Question about multimeter vs using mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

dzow05

Dec 19, 2013
P, Pa, USA
I have a carto that reads 2.9 ohms on my MVP 2. With my Fluke meter it reads 3.2 ohms. So my mod is 0.2 ohms off as well. My meter is calibrated.

Interesting. I know I've watched a bursardo video where he checks the ohm on a box reader and then on the provari and they both read the same so now I'm confused

RedNBlack

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2013
NE Georgia USA
:2c:
A good auto ranging volt ohm meter should be part of every vapers
tool box.
Does not have to cost $$$, but does have to be good......(no walmart specials)
The mass produced "ohm checkers" may not have the same quality control
most good volt ohm meters have. :blink:
The volt ohm meter is going to give you a more accurate reading,....IMHO

EL Pistoffo

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2013
S. FL
This is the meter I use: Fluke 87-V Digital Multimeter - Amazon.com

It's a very pricey model but I use it for my job. There are less expensive models but even this one: Fluke 114 Electrical TRMS Multimeter - Amazon.com
Still comes in at just over $100.

There are many other non-Fluke meters at much more reasonable prices that should work just fine. Here are a few though I'm not familiar with them:
Klein Tools MM200 Auto Ranging Multimeter - Amazon.com
Extech EX330 Autoranging Mini Multimeter with Built In Thermometer with Type K Remote Probe - Amazon.com
TekPower TP4000ZC PC based RS232-Interaced Auto Ranging Digital Multimeter: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I would steer clear of the very cheap meters (under $20) when looking for precise readings like used in measuring coils. Those cheapo meters might be ok for general measurements e.g. verifying voltages or shorts.

Maybe someone else can chime in on a good meter for a decent price.

FearTX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Outside of Austin, The Republic of Texas
I have a Fluke 87V that is calibrated
A Fieldpiece LT17A that is calibrated
A Greenlee Piece of crap that works but has to have .3 subtracted.

Built a dual coil on an IGO W today at 1.3 ohms, all the meters, the MVP2 and the Provari read it at 1.3ohm dry. Everything read it at 1.1ohms wet.

I think the Cheapo Greenlee was 14.99 on sale at HomeDepot one weekend when I had to do some troubleshooting at home and all of my meters were at work. (Home Depot 21 miles - Work was 45 miles at that time)

Last edited:

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Honestly, all it takes is a few crappy solder joints to throw the reading off. I saw somewhere on the forum where someone suggested shorting the coil checker with a short piece of wire to see what the internal resistance reading was. It should read very close to zero with copper wire. Take the "shorted" reading and subtract it from the resistance reading of your coil to get the "true" resistance reading.

EL Pistoffo

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2013
S. FL
I have a carto that reads 2.9 ohms on my MVP 2. With my Fluke meter it reads 3.1 ohms. So my mod is 0.2 ohms off as well. My meter is calibrated.

I'm going to retest some more with my meter and my MVP 2. I had a little difficulty getting a good contact position on my carto with the meter leads and that may have skewed the reading. I will do some better measurements tomorrow to really verify the accuracy of my mod.

Last edited:

FearTX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Outside of Austin, The Republic of Texas
I have a Fluke 87V that is calibrated
A Fieldpiece LT17A that is calibrated
A Greenlee Piece of crap that works but has to have .3 subtracted.

Built a dual coil on an IGO W today at 1.3 ohms, all the meters, the MVP2 and the Provari read it at 1.3ohm dry. Everything read it at 1.1ohms wet.

I think the Cheapo Greenlee was 14.99 on sale at HomeDepot one weekend when I had to do some troubleshooting at home and all of my meters were at work. (Home Depot 21 miles - Work was 45 miles at that time)

I have 2 MVP2s, my daily driver which is always out and charged and my back up, which is wrapped R2D2 style and basically sits on the desk and looks pretty. My Son also has an MVP2 I will check his later.

OK so after chiefing on the dual coil build all evening yesterday everything was reading 1.3ohms wet and gunky(Sticky Bun is gunky). I checked everything and I also charged my back up MVP2 It reads 1.5ohms.... So not all MV2s are created equal, my son will be over with his family tomorrow I will check it on his....

I'm going to retest some more with my meter and my MVP 2. I had a little difficulty getting a good contact position on my carto with the meter leads and that may have skewed the reading. I will do some better measurements tomorrow to really verify the accuracy of my mod.

I test my dripping attys on the little stands I have for them by touching one lead on the positive post and one in the drip well. The cartos I have I just hold one on the positive and press one in the punch hole. That way I can get opposing pressure and a solid connection for reading them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread