Lubing your threads??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kanger Banger

Apr 22, 2015
USA
All the videos on the KBOX complained about the irritating threads (like fingernails on a chalkboard) for the battery compartment, so I lubed mine when I got it with the lube I use for my flashlight's threads - SuperLube, and it's been great! Very smooth, feels very good to unscrew/screw.

Just wondering if others do this, and if it's bad to do for some reason. If it's not bad (like flashlights), then I highly recommend doing it! Make a HUGE difference in usability and enjoyment!

Reactions: kkay59

Cheechako

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Arizona
I use those little individual alcohol pads and clean my treads on the mod and tanks every once in a while.
Keeps the gunk to a minimum.

Vaping_zps3bb2d0f8.gif

Reactions: beckdg

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
I use a dab of a copper anti-seize on the tip of a toothpick on just about every threaded joint, but with toppers and 510 threads, I just keep those clean with alcohol.

I do not like to lube without real necessity. Lubrication attracts dust and dirt and threads heed to be cleaned periodically. I hate cleaning.

Funny, as much as I hate cleaning, I don't mind it when it comes to vaping. It's become part of my ritual.

I lube my threads with Flitz, work them a few times, then clean well. After that, just keep them clean and dry (usually clean with the glasses cleaning wipes at work after I do my glasses). They're never together long enough or hard enough for galling to be a thing, so I see no point in lubing them.

Since it was mentioned, this also works great on flashlight threads. Often rough threads are just the matte finish on the Type III anodizing, smooth that up and they're butter. Little silicone on the o-rings from time to time is nice though.

Reactions: kkay59

Kanger Banger

Apr 22, 2015
USA
I got some Ox-Gard. It is an electroconductive lubricant. Supposed to also prevent wasted energy in the body of the device. Wouldn't use anything else. No vaseline for me.

There are several brands available at your local hardware store.

Nilox is a good conductive lub also its cheap and you can buy it from Home depot.

Be careful with your conductive greases, as they could cause a short if it transmits conductivity between the positive and the negative connections (like where they're really close to each other, such as the 510 connector). If that conductive stuff bridges that tiny gap between the anode and cathode, you risk dangerously shorting your rig.

High current applications such as spark plugs use dielectric grease, which means non-conductive, but this is where it gets confusing. Dielectric means: having the property of transmitting electric force without conduction; insulating: a medium or substance that transmits electric force without conduction; an insulator.

Our mods can be considered high-current connections, at least where these little batteries are concerned. Dielectric grease does not inhibit the flow of electricity - even though the definition sort of seems to imply that it would. It passes the current through when the metals touch, but insulates the current from traveling any further. It is my opinion that dielectric grease should be used in vaporizer mods at their 510 connections and battery bottoms, as well as flashlights.

Dielectric for me, and I use a silicon based grease called SuperLube. Good luck to you if you choose to use a conductive grease. SuperLube is also FOODGRADE, which may be important with things that go in our mouths.

Kanger Banger

Apr 22, 2015
USA
Haven't had the need yet. One tank is a tad squeaky when screwing the bottom on but nothing much.

It's "preventative maintenance" as well as making the act of threading smooth and more pleasurable to feel and hear. It'll prevent corrosion while taking the "fingernails on a chalkboard" sound/feel out of the equation. It's like motor oil in an engine between piston-rings and cylinder walls.

It'll never need it, but will help with premature deterioration of the thread's shoulders, leading to a loose-fitting situation (kind of like threading a hot dog down a hallway).

hurricanegirl100

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
The burbies of Cleveland
Picked up a little tube of Noalox at Home Depot - 1 oz for $2.72 - Nice! Works great. No more Vicks on my IPV mini...Big note of thanks to Buzzlove, Pinggolfer and YoursTruli. No more problems getting the battery cap off and no more Vicks flavor! (I'm an ex-menthol smoker but that was freaking ridiculous!)

hurricanegirl100

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
The burbies of Cleveland
Nope, RT.the threads are clean (as in not grubby) but It's a poorly machined connection. I had a helluva time getting that battery cap on!

I used it on one of my mods, too.
It was kinda tricky getting any RDA on there - it catches, and I have to mess with it to get it in there properly. The Noalox makes it a lot easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread