retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
I am also getting back into the rebuildables and I think I can make the lower wattage work for us.

No reason why you can't. I primarily use gennies and mechs with a build between 1.2 and 1.5. Even on the regulated mod, it works just fine at 8W.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Certain atomizers work better at lower wattages than others, I've found. At least depending on what you're looking for. I rarely ever use my Twisted Messes below around 50W, and it's really not necessarily meant for it. (You could obviously use it at a lower wattage, I just personally feel it's one that works better when you crank it up.) I have a few other RDAs-- Tugboat V2 clone, Mako Shorty, maybe the Double Vision in single coil-- and a number of tanks that I simply feel work way better at lower power, build/coil dependent of course. It's just a matter of taking the time to figure out what heating elements really shine at lower wattages and, if applicable, the best builds for the job.

Reactions: skelley

tonydipper

Jun 2, 2016
Certain atomizers work better at lower wattages than others, I've found. At least depending on what you're looking for. I rarely ever use my Twisted Messes below around 50W, and it's really not necessarily meant for it. (You could obviously use it at a lower wattage, I just personally feel it's one that works better when you crank it up.) I have a few other RDAs-- Tugboat V2 clone, Mako Shorty, maybe the Double Vision in single coil-- and a number of tanks that I simply feel work way better at lower power, build/coil dependent of course. It's just a matter of taking the time to figure out what heating elements really shine at lower wattages and, if applicable, the best builds for the job.
that's right, that reminded me of the genesis steel mesh, kinda miss

tonydipper

Jun 2, 2016
@skelley I think the P2.5 is even older, actually. I could be wrong though as I had a v2 that I then got upgraded. Mine is still working and it's from 2010. I agree that is the one regulated device that might hold up as well as any mech, and Provape stands behind it. too bad it doesn't put out a bit more power for those of us who have gotten so used to subohming now, but I still find use for it.

And you're right, there's no reason you can't make lower wattages on either a VW or mech work as well as the crazy subohming. I jump around a lot myself.

I'll just use every device I have until it won't work or is no longer safe, and when everything else is dead I'll still have my mechs and likely my Provari.
it's well-preserved

tonydipper

Jun 2, 2016
My wife has been using her Provari 2.5 everyday since it was first released (3+ yrs??).
She has beat that thing to death, done zero maintenance to it and it keeps on ticking.
We still have 2 provari 2.5's that still work flawlessly to this day.
Mother always said "You get what you pay for."

Since I started back vaping, I have upgraded us to the 200 watt reg. mods and we have enjoyed the sub ohm market. Now not knowing how long these devices will last leaves me thinking of going back to a proven product.
I am also getting back into the rebuildables and I think I can make the lower wattage work for us.
now she's a genius and lucky to see this .a lot better than spending money on some other stuffs like shopping

tonydipper

Jun 2, 2016
I use regulated but a mech, and the knowledge of how to use a mech, is a useful method of vaping that can hold up well over a long period. Even if a mech "breaks" (switch dies is about it, or the 510 connector gets messed up) it can usually be fixed with far less effort than a regulated. If you're mechanically inclined, you can even build your own in the future as long as you still have tanks to put on them.

I have several reasonably priced regulated mods right now. Everything I buy uses replaceable batteries so an internal, nonreplaceable battery won't end the life of the unit. I also just invested in one high end mod with a DNA 200 chip (no, I didn't need it, but the vapocalypse was a great way to rationalize it) which will hopefully remain in good working order for quite some time.
yeah you have to buy some extra parts especially the firing button or once it's gone it's done

Reactions: Eskie

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas

Jessie-Aries

Multiple ID Suspension
May 26, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Multiple ID Company

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Hi, i'm new to vaping. I wonder what does Hydrid Mod mean? Does it mix mech mod and regulated mod? Anyone can explain it to me? Thanks in advance.

A true hybrid combines the mech mod and atomizer into one unit.

For example:

There are the iHybrids

puregreen2.jpg

Zen Hybrids

zenesis-mod-zen-gold-hybrid.jpg

And there are others.

These are not to be confused with the mods that claim to be hybrids, but aren't. The SIMPL mod is a prime example of this. It is not a hybrid mod.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Not if you get a serous short and it goes BOOM, something that the reg. is built to prevent.

So I say it fairly equal in terms of durability if taken care of, but the reg. will always be the safer (virtually fool-proof) choice.

Everyone has their own favorite for their own reasons.

I use mechanicals the most. The one I use most is 6+ years old .... and no BOOMS ;)
    Yes most regulated mods are built to prevent this, YOU build to prevent it with a mechanical.
    So when you do your part, a mechanical is every bit as safe as a regulated mod.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2016
    Ottawa area, Canada
    Everyone has their own favorite for their own reasons.

I use mechanicals the most. The one I use most is 6+ years old .... and no BOOMS ;)
    Yes most regulated mods are built to prevent this, YOU build to prevent it with a mechanical.
    So when you do your part, a mechanical is every bit as safe as a regulated mod.

No disrespect here, but you aren't exactly telling something that I and most on this site don't know already, that mech users truly believe in this. And no, it just isn't, not to argue, but just facts... with a mech, one flaw, a little short that you can't see, something stuck to the battery, fell in while you didn't see it, a faulty battery, the mech will not do anything to prevent a bad incident, there is no ifs or buts about it... it's all about the battery and anything could go wrong even if everything is done right, it's simply the probability factor. You can argue that you've done it for years, heck, many others have, and then one day, the thing explodes in your face even though ... crap happens, but to believe that a mech is "as safe" as a reg. I'm sorry but that is 100% wrong and false.

That's like saying that because I've driven for 30 years, do my inspection, get the oil changed, the tires replaced, the brakes maintained, etc. that there's no way that I might not hit a rock, nail or something that might blow my tire up and cause me to crash. Could happen today, could happen tomorrow, could happen in 20 years from now. Having a reg is like installing an instead re-sealer device on the tires, so that if it does blow, it instantly re-inflate a backup tube in the tire, tells you to slow down and what just happened.

The thing is that mech mods users don't get or forget is that the point for many vapers is not to be a hobbyist, it's to quit smoking or such, and 99% of these people aren't looking to be cool, enter cloud contests and play with wires and do math, they simply want something like their cell phones, their toasters. Plug in, switch a coil cartridge and fill with liquid, nothing more.

Noting that most of the incidents with the "booms" are usually kids and such that don't have a respect for the potential risk involved with handling a fairly powerful battery, they grew up with AA and AAA and think that the 18650s (or such) are the same, just larger.

I would never tell a newbie to go with a mech, and if they decide to eventually go for it, to read up on it, to go to stores with knowledgeable staff that can assist them.

There is nothing I hate seeing more than a kid walk in a store and go"I wanna puff some [edited] big clouds like my friends, give me something bad-... and it gotta be a mech because..."bad-..."!!"

Seriously, there's not a single thing that a mech can do that a reg can't, but the reg can do dozens of things more.

I understand that you have the illusion of safety because you are doing it "right". But even doing it right still has a risk factor, (even if extremely small) and that's simply fact.

retired1

Administrator
    Admin
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    The vast majority of e-cigarette incidents can be boiled down to user error (improper builds, wrong charger, etc.), not a faulty device or battery. And quite a few of those incidents were with eGo style batteries, not mechs.

If one pays attention to what they're doing on a mech, the chance of something going wrong is negligible.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Ahhh, but there's a loophole you haven't considered.

Computer chips are not regulated by the FDA. MODS are, but a computer chip isn't. Therefore a company like Evolv can continue to sell their chips. So all you have to do is buy a DNA mod kit and replacement chips. When one fails simply solder in a new one and you're good to go.
    Only a small fraction of our community is going to be willing to DIY a regulated mod kit. I don't own a soldering gun and I wouldn't think of attempting putting a mod together from a kit.

The vast majority of vapers don't even want to go any further than replacing a factory made coil in clearomizer, let alone begin building their own RBA coils or their own mod.

daviedog

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 2, 2013
    Florida
    No disrespect here, but you aren't exactly telling something that I and most on this site don't know already, that mech users truly believe in this. And no, it just isn't, not to argue, but just facts... with a mech, one flaw, a little short that you can't see, something stuck to the battery, fell in while you didn't see it, a faulty battery, the mech will not do anything to prevent a bad incident, there is no ifs or buts about it... it's all about the battery and anything could go wrong even if everything is done right, it's simply the probability factor. You can argue that you've done it for years, heck, many others have, and then one day, the thing explodes in your face even though ... crap happens, but to believe that a mech is "as safe" as a reg. I'm sorry but that is 100% wrong and false.

That's like saying that because I've driven for 30 years, do my inspection, get the oil changed, the tires replaced, the brakes maintained, etc. that there's no way that I might not hit a rock, nail or something that might blow my tire up and cause me to crash. Could happen today, could happen tomorrow, could happen in 20 years from now. Having a reg is like installing an instead re-sealer device on the tires, so that if it does blow, it instantly re-inflate a backup tube in the tire, tells you to slow down and what just happened.

The thing is that mech mods users don't get or forget is that the point for many vapers is not to be a hobbyist, it's to quit smoking or such, and 99% of these people aren't looking to be cool, enter cloud contests and play with wires and do math, they simply want something like their cell phones, their toasters. Plug in, switch a coil cartridge and fill with liquid, nothing more.

Noting that most of the incidents with the "booms" are usually kids and such that don't have a respect for the potential risk involved with handling a fairly powerful battery, they grew up with AA and AAA and think that the 18650s (or such) are the same, just larger.

I would never tell a newbie to go with a mech, and if they decide to eventually go for it, to read up on it, to go to stores with knowledgeable staff that can assist them.

There is nothing I hate seeing more than a kid walk in a store and go"I wanna puff some [edited] big clouds like my friends, give me something bad-... and it gotta be a mech because..."bad-..."!!"

Seriously, there's not a single thing that a mech can do that a reg can't, but the reg can do dozens of things more.

I understand that you have the illusion of safety because you are doing it "right". But even doing it right still has a risk factor, (even if extremely small) and that's simply fact.
    One long Dejavou..

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Hi, i'm new to vaping. I wonder what does Hydrid Mod mean? Does it mix mech mod and regulated mod? Anyone can explain it to me? Thanks in advance.
    Retired explained what a true hybrid mod is. It uses a proprietary juice attachment specifically for the mod.

image-jpg.542994

True hybrid mechanical mod

Faux hybrid, direct-battery, and/or hybrid top cap mechanical mods have no 510 center pin. In these specialty devices, the atomizer's center pin connects directly to the top of the battery. Unless the atomizer's center pin is extended beyond the 510 connector, then a hard short can occur and cause the battery to go into thermal runaway.

RoylegH.jpg

SMPL mechanical mod is a direct battery or faux hybrid mod. Note in the upper right pic that there is no center pin in the 510 connector. Looking into the 510 connector, you see the top of the battery.

20160129_151013-1-jpg.529201

Some mechanical mods offer two top caps, a normal 510 top (left) and a "hybrid" top (right).

510-connection-pin-550x329.jpg

Direct battery/faux hybrid mods require an extended center pin in the atomizer attachment, as shown in the first two pics above. No extended center pin (as in the 3rd pic) can cause a dangerous hard short to the battery.

A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod
    • Covers the differences between a mechanical vs. regulated mod, essential safety accessories, optional safety accessories to add layers of safety to your mech, routine maintanance, use of proper batteries, proper ventilation, low resistance vaping, and faux hybrid mods.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2016
    Ottawa area, Canada
    The vast majority of e-cigarette incidents can be boiled down to user error (improper builds, wrong charger, etc.), not a faulty device or battery. And quite a few of those incidents were with eGo style batteries, not mechs.

If one pays attention to what they're doing on a mech, the chance of something going wrong is negligible.

And as I said, and so have others... this is something that we all agree on, but the fact remains, that mechs are for hobbyist, NOT the average person looking to have something simple that they can change a pre-made coil, fill the tank with liquid and go.

Reactions: Eskie

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    And as I said, and so have others... this is something that we all agree on, but the fact remains, that mechs are for hobbyist, NOT the average person looking to have something simple that they can change a pre-made coil, fill the tank with liquid and go.

Unfortunately you're right. It's also unfortunate that they will become the ones that will only have the offerings of big tobacco in the future.

My suggestion is and always has been **Learn how to become self reliant**. Doesn't matter how you do it .... just as long as you are not relying on getting products that may no longer be available.

Reactions: tckenno

PapawBrett

Retired
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 16, 2012
    Monroe NC
    I have several Reos Mods. Both Mech and Regulated (yes, Reos used to make VV Mods).
    I also have two ProVaris collecting dust.
    It's not a matter of which one is better, it is a matter of which one you prefer. I like my Reos mods, but there is nothing wrong with a ProVari/ Kayfun combo.
    As far as FDA Deeming regulations go, nothing is truly finalized yet....
    Majority Media | Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs Committee | Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs Committee
    The Chairman of Homeland Security (who has authority of Government Oversight) is demanding answers concerning the FDA's Deeming Regulations. Two Government agencies at each others throats might make for a good show. But nothing is finalized yet.
    Buy whatever you prefer. A few spare parts (if available from the manufacturer) is always a good idea. Try a little DIY if you like, but read up on the subject first.
    ANYTHING is better than smoking.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2016
    Ottawa area, Canada
    Unfortunately you're right. It's also unfortunate that they will become the ones that will only have the offerings of big tobacco in the future.

My suggestion is and always has been **Learn how to become self reliant**. Doesn't matter how you do it .... just as long as you are not relying on getting products that may no longer be available.

One thing that just makes me wonder is that all this fear about a possible sudden death of vaping stores or such, won't people still be able to simple order online?

When vaping starting, the only way to get anything was via online.. I know because we were "there" over 8 years ago and had to get everything this way... let alone absolutely no information aside the very basics. And that didn't stop us from being part of the "pioneers".. this was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before people even knew what "e-cigarettes" were, and everyone would look at us weirdly when we'd have them out in public.

So yup, I agreeing about self-reliance, but some might miss "the boat" thanks to this witch-hunt and never get to go with vaping, or fear it because of the propaganda.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread