mech mod or regulated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Won't short with reasonable maintenance. Foolproof is your cup of tea. Eh?..

More that I'd rather not have to worry of having a battery vent and blow on me over a small detail missed, etc. I've seen even experienced mech mods users that at some point went "opps". It only takes ONCE to have a life changing experience... ask anyone that parachutes or does bungee jumps as a hobby.

And as I said in my other post, I'd much rather go with Temp control.

So yeah, not my cup of tea... I just find that there's too many features and options with a reg. that you can't get with a mech. I just don't have the time to worry about ensuring that I get everything perfectly right. If you've seen the latest reg. mod, they're just amazing, compared to those from even just a year ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glinda

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
A couple? Quite a few people have dozens of them.

At least a couple. Not everyone can afford dozens, even the less expensive ones.

@Baditude you're absolute right, of course. In light of deeming regs if I could only pick one, I would go mechanical for the longevity. Still, for those that can afford more than one device, there's really no reason a regulated mod-- especially one without an internal battery that can die and leave it basically useless -- can't last a good long while with proper care. I mean, I'm more of a regulated person myself so I've had more than my fair share of failures. There's really no argument to be made that (most) mechs won't outlast (most) regulated devices which have way more parts to fail.

BUT. I take good care of my devices and have lots of older regulated mods that still work just dandy, even the ones that were never the best devices.

I don't have a ton of money to devote to ecigs, but because I've managed to hang on to so many of my past devices, I can rotate through them quite a bit. I am sure this is no small part of making my regulated devices last as long as they have. I'm only pointing this out to say that for the few among us who really have absolutely no interest in a mech, it's possible to make your regulated devices last a while. It's much easier if you have enough of them to rotate regularly.

Anyway, I'm really not arguing any of your points. I completely concur. I just still worry with new vapers and mechs, at least those who want to push the limits. If I could make sure that every new vaper with a mech and an RBA stayed at or above one ohm builds to start, I would. At least until they were not comfortable. Of course I can't ensure that and for a lot of people, the temptation is high. Because of this, for at least the next little while I have a hard time recommending ONLY a mech to a new user who can afford to have both. Plus, many particularly nice mechs are very expensive, though I know it's not impossible to find a quite good one for a decent price, especially if you are open to clones.

I just always err on the side of caution. I usually won't even put an RDA on my mech until I've got it working nicely on a regulated device.

But again, if I could truly only pick one with the deeming regs, no question it would be a [parallel] mech for me.

Last edited:

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
However, there is no guarantee that any regulated mod manufacturer will get approved by the FDA. Since I've heard it could cost upwards of $1,000,000 for each mod to get approved, I have a hunch that most manufacturers will go out of business.

Ahhh, but there's a loophole you haven't considered.

Computer chips are not regulated by the FDA. MODS are, but a computer chip isn't. Therefore a company like Evolv can continue to sell their chips. So all you have to do is buy a DNA mod kit and replacement chips. When one fails simply solder in a new one and you're good to go.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
I think that one detail is being overlooked, and that while the "old school" vapers that enjoy their mech mods, the reality is that newcomers would not go for such, most would go with and need a reg. mod., as to switch from analogs.

I'm talking about the average person here... the moms and dads, etc. that would go for kits with no hands on required.. pop a new coil cartridge in, fill up and go with it, not the hobbyists.

For them, the reg. mods (kits) would have to be the priority.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glinda

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida

Computer chips are not regulated by the FDA. MODS are, but a computer chip isn't. Therefore a company like Evolv can continue to sell their chips. So all you have to do is buy a DNA mod kit and replacement chips. When one fails simply solder in a new one and you're good to go.
Lets hope so..

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle

The DNA chips are for Vaping, thus the FDA put in the regs anything used for Vaping is considered Tobacco and under their Authority to regulate.

Sent from my Android Tablet w/Tapatalk

Reactions: gin828

tonydipper

Jun 2, 2016
Basically, I think anyone concerned with stockpiling should have at least one FULLY mechanical mod-- providing they are willing to do the research required to keep themselves safe-- as full mechs will outlast any regulated device. However, there's no reason you can't make a few regulated devices last a while if some are kept in boxes, and there's no particular reason for anyone to go mech-only now unless they really want to. There's no question that VV/VW devices are safer for new vapers and that will always be the case. Unregulated with mosfet protection is definitely a good deal safer but still not the best recommendation for a new vaper, in my less-than-completely-humble opinion.

So yeah, new vapers I will continue to point towards regulated VV/VW for now. Everyone else, or really anyone thinking of stockpiling, I'd say be sure to have one full mech that can survive anything and ideally a couple of regulated new in box.
agreed, mech mod is easy to use as long as you dont mess all things up stay safe for newbies.

Reactions: ddirtyvapes

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
The DNA chips are for Vaping, thus the FDA put in the regs anything used for Vaping is considered Tobacco and under their Authority to regulate.

Sent from my Android Tablet w/Tapatalk

Umm, no.

DNA chips are no more regulated than a 510 connector or battery sled. Chips do not need FDA approval because by themselves chips can do nothing. It's an electronics component, not a device.

By itself the chip is a voltage regulator that works off resistance changes. You may be familiar with these, you have them in your PC to control fan speed based on the temperature of the processor. The processor monitors resistance changes in the Digital Thermal Sensor, and then adjusts the fan speed based on that temperature. Evolv didn't invent brand new technology that no one had ever seen before, they simply tailored it for use in regulated mods for vaping. All they really did was make it so the coil is the Digital Thermal Sensor.

It's essentially one of these:

s-l1000.jpg

With the coil being the temperature probe.

At the absolute worst they would have to sell it as a Voltage Regulator with DTS interface.

Zipslack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2013
Wesson, MS, USA
Learn some basic soldering skills, buy boards, like mentioned, get access to a 3D printer, and you can rebuild broken-down mods or even build from scratch.

I've noticed recently that FT seems to be listing a lot of "DIY" parts which are just parts of tanks or mods that you could buy to make an assembled unit. Maybe they've figured out a loophole?

FWIW, I have a few regulated and one mech (so far). I expect the mech to last outlast everything else I've got. With a simple RDA, it's my emergency backup.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I don't feel safe with mech's but I did just buy one for the vaping dark ages, I also bought stop shorts and kick's to use with the mech. But I have to agree for dark ages we all need a mech or two in our stash, I just feel safer using the safety devices with them. I prefer regulated mods and have quite a few in my stash also.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Umm, no.

DNA chips are no more regulated than a 510 connector or battery sled. Chips do not need FDA approval because by themselves chips can do nothing. It's an electronics component, not a device.

By itself the chip is a voltage regulator that works off resistance changes. You may be familiar with these, you have them in your PC to control fan speed based on the temperature of the processor. The processor monitors resistance changes in the Digital Thermal Sensor, and then adjusts the fan speed based on that temperature. Evolv didn't invent brand new technology that no one had ever seen before, they simply tailored it for use in regulated mods for vaping. All they really did was make it so the coil is the Digital Thermal Sensor.

It's essentially one of these:

s-l1000.jpg

With the coil being the temperature probe.

At the absolute worst they would have to sell it as a Voltage Regulator with DTS interface.
Perfect for a square mod :)

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I use regulated but a mech, and the knowledge of how to use a mech, is a useful method of vaping that can hold up well over a long period. Even if a mech "breaks" (switch dies is about it, or the 510 connector gets messed up) it can usually be fixed with far less effort than a regulated. If you're mechanically inclined, you can even build your own in the future as long as you still have tanks to put on them.

I have several reasonably priced regulated mods right now. Everything I buy uses replaceable batteries so an internal, nonreplaceable battery won't end the life of the unit. I also just invested in one high end mod with a DNA 200 chip (no, I didn't need it, but the vapocalypse was a great way to rationalize it) which will hopefully remain in good working order for quite some time.

My wife has been using her Provari 2.5 everyday since it was first released (3+ yrs??).
She has beat that thing to death, done zero maintenance to it and it keeps on ticking.
We still have 2 provari 2.5's that still work flawlessly to this day.
Mother always said "You get what you pay for."

Since I started back vaping, I have upgraded us to the 200 watt reg. mods and we have enjoyed the sub ohm market. Now not knowing how long these devices will last leaves me thinking of going back to a proven product.
I am also getting back into the rebuildables and I think I can make the lower wattage work for us.

Reactions: Baditude

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
@skelley I think the P2.5 is even older, actually. I could be wrong though as I had a v2 that I then got upgraded. Mine is still working and it's from 2010. I agree that is the one regulated device that might hold up as well as any mech, and Provape stands behind it. too bad it doesn't put out a bit more power for those of us who have gotten so used to subohming now, but I still find use for it.

And you're right, there's no reason you can't make lower wattages on either a VW or mech work as well as the crazy subohming. I jump around a lot myself.

I'll just use every device I have until it won't work or is no longer safe, and when everything else is dead I'll still have my mechs and likely my Provari.

Reactions: skelley
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread