Is vaping more addictive than smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John1952

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2012
United States
I'm only a week into vaping, but I'm starting to think this habit might be more addictive than smoking.

I realize that the physical addiction is nicotine. But, when you get right down to it, smoking cigs is not really very enjoyable, and it's often accompanied by things like guilt, shame, lung cancer, cold weather, stinkiness, bad breath, etc.

So now I have a nicotine delivery system that has virtually no negative aspects to it. And it's a hell of a lot more enjoyable. So I do it whenever I feel like it (which is kind of often, I think).

If I ever decide to give it up, will I find that quitting vaping is more difficult than giving up smoking?

Ladypixel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
La Verne, CA
I honestly can't answer your question, as it involves a number of things -- for instance, how often you vape, whether it's a reflex action or an action with deliberate intent behind it, whether it's become a psychological substitute for the rote motions of cigarettes, etcetera. There's a lot of factors involved.

Yes, I think vaping can be addictive. Is it more addictive than cigarettes? That's a mighty good question, and one which really needs to be an individualized answer, because each situation is different. That said, if you actually decide to quit vaping at some point in the future, you will quit. It's really as simple as that. When you're ready to give it up, away it goes, the same way that everyone who's quit smoking reached a point at which they did, in fact, quit.

John1952

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2012
United States
Right, tapering off the nic is something that I'll probably do. Or maybe not.

But at this point, I can't see any downsides to vaping -- except for the absurdity of spending a fair amount of money just to have flavorful vapor come out of my lungs and mouth. If I enjoy it, so what? But if (for whatever reason) I want to stop, I think it will be difficult because (unlike smoking) there is no great alternative.

Actually, I probably don't even know what I'm talking about. Give me a few more months to see how this works out. Then I'll be able to talk about it.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
I've been vaping for almost 2 years now, and I still chain vape when I'm just sitting around surfing the net or watching movies or something. I think it may well be more addicting and I should really try to cut down my nic level. OTOH, I can easily go an hour or more without vaping if I need to, and that's something I had GREAT difficulty doing when I smoked. So, I dunno.... That's a good question.

I do know that nicotine is not the only addictive substance in analogs. There are a lot of other alkoloids present that contribute to the addictive nature of cigarettes. That's one reason some people have a hard time putting down analogs even after they've been vaping awhile. At least I know what I'm addicted to.

DaBatMan

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Wayne Manor
gc.jpg

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
I think I'm as addicted to the novelty of it and all the gadgets and modding and DIY as the action of vaping and the nicotine. When I smoked stinkies I had dirty ashtrays, a smell car and clothes and a cough. Now, I have a cluttered nightstand. My computer desk resembles a professional bomb-builders workshop. I have a Mr Wizard science kit for DIY. I can tell you what the flavor and nic content is in each of the eleventy-six thousand bottles scattered around, although I couldn't tell you when the last time was when I used more than half of them. I know Ohm's law, the formula for calculating watts and what the resistance/ft is of 32ga nichrome wire. Oh, jeez. I may need intervention lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread