another little detail -- it works!! :D I ordered both the 510 and 901 inserts, and so far have only tried them with cartomizers: The 901 as-is, and the 510 with a KR808D adapter from altsmoke. The former combo (901 with carto loosened a hair, must be just right) creates a harder draw than I'm used to, but is kinda nice for a change of pace, and seems to give stronger throat hit than the latter. The latter combo (510 + adapter + carto) creates a light and airy draw, which I do like, and is also best for the sporadic occasions I have when vaping anything (above 0mg nic anyway) tickles my throat and makes me cough.

I've never vaped with a 510 or 901 "as intended" (i.e., sans KR808D carto), but I now have all the supplies together to try them every which way. The parts from other sources are all fitting well on the AdapteveR, and of course it fits its own self beautifully too! I'm so glad I realized how important this kind of ace machining and design is for the long haul and big picture.

Soon I should finally be able to decide which atty type I want to order a ton of, and I already covered the bulk unflavored eliquid aspect. Now with at least one solid built-to-last mod under my belt, I think I'm well on my way to my "safe place" lol. It had simultaneously felt so good and so bad to be finding out about ecigs just a few weeks ago... Good for all the obvious reasons, but 'bad' to realize how fast I should move and how much I should 'study' towards that immediately; at a time when I'd rather just be having fun with it and discovering it all at a leisurely and natural pace. But I digress!

I couldn't resist completing things by getting the 6V sleeve, so I still have playing with that to look forward to also. But I'm really not in a rush to try 6V for what will be my first time. I figure *if* 3.7V still satisfies me enough once I completely drop analogs, why raise the bar and start burning through what may become very precious supplies that much faster! But yeah, we'll see how long that resolve lasts!

Anyway. Count me amongst happy AdapteveR customers! :thumbs:

miss MiA

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
Alright, am compelled to post a follow-up: Oh crap, I'm sunk (;)). 6V with 510 insert/KR808D adapter/carto = deep, serious, abiding, possibly obsessive love. Will I ever be able to erase the memory of this and use ultra portable, supply-conservative 3.7V devices/configurations as my mainstay again? I rather think not. 8-o Bless you and curse you, mister Thad!

While I should tinker a bit more with the other styles at 6V, as expected, I think cartos at 6V is gonna be THE one that floats my boat. To me it tastes/feels like a KR808D at 5V (which I've tried via USB pass-thru), and of course some think 5V is the sweetest spot of all. Maybe what creates that effect/takes things down a notch is that the KR808D adapter adds airiness (I imagine some may find it too airy), but then the 6V cracks down on it and makes it get serious again. But not serious enough to cross the line into harshness or flavor loss.

So much flavor, so much vapor IMO, lovin it. (And ah, my verdict is finally in -- I do believe the atty style I'll buy in bulk will be KR808D carto blanks. Hope it even approaches the bliss of these prefills at 6V.) Another unexpected thing I found is that, presumably due to the warmth of the vapor at 6V, I don't get that occasional tickle cough that I always have at regular voltages. That is MOST welcome also.

Ok, off to look for one of those neoprene & velcro device holders meant for use during exercise, so I can keep my AdapteveR strapped to my arm!

miss MiA

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
Aw c'mon miss, tell us what ya really think about the AR :D

Well ok, if you insist! :lol: Actually, I had been itching to add just one more thing:

While some of what I've talked about may not be device-specific per se, to me ALL of it is in a way. Because with the AR I believe I can be more confident that I'll be able to continue doing/enjoying those things for a long long time. Although there are of course many other mods out there, it was no 'accident' that I ended up with this one. In addition to the AR's well-known construction quality, it means everything to me that it has all-mechanical and *user-replaceable, readily-available parts!* I don't have electronics skills (and offhand can't think of anyone who if necessary could help me fix a model that required soldering, gluing, wiring, crimping, whatever), and don't want to need them in order to feel secure during any potential hard times for ecigs.

Ok whew, that should do it... for awhile... maybe. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread