Status
Not open for further replies.

Devonmoonshire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Diego, CA
Okay, I have been doing some number crunching due to a LOT of complaints in several threads and other places and things I have read and heard all over the place regarding Cartomizers.

Now I have heard how short the lifespan of some cartos are or how quickly some people go through them, "This carto is Garbage! It only lasts like 2 days"

Okay so, AND I AM ONLY BASING THIS ON MY PERSONAL COSTS, my cartos cost 1.99 a piece, juice 18 Dollars a bottle. Cartos are 2.5 ML cartos, Measured not advertised.

Okay so lets break down the cost to me should I actually "ONLY" get 2 days out of a carto. I refill it twice a day at $1.50 per refill. So 3 dollars for two refills plus 99.5 cents per day for the carto that "Only" lasts 2 days. This totals a Whopping $7.99 for two days of vaping pleasure.

Now I get a Whole lot longer out of my Cartos than 2 days, I usually get 3 to four weeks on average out of them in my DC MAP tank.

Now I myself was a 1.5 to 2 pack a day smoker and with the National Average Cost of a Pack of Cigarettes being well over 6 to 8 dollars a pack and in some places over 10 dollars a Pack There is No Way that anyone can say that this is NOT a Money Saver :D Because even at the Low end of the spectrum on Cigarette costs it is still cheaper by about 4 times or more to vape no matter what carto you use to vape.

Just my Observation and I figured I would post it;
Nate aka Darth Vapor

o4_srt

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Lancaster, PA
Using boge cartos (the gold standard, IMO), and higher percentages of PG, a carto can easily last 1-2 weeks.

Those that are having them die in 2 days are either a) using a juice that is too thick/dark, b) not refilling until they have burnt the carto, or c) not using boge's.

I've recently made the decision to decrease VG percentages (volume of vapor has fallen in priority now that ive been vaping for well over a year), and have noticed a significant increase in carto life.

And as I mostly DIY juice, I'm well under $1 a day as well. Months ago, I determined that I could vape for less that $75 a year.

ambientech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
somewhere
I am at 3.5 weeks into vaping and with testing new things out trying to find what is the perfect vape I have spent more than I would with pre-made cigs. I bought 3 different PV's including a Provari so that has a lot to do with the increased cost. I have settled down now and feel like I have the setup I enjoy most. I figure even with testing new carts or juices I can come in less than what I was spending making my own cigs which was what I have been doing the last year. It cost me 35 dollars a week on MYO which is still much less than store bought which I would pay about 85 dollars a week. No one can tell me it is more expensive to vape.

Dingus

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2011
Belgium
For me it's still more expensive. Mostly because I went a little crazy and wanted to test different PV's and mods (though I haven't even begun with the more expensive mods), and I still haven't found an all-day vape. So I have over 50 bottles, some of which I don't like at all, and some that I kinda like but I only vape for a few hours and then don't touch it - and after a while I just throw out the carto I used for it since I don't trust it anymore... Then there's some juices that I absolutely love but they gunk up my carto's too fast, even at 70/30 pg/vg.

But I'm sure that once I find a few juices that I can vape all day every day, it'll start getting less expensive. At least I hope so :)

kabonk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2010
NW Detroit Burbs
I'm paying 4.95 per 5 pack of boge lr and standard cartos and I get about 2 weeks of daily use out of them I pitch them when they start tasting burnt I definitely feel I'm getting my dollars worth. even if I pitched 1 a day which I don't they would still be a good deal considering I used to spend about $12 a day on smoking

Last edited:

OJsakila

Oct 11, 2011
Savannah, GA
How do you do that? A prefilled Bloog or Volt carto lasts me a couple of hours max...

Hmm I dont know. This is a pre filled carto for the Mistic. Its a pretty cheap pv but it produces tons of vapor and each carto lasts 2 to 3 days...pretty impressive, really. The battery lasts just as long, as well. (Google it. Its pretty new but getting good reviews..) Plus, I'm a 40+ year old that has smoked a pack and a half for 25 years... So I'm not really hoarding it.. I'm puffing all day long lol

erich

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2011
Atlanta, GA
3-4 weeks out of 1 carto? Isn't it... well, disgusting?

My daily juice is tinted, but not extremely dark, but cartos start getting discolored by it after a couple of days... I've never had one die before I felt like it was old enough to replace.

EDIT: smaller image
menthol-usa_1.jpg

Last edited:

Devonmoonshire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Diego, CA
WOW, That is a lot of really Great, albeit extremely variable responses. Which is exactly what I predicted would happen. I love bringing out the diversity on this subject, because some of us just want cheap and easy others like me who have a bit more of an addictive/adventurous personality prefer to find the Very Best that suits our needs and meets them without a problem.

I too spent a lot more in my first few months of vaping than I would have ever spent on analogs. However I am spending a lot less now and for the past four or five months since I got my Provari, other than the occasional new MOD or perhaps even a mass produced kit that really strikes my interest, (Not Likely), I only buy maintenance supplies, juice, cartos and atty's.

Thank you all for all of your excellent responses;

Nate aka Darth Vapor

Ricjamz

Sep 28, 2011
Spicewood
I haven't smoked but been vapin for two days, and it has been awesome.The initial blast for starting this stuff up has been tremendous but I have a near complete DIY nic Lab and flavas, I went and got the ggts with x batts and stuff to also make home mods for my friends and family. I have been head deep in something i use to make fun of a month ago. I tried a green smoke, and it was almost effective until I had to reup on the cartomizers and then realized how much time I spent to charge a bat every hr. but so far the gg has taken care of me by far.

Shilo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
Here & There
How do you do that? A prefilled Bloog or Volt carto lasts me a couple of hours max...

LOL Dingus you sound like my husband and the person who said a prefilled lasts a day is like me. Thats why we stopped with the prefills after the first order. It might be just fine for one person but two person vaping I'd need a second job or maybe my husband does he vapes like a fiend.

leftfeild

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2011
Scotland
Compared to rolling my own, I'm not making much of a saving at all. But I can stand up for more than a few minutes without feeling like I'm going to pass out and I can taste again, breathe again... and I'm only 24. I'd rather pay a little more £ to vape than pay in my health.

That and now I've gotten all my DIY gear in, I'm ready to save a ton with my uber low 6mg nic needs yeaaaaaah :2cool:

bjannr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
I have been at this since July 2010. I spent way more up to this time than I would have smoking. But the reason for this is I bought alot of mods. If I had discovered bottom feeders and cartomizers earlier, my costs would have been alot less. I have juice/cartos to last me for months. So my monthly cost SHOULD drop to 0 for at least 4-6 months, then I can foresee a monthly budget of $80 or less. Actually the extra money was worth it for the benefits of not smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread