Harsh vapor/throat hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

TotemHarpy

Jun 7, 2015
Mississippi, US
I did for almost a full week (even after learning how to pull properly). I coughed too, a LOT when I quit. My husband on the other hand didn't have the first throat or coughing issue from day one. A cousin of mine quit and his throat hurt like hell for a month. I'd give it a little bit of time and see if it eases up, if it doesn't maybe try backing up the pg/nic levels. I've switched mine to a higher vg and it seemed to help even when my throat was still sore.

Reactions: Lessifer

Bwar503

Jun 13, 2015
I don't remember it being overly harsh, but it was over two years ago when i started, and the equipment was very different back then. My wife, who still smokes, thinks my sub ohm drippers with max vg are harsh, but I think they're very smooth. So yeah, it might just be that you're not used to it.

Good to know Im not the only one who thinks this vapor stuff is harsher than an analogue! Maybe I just need to get used to it. Only been vaping for a little over 2 weeks.. Thanks =)

Bwar503

Jun 13, 2015
I did for almost a full week (even after learning how to pull properly). I coughed too, a LOT when I quit. My husband on the other hand didn't have the first throat or coughing issue from day one. A cousin of mine quit and his throat hurt like hell for a month. I'd give it a little bit of time and see if it eases up, if it doesn't maybe try backing up the pg/nic levels. I've switched mine to a higher vg and it seemed to help even when my throat was still sore.

I should give myself more time to get used to vaping.. Just want to transition as smooth as possible. Thanks

Reactions: TotemHarpy

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I should give myself more time to get used to vaping.. Just want to transition as smooth as possible. Thanks
It is tough, some people(me included) take to it right away, others struggle. I think you'll be happier if you stick with it, but there's so much going on when you're quitting smoking and trying something new, it's hard to tell what's what. Do you know anyone else that vapes? Anyone that can check to make sure you're gear is working as it should be?

It's a little hard to troubleshoot over the web, but we'll be here for you :)

Bwar503

Jun 13, 2015
It is tough, some people(me included) take to it right away, others struggle. I think you'll be happier if you stick with it, but there's so much going on when you're quitting smoking and trying something new, it's hard to tell what's what. Do you know anyone else that vapes? Anyone that can check to make sure you're gear is working as it should be?

It's a little hard to troubleshoot over the web, but we'll be here for you :)

I dont know any vapers =(

I might have to stop by a vape shop and see what they think..

Bwar503

Jun 13, 2015
Unless you cleaned the tank and replaced the coilhead you probably are still vaping off the higher nic juice even with the lower blend in the tank...To get acclimated to the subohming, I suggest 3mg nic to start, then you can go up to 6 or 9mg once you got the hang of things

Brand new tank and coil. On my next batch Ill attempt a 3mg and 6mg to test.

speedy_r6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2015
Illinois, US
A lot of it can depend on the juice components, too. When I started, I got some DuraSmoke juices, and it felt like razors hitting my throat. I ended up trying some Mt Baker Vapor juices with the same nic level and had almost no harshness on my throat. If you are DIY-ing, you may have just got a component from somewhere that doesn't agree with your throat. I don't know what was in the DuraSmoke liquid, but my throat sure didnt like it.

Reactions: TotemHarpy

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Thanks for the reply. I started with a VV battery @4.2v with a 1.8ohm atomizer from Vaporfi, kinda sucks/over priced.. Used with 24mg and 18mg 70pg/30vg

Changed to a Aspire Sub Ohm battery running at 4.2V, with the Atlantis tank, and the 0.3ohm atomizers. Used with 12mg 70vg/30pg.

Also I feel like I'm chain vaping.. So I assume my ejuice nic levels are too low for my tolerance, but Im no expert obviously..

with the little vv battery system, 24 and 12 mg would have been ok; that would be around a 5 watt vape.

But with the sub ohm battery, you're running at about 10 times more the wattage, and need 10 times less milligram strength nicotine.

Bwar503

Jun 13, 2015
with the little vv battery system, 24 and 12 mg would have been ok; that would be around a 5 watt vape.

But with the sub ohm battery, you're running at about 10 times more the wattage, and need 10 times less milligram strength nicotine.

I see your logic. I am at 9.8 watts on my VV@4.2 with 1.8ohm atomizer and 58.8 watts on my 4.2V with 0.3 ohm atomizer.

Bwar503

Jun 13, 2015
A lot of it can depend on the juice components, too. When I started, I got some DuraSmoke juices, and it felt like razors hitting my throat. I ended up trying some Mt Baker Vapor juices with the same nic level and had almost no harshness on my throat. If you are DIY-ing, you may have just got a component from somewhere that doesn't agree with your throat. I don't know what was in the DuraSmoke liquid, but my throat sure didnt like it.

Interesting, I was nervous about buying juice supplies online. Anyone know reputable online sources for DIY ejuice supplies? I purchased through RTSVapes, first time buyer though so I have no level of comparison.

Maybe Im a little off topic.. sry

grottovapor

Unresolved Status
May 7, 2015
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

Bwar503

Jun 13, 2015
It's always usefull to keep a bottle of vg+10% water as a sort of primer fluid; when you want to flush out your coil to get rid of a flavour, you put some of that in there and vape it off

Logic dictates that I can only saturate the cotton so much.. Seeing as how its fully saturated from the old juice adding more doesn't remove the existing juice. The tank would have to be filled with this vg+10% water and vaped on to vaporize old juice OR the atomizer is cleaned with water or alcohol before adding new juice..

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Oh I see.. You meant fill my tank with the vg+10.. Lol misunderstood

If that's what it takes.
The important thing is it's usefull to keep a bottle with just vg+water for stuff like that instead of using your expensive juice.
If you vape on it awhile till the old taste is gone, and the tank is full of vg+water, you can dump that because it's just cheap vg+water, then add you real juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread