Burning Cartomisers? Dangerous?-510/Kr808/4081...etc filler type cartos

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougp925

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
NY USA
I posted some info about my experiences with the E9 cartridges burning as you smoke them in the vaporello review thread. I wanted to give this topic its own thread so that more people might see it and be able to chime in with their own experiences. To summarize, I've found that the E9 cartridges physically burn as I used them, sometimes only after 50 puffs sometimes after 150 puffs. I wouldn't even taste the burning but when I opened the cartridge, it was indeed burnt and charred inside. I think most people who use a cartomiser model have experienced the horrible burnt taste towards the end of the life of the cartridge(just before they refill and continue using the cartridge). Also, most people who refill them find that a black burnt liquid sometimes leaks out. (Burnt e-liquid)

Someone else posted pics of this issue here:
Sorry I cant post the link yet(<15 posts), but this search term should take you right to some good pics: (can someone else please post the link)

disposable-autopsy-smoke51-epuffer

I believe that alot of us are actually "Smoking" the cartridge material and "burning" the e-liquid it contains. I'm not sure if this is a Real Health Risk or not. I'd also like to see how many of you are "smoking" this matrerial without even realizing it. Because the heating coil is directly touching the cartridge matterial, I would think this burning is more common than we think.

If you can, please follow these simple steps to take apart a used cartridge and share your results with everyone here. Here are the steps:

1. Take a cartridge that you've been using(lets say for about 7 or so cigarettes) which has no indication of burning. (Or try using a fully used-up cartridge and started tasting burnt, its up to you)
2. Using a tweezer, remove the plastic tip on the mouthpeice side.
3. Using a tweezer, pull up on the wire coming out of the center of the cartridge unitl it breaks.
4. Using a tweezer, gently pull the entire roll of cartridge material out of the cartridge.
5. Unroll this material and tell us what you see in the center of the roll. Is it charred and black, then you been inhaling that SMOKE.

Do you ever hear a crackling or poping sound coming from the cartridge. I beleive that is the material burning. I held some of the cartridge material over an open flame and it made that very same crackling/popping sound as it burned.

It only takes a minute to do this and I'm wondering if the results vary by ecig manufacturer or cartomiser manufacturer. I really don't want to be an alarmist, but I've never seen any other e-cig that actually produces SMOKE. Also, I'm not too concerned about the dangers of e-liquid vapor but this is possibly "BURNING" the eliquid and the cartridge material. Does anyone know if this is TOXIC??

Last edited by a moderator:

zelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2009
Echo Beach
And a belated check-in here. Wow it's been 2 years since Alz has posted.:( Happy Thanksgiving!

tenor (1).gif

br5495

Old Man Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2010
Liberty, Texas
rain%20gauge_zps3xebnxsv.jpg

Hey BR! So.. What you think about all this freaking RAIN we been getting? We've had 4 floods just in May alone. But I guess you know what they say about our Republic - feast or famine. Guess this is another history-making drought-buster! I think - don't quote me on this - but I will say under oath that we've had at least 20 inches of rain this month! March thru May 29th so far - I will say without question we've had at least 40 inches of rain! How you and Ms. Peggy holding up? Are y'all thinking about building an ARK like I am????
We had another flood last night - 4th one this month...
Life goes on here...... certainly is not boring!
Stay safe down there.
Love you both,
Amy/Harold

br5495

Old Man Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2010
Liberty, Texas
Haha so I got 'censored' by ECF. Whatever. So I use a few 'colorful metaphors' as Spock said in Star Trek I The Movie. Censor me; I care not. The point is, I see that vaping has not only saved me thousands of dollars, but it has helped restore my health. Let the facts speak for themselves, and Pi$$ on these BS 'studies' they keep coming up with. Can you say MEDIA MANIPULATION, anyone?????

My lungs have always looked pretty good, even while I was smoking. As a matter of fact, one doctor even got PO'd after seeing a chest X Ray that he insisted on having done even after I told him I didn't need one. I'm not saying my lungs are getting better all the time, but according to CT Scans, they looked better a few days ago than they did last year. Not bad for someone who will be 80 years old in two weeks, huh?

I believe e-cigarettes played a part in this improvement. This is because glycol absorbs water or fluid that is exhaled from my lungs. Glycol also reduces my sinus drainage and I do not cough, spit, and blow by nose as much. A side effect, if you want to call it that, is a dry mouth and lips.

There are some things that do not require BS 'studies'. If I see a rattlesnake in my back yard, I am not gonna form a committee and run a study on rattlesnakes. I'm just gonna get rid of that sucker.

BTW, the water from up the country is slowly being reduced. The water under the Trinity River bridge here in Liberty is about 3 feet less than it was, but the river is still way above flood stage and plenty of it is still in the river bottom. The river bottom here is more than a mile wide, so we're still talking about a lot of water.

br5495

Old Man Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2010
Liberty, Texas
Thanks to all you kids for all your Happy BD wishes. I read them all, but didn't reply to each one because it is so slow and difficult for me to use the keyboard nowadays.

I had a nice birthday. My four daughters took me out to my favorite eating place and we had a good time along with the good food. I spent the rest of the day in bed, heheh. Unfortunately Peggy didn't feel well enough to get out this day.

My party wasn't until a few days later on Saturday. A bunch of people were here most of the day and most of us had a fun day. It was the happiest day I had in a long time. One I will never forget.

There are some things I'd like to say to some of you and same things I'd like to say about cartomizers. Please forgive me for not doing so at this time. I'm old but I ain't quit yet.

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
The reason for the heat is because the nickle coil wire has no resistance, or almost no resistance. This 'almost' no resistance is called sub ohm.

not necessarily, br ;) tc nickel and sub-ohm are not the same. while both seem to fall in the category of sub-ohm, sub-ohm coils marketed as such are not nickel coils and if you are still using the aspire atlantis you, more than likely, have a kanthal or nichrome sub-ohm coil which should not be used on a mod in tc mod.
the istick 40 watt tc is an excellent little mod in variable wattage mode but i'm not sure if it can fire a sub-ohm coil. :(
atlantis coils are available in 1 ohm though and applying 9 watts in vw will give you the 3 volts you are used to and like ;)

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Is this a dare? :lol: I may just fill one up and see what happens. Just for you, Bad! :D
Not a dare, but help yourself. I still have a fond memory of how a good cartomizer sounded and tasted like. You remember that soft crackling sound?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
For $12, should be in every vaper's anti-FDA stash. The telescoping battery tube has no stops, so any battery from 18350-18650 will fit, even those misfits that don't quite fit another mod. eGo threading, too!
I sold quite a few of these when working in the vape shop a few years ago. Many vaper's first mech mod. What I remember, not very durable for a mech mod and had squeeky threading, but for the price I guess that was to be expected. Hope you enjoy yours. :)

Last edited:

br5495

Old Man Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2010
Liberty, Texas
You lost, cowboy? :)

So I am... Welcome back! How are you doing? How's Peggy?

I was lost, but now I am found, heheh.

Peggy and I are doing fairly well now, but for the past couple of months both of us have been in and out of hospitals more than once and otherwise down and out. I'm not fussing though. I'll be 80 in July and didn't think I'd last this long.

How you been?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread