mech mod or regulated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
It will all need to pass the FDA's new regulations through the form, as it stands now. Doesn't matter what kind it is.

A fully mechanical mod has fewer parts to fail. However, it is hard to find a quality device at a reasonable price. If you are a new vaper, regulated devices are safer. People are working hard to fight these regulations. In addition, even if they go through as they are, it probably wouldn't be hard to have someone make you a regulated mod down the road. They are just tubes or boxes with battery sleds and a switch.

I use both. I have more regulated mods and intend to get a couple to keep in boxes for now, but I have a full mech that would survive most anything and ideally will have one more.

It doesn't matter what I'm using, though. We have time. If you are new, do not go with a mechanical mod. Get either a good VV/VW device or else a good starter kit at a fixed voltage. There's really no need to go unregulated if you're super new, and it will be harder to zero in on your preferred vape besides.

tonydipper

Jun 2, 2016
It will all need to pass the FDA's new regulations through the form, as it stands now. Doesn't matter what kind it is.

A fully mechanical mod has fewer parts to fail. However, it is hard to find a quality device at a reasonable price. If you are a new vaper, regulated devices are safer. People are working hard to fight these regulations. In addition, even if they go through as they are, it probably wouldn't be hard to have someone make you a regulated mod down the road. They are just tubes or boxes with battery sleds and a switch.

I use both. I have more regulated mods and intend to get a couple to keep in boxes for now, but I have a full mech that would survive most anything and ideally will have one more.

It doesn't matter what I'm using, though. We have time. If you are new, do not go with a mechanical mod. Get either a good VV/VW device or else a good starter kit at a fixed voltage. There's really no need to go unregulated if you're super new, and it will be harder to zero in on your preferred vape besides.
got cha dude. cross fingers for the regulations. we want vaping not smoking

Hey, good question.

I have 4 regulated box mods and 2 mech box mods. I have in mind to buy at least 5+ more regulated box mods and 3+ more mech box mods.

I'm going to spend as I have, btw $350 and $550 every month until I think that I have enough supplies for the next 10+ years.

Reactions: daviedog

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
I use regulated

VapeProVari.jpg

Reactions: alffalvo

williamclarkonet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2014
Iowa United States
will mech mod survive since FDA deeming regulation out. which are you using right now
I use both regulate and mech mods I prefer mech mods there is something beautiful about them they will definitely outlast regulated mods I'm currently using the SMPL mod with the Theorem RTA and the FUhatten with the goblin mini V2 I don't think any vaping related product will survive

tonydipper

Jun 2, 2016
Hey, good question.

I have 4 regulated box mods and 2 mech box mods. I have in mind to buy at least 5+ more regulated box mods and 3+ more mech box mods.

I'm going to spend as I have, btw $350 and $550 every month until I think that I have enough supplies for the next 10+ years.
good bro. i guess it's cheaper than smoking

Reactions: Glinda

tonydipper

Jun 2, 2016
I use both regulate and mech mods I prefer mech mods there is something beautiful about them they will definitely outlast regulated mods I'm currently using the SMPL mod with the Theorem RTA and the FUhatten with the goblin mini V2 I don't think any vaping related product will survive
these are good mods now it's time to gather something else

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Basically, I think anyone concerned with stockpiling should have at least one FULLY mechanical mod-- providing they are willing to do the research required to keep themselves safe-- as full mechs will outlast any regulated device. However, there's no reason you can't make a few regulated devices last a while if some are kept in boxes, and there's no particular reason for anyone to go mech-only now unless they really want to. There's no question that VV/VW devices are safer for new vapers and that will always be the case. Unregulated with mosfet protection is definitely a good deal safer but still not the best recommendation for a new vaper, in my less-than-completely-humble opinion.

So yeah, new vapers I will continue to point towards regulated VV/VW for now. Everyone else, or really anyone thinking of stockpiling, I'd say be sure to have one full mech that can survive anything and ideally a couple of regulated new in box.

Reactions: Baditude

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Prior to the released Deeming Regulations by the FDA, I always recommended new vapers to go regulated over a mechanical mod. Simply safer to use by a beginner.

However, there is no guarantee that any regulated mod manufacturer will get approved by the FDA. Since I've heard it could cost upwards of $1,000,000 for each mod to get approved, I have a hunch that most manufacturers will go out of business.

Stockpiling regulated mods is an option, but since they are relatively fragile and probably can't be repaired, how many will be enough? A better option is to have at least one mechanical mod in your collection before 2018.

No electrical parts to fail. Much more durable than most regulated mods. A good regulated mod might last years; a good mech should last decades.

A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod

Myself, I have two dependable mechanical mods. I also have four regulated mods. I've learned to build my own coils and have two rebuildable drip atomizers. I have some 24mg nicotine base stored in my freezer. Batteries, wire, cotton, propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, and flavoring agents will always be available because they are used by other industries.

Last edited:

Forkeh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
California
Well, I think any experienced user who has the knowledge and willingness to use a mech mod safely, would do well to stock one with a few replacement parts, before the worst of the regulations go into effect. Worst case scenario? It may sit unused for a long period of time, but it's a good piece of mind to have. I'll be picking one up before August. It's just they they're very hard to break, and "fixing" them is usually as simple as swapping out the firing pin or a spring.

But for those of you who aren't particularly experienced, don't have the knowledge, and aren't inclined to learn and be very diligent with safety. I think you'd be better served by picking up a couple of extra regulated devices with a good reputation. And make sure you have something with replaceable batteries. They don't last forever.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
No mod will survive FDA regs. A mech will outlast a regulated mod with reasonable maintanence..

Not if you get a serous short and it goes BOOM, something that the reg. is built to prevent.

So I say it fairly equal in terms of durability if taken care of, but the reg. will always be the safer (virtually fool-proof) choice.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
On my side, I prefer the Temp. control so regulated mods it is for me.

I don't plan to go to crazy (and already have a couple of mods) as these' new ones coming out regularly, and might see something that might be better than what I already have but kinda doubt it at this point as we've hit a fairly stable phase of development in mod technology. Most new mods are mostly just about appearance and tweeks, a little more refined circuitry, but the extent of something that might be off by a 0.002 difference in the readings doesn't worry me much.

I rebuild my coil cartridges, have RTAs and am doing DIY for liquids, with a good stock now for just about everything, and will be getting more soon enough to ensure that I don't have to worry for a long time.

Reactions: Glinda

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
Not if you get a serous short and it goes BOOM, something that the reg. is built to prevent.

So I say it fairly equal in terms of durability if taken care of, but the reg. will always be the safer (virtually fool-proof) choice.
Won't short with reasonable maintenance. Foolproof is your cup of tea. Eh?..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread