Ex smokers. Do you plan to keep vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
I don't plan to ever stop vaping. I have a lot of money tied up in this hobby of mine, and I enjoy it greatly.

I was a chain smoker and worked my way up to nearly 4 packs a day after 42 years of smoking. I started off vaping 24mg of nic and continued that for well over a year. I'm now down to 6mg and thinking of trying to go down to 3mg.

I consider vaping to be a great success in my ability to quit smoking. I tried many times to quit. It seemed like every time I tried to quit and failed I smoked more than I had before I tried...kind of like trying to make up for lost time smoking. I even tried hypnosis twice and acupuncture. Needless to say, nothing worked for me until I started vaping. It even took me 3 tries at vaping before it worked. Being a hard core chain smoker who quit by vaping speaks for itself at to how vaping can work for pretty much anyone.

Nowadays I can stand right next to a smoker and not crave a smoke. I don't enjoy the smell, but it doesn't bother me in the least either. I call that a win. :thumbs:

I smoked for about 45 years or so. I'm smoke-free almost two years now, thanks to e-cigs. I can't stand the smell of burning tobacco now. It's really awful.

Scotticus93

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
Yorktown, Virginia, United States
I understand this statement completely even though my sig says its been 4 months. I've had tried many times in the past to try to kick that stinky habit to no avail fortunately I had a friend resuscitate my curiosity into vaping again. Its too bad the pen style couldn't give me the edge to quit but the thought never left me!
What is your setup now

StrahmNoMore

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Fort Wayne, IN
I'll say it was pretty cool at my last doctor's visit to read the medical report and see ex-smoker. I told the nurse I vape. I really don't think the medical community is opposed to it. Anyway, after vaping for 7 months, starting at 12 mg and now at 6, going to 3 on my next juice purchase....yeah not popular but I do plan to go to 0 and eventually quit. I enjoy vaping and don't have a time table set in stone.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Andria I'm sorry to hear that. After reading all your posts you seem like a wonderful person and a nice lady. Thanks for the advice. I'll
Check out wholecig. I've been there before. Should I get 12mg? That's what nic I vape now

No, not at all, because you don't vape it straight! You add it to your current ejuice. I found a 10% addition very helpful, but I've heard of others using as much as 15%.

Unless, I suppose, you currently vape unflavored? I hadn't thought of that, but I know that some do -- then yes, you could do that, but it would be more expensive that way.

Also, be warned about wholecig -- although I have known them to ship on the same day as the order, they don't usually, they can sometimes take quite a while just to get the stuff out the door -- I think their TOS says up to 12 days or something equally ridiculous; the worst I've seen was taking 8 days just to ship it. But Aroma's unflavored 24mg WTA is too costly, and mothersmilkwta is too cloudy and smoky smelling, though less costly; I split the diff with ordering from wholecig, since theirs is clear and very pure, no smell (maybe somewhat like the smell of nicotine), and just try to order far enough ahead of running out so the delay doesn't cause me any problems.

Andria

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I plan on keepin on vapin. Like the flavors and just like vaping much better than smoking. I had given up quitting smoking years ago anyway and planned on not stopping but the wife unit got me an overpriced cigalike kit so I said what the heck and the next thing you know I was vaping at 300 watts on a 50MM driper. JK about the 300w 40mm stuff though.
I am a confirmed tootle cloud puffer.

Reactions: Thayamax

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
No, not at all, because you don't vape it straight! You add it to your current ejuice.
Well, maybe SOME people don't vape it straight. First couple of months, I always had a mini PT with straight 24 mg WTA in it in my daily rotation of 4-5 flavors. Then I started mixing it with other juices, usually an RY4 or Bobas. Nowadays I drip a couple of drops into the atty of a BF mod when I'm in the mood, usually just once a day. I've gone a week to 10 days without it at times, but feel something is missing when I do that...

Oh, and back to the OP question: It's been over 500 days since I quit smoking, but I do not plan to stop vaping or to reduce my nic level to zero.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
I used to smoke half a pack a day and now I'm quit. I'm vaping 12mg now. I used to do 24. Granted I do sub ohm now. My main question is do you ex smokers ever plan on cutting down to zero nic if you haven't already.

The long answer: I tried quitting cigarettes for about ten years before I started vaping. Zyban, Chantix, gum, patches, lozenges, and nicotine inhalers. I tried the cigalikes off and on for a few years as well. Nothing worked until I started vaping.

I began at 24 mg. I didn't have any plans to lower my nicotine, but I began introducing 18 mg liquids into my rotation, and now I'm at 9-12 mg (0-6 when I drip). I don't currently plan on completely eliminating nicotine, but if I can get comfortable at a lower level, I'd be happy with that, because it would make my nicotine stockpile last longer.

Do you ever plan on quitting altogether?

Again, I have no plans to quit. I honestly don't see it happening, because I enjoy vaping. In the thirty years that I smoked, from year 10 to 20 I did it because I had to, and from 20 to 30 I hated it. If I ever get to the point where I hate vaping, I may consider quitting. But to be honest, I don't see that happening.

Vaping for me has become a hobby

Same here!

and here's second part of my question. Do you consider vaping a successful quit of smoking?

Without question, and I'd feel the same way if I'd quit smoking using other messages. I don't burn processed tobacco paper and suck it into my lungs.

Many say not enough studies to say whether it's safe. But I think it's like saying if you smoke it's like souping up sports cars and street racing. Sure it's fun but super dangerous. Vaping is like souping up your car but instead going to car shows and drives. Much safer and a healthy hobby.

Interesting analogy. I don't think anything is safer than putting nothing but clean, filtered, properly humidified air into my lungs. I've read a lot of the studies on vaping, and I am convinced that the way I do it is several orders of magnitude safer than smoking.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
The only two ways I see quitting vaping is if government regs make it so expensive I can't afford it or forces the elimination of enjoyable flavors. The other will eventually win out and that will be when I stop breathing.

I will add that being able to accurately smell again can also be a curse. That dang feedlot on the way to my parents is absolute torture now when I thought I was used to it :shock:.

Any chance that is at exit 382 west of Lincoln? Especially "nice" on a hot summer day after a rain.

Belhade

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
New York (no, not the city)
Wait, we're supposed to quit vaping, too?? This is the stuff that's supposed to not ruin and kill you! Why would we stop?

In five years of vaping I've gone from 12-15 mg nic, to 0 nic, now 0-3 nic. The studies outlining health benefits of nicotine convinced me to introduce it back into my system. That, and getting used to it so I can test my friend's stuff without choking on his 24mg :laugh:

mojofilter

Mar 10, 2015
Florida, USA
As you can see on my banner, it is now 100 days as I write this since I had a cigarette. I stopped smoking them on the day my vaporizer arrived, after smoking for 42 years. About a month in, my throat would clamp up and refuse to admit any vapor into my lungs, so I stopped inhaling it. I had no adverse reaction to it - that's how I knew my addiction was broken.

When I bought my kit, I got 50 ml of 24 mg vanilla flavor. (I tried smaller bottles of other flavors, too.) I have been mixing that with a 6 mg bakery flavor and will continue to draw some vapor into my mouth long enough to taste it, then blow it out, until my liquid runs out. There is now just under half a bottle of vanilla left. I guess I'm good for about a month. Then I will give it up. My lungs deserve a break from inhaling anything but oxygen, for the rest of my life.

Will I go to 0 nic? No, to me, that tastes like stage fog with the remotest hint of an aftertaste.

Do I consider vaping a successful quit? I'm not sure I can parse the grammar (if any) of that sentence. Do I consider it to be a viable method of quitting? Yes. Was I successful in quitting using it? Yes.

Reactions: Mowgli

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
I used to smoke half a pack a day and now I'm quit. I'm vaping 12mg now. I used to do 24. Granted I do sub ohm now. My main question is do you ex smokers ever plan on cutting down to zero nic if you haven't already. Do you ever plan on quitting altogether? Vaping for me has become a hobby and here's second part of my question. Do you consider vaping a successful quit of smoking? Many say not enough studies to say whether it's safe. But I think it's like saying if you smoke it's like souping up sports cars and street racing. Sure it's fun but super dangerous. Vaping is like souping up your car but instead going to car shows and drives. Much safer and a healthy hobby.
I typically don't do things then worry about whether I am going to continue to do it.

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
Sure. While having some advantages, vaping shares two nasty things with smoking:

- a complete lack of interest of the industry on whether you can actually use / enjoy their product; all the efforts so far to fight various bans belong to enthusiasts; the industry doesn't seem to care about anything but what concerns them directly, such as manufacturing and sales regulations; even taxes seem to leave them unfazed.

- it's too visible a target and various busybodies will immediately assault you "a smoker! a smoker! to the gallows! to the gallows!" with little recourse possible from your part.

So I'm transitioning to BP's products - gum and quickmist. The guys in this industry take more care of their customers. At this point no one in his right mind would try to prevent someone from using BP products.

Reactions: cckayne

VapnWitch

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2013
VA, USA
I was a PAD/just over smoker when I tried vaping almost 2.5 years ago. I didn't even mean to quit smoking, it just happened naturally, and I have no desire to stop vaping or give up nicotine. I might lower my nic level a little, but it's not a high priority for me because I'm happy at 12mg, and I still use 18mg sometimes when I'm really stressed. And yes, I consider myself a non-smoker now. I have had a few cigarettes since I quit smoking, but that was during times of extreme stress and now that I have 18mg on hand, I don't think I'll be bumming a smoke from my husband again.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Meh, if I do quit, it'll be from losing interest in vaping. Eventually, you'd think a person would get bored of it. I vape for flavor, not clouds or nic fix.

Who knows.

There are more flavors and e-liquids out there that I can vape in the days I have left on this planet. I wouldn't call myself a "foodie", but I like to try new things and experiment with new recipes at home. I never get the same thing twice at a restaurant. I think the joy of experimenting with e-liquids and devices will keep me busy for quite some time.

Cigarettes had one flavor, and it took me twenty years to get around to try quitting, and another ten to actually accomplish it. Applying that same progression to vaping should take me well into my 80's, if I make it that long.

Sure. While having some advantages, vaping shares two nasty things with smoking:

- a complete lack of interest of the industry on whether you can actually use / enjoy their product; all the efforts so far to fight various bans belong to enthusiasts; the industry doesn't seem to care about anything but what concerns them directly, such as manufacturing and sales regulations; even taxes seem to leave them unfazed.

I only partially agree with that. There are a lot of responsible manufacturers and distributors, and SFATA, while industry oriented, is the vaping business brother-in-arms of CASAA.

- it's too visible a target and various busybodies will immediately assault you "a smoker! a smoker! to the gallows! to the gallows!" with little recourse possible from your part.

Historically, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of activities and groups that have been treated as outcasts (or worse) that are now part of the "mainstream". Snowboarding went from pariah to Olympic event over the span of about three decades. Not that I see vaping becoming an Olympic event, but scores of new vapers hit the streets every day.

So I'm transitioning to BP's products - gum and quickmist. The guys in this industry take more care of their customers. At this point no one in his right mind would try to prevent someone from using BP products.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but it's your right.

C3RB3RU5

Mar 10, 2015
Wisconsin
The only two ways I see quitting vaping is if government regs make it so expensive I can't afford it or forces the elimination of enjoyable flavors.
I agree with this, except I'd add one more and that would be if by some small chance definitive proof comes out that vaping was somehow worse than smoking. In which case I would quit everything. If it came out that vaping was say 50% as bad as smoking I'd still vape for as long as I can breathe.

After smoking from age 15 to 27 i've realized for me it's not so much the nic dependency as it is the act of inhaling. I started at 24mg about 5 months ago and have worked down to 6mg which I enjoy even better. It seemed the higher the nic level the harsher the throat hit. I plan to get to 0mg - 3mg at most soon.

So no I don't ever plan on quitting vaping. I do plan on getting to 0mg at least occasionally. And yes vaping is a successful quit of smoking, its helped many many people off cigs. The "chemicals" in juice are far safer IMO then the thousands of them put in cigs that seems were put there intentionally to kill its customers: Ammonia, Arsenic, Cyanide.

Reactions: schatz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread