GLASSMANOAK'S Contest Thread #103 ...for WINNERS and with MULTIPLE WINNERS !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CountBoredom

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2014
San Diego, CA, USA
8/2 #6
I really wanted the Squape R, but all of the clones seem to have issues, and I ain't spending that kind of money on an authentic.
My SquapeR still works fine... although it's now pretty much gathering dust since I picked up my Subtank Minis. Still, I received the new tank section, it has worked fine.

@Uncle I do not worry about legit keyloggers such as those from MS and Google. At this stage of the game, I truly believe that if you think you can hide AND use a computer, you are deluding yourself...
One doesn't even need to have a computer to be tracked. Databases are correlated all the time--and by using data-mining techniques, your life can pretty much be assembled without you even knowing it.

I am feeling pretty old after reading these. I started on a dumb terminal connected to a Cyber mainframe, then a dumb terminal connected to a Vax PDP/11-70. My first desktop was a Lisa (Apple) in which I later installed a Mac brain (a little software an Apple guy gave me at a convention) but the Lisa screen ratio was 2:3 and the Mac was 1:1 so the graphics were hosed (circles came out oval). The company started using Windoze 3.0 and 3.1, so I learned that, then got a real Mac (OS3 at only 33MHz - I still have it and it still works fine - slower than molasses, but it does work). Using the Mac, I missed Windoze 3.11 and 85 and 98 standard edition. When I came back to Windoze (at home), it was 98 special edition (98SE). I never did ME or Vista. I am running XP Pro now and Lannie has Windoze 7 Home (which I hate). One of the things Windoze did that ticked me off most was dumping my favorite mail program (Outlook Express) and that Live mail crap on 7 is something I don't even want to fuss with. So Shawn, keep us all updated on Windoze 10. Especially ways to defeat their "improvements" that take control out of the hands of the user. What Uncle says about "everything Ya' do goes to MS via a keystroker program" is, to me, a concrete wall stopper. I'll go to Linux before I let Microsoft have access to all my stuff.
I remember VAX systems--which I played around on but never actually used. I coded my first game on a Wang minicomputer and attempted to do the same thing on an Sinclair, but the 16k expander kept detaching from the unit, causing it to crash. I loved the TRS-80 in its day and then moved on to an IBM PC XT. My dad had a Mac SE that I played around with, but I hated how slow it felt. Unix in college, then DOS, and just about every version of Windows (including NT 3 and 4 and every flavor of 2000) except Vista. Along the way, there were also flirtations with OS/2, BeOS, and a couple early versions of Linux. I agree, Fuzzy: Win7 messed up mail and digital sound processing from the way things had run before; but overall, I like the interface.

So, we got home from my friend's house (obviously) and discovered that my son had turned on the heat in the bedroom... at about 1 pm. We didn't notice it before we left because it was a warm day, but now--when we should be enjoying the nice cool down of the evening, it's close to 90 degrees because he turned it all the way up. :-x

Good night, Treefam. And, Blue, I can now fully empathize with you... :facepalm:

Palm-Tree-Sunset-Wallpaper-Wallpapers-For-Desktop-hugohd.com_.jpeg

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
8/3
I am feeling pretty old after reading these. I started on a dumb terminal connected to a Cyber mainframe, then a dumb terminal connected to a Vax PDP/11-70. My first desktop was a Lisa (Apple) in which I later installed a Mac brain (a little software an Apple guy gave me at a convention) but the Lisa screen ratio was 2:3 and the Mac was 1:1 so the graphics were hosed (circles came out oval). The company started using Windoze 3.0 and 3.1, so I learned that, then got a real Mac (OS3 at only 33MHz - I still have it and it still works fine - slower than molasses, but it does work). Using the Mac, I missed Windoze 3.11 and 85 and 98 standard edition. When I came back to Windoze (at home), it was 98 special edition (98SE). I never did ME or Vista. I am running XP Pro now and Lannie has Windoze 7 Home (which I hate). One of the things Windoze did that ticked me off most was dumping my favorite mail program (Outlook Express) and that Live mail crap on 7 is something I don't even want to fuss with. So Shawn, keep us all updated on Windoze 10. Especially ways to defeat their "improvements" that take control out of the hands of the user. What Uncle says about "everything Ya' do goes to MS via a keystroker program" is, to me, a concrete wall stopper. I'll go to Linux before I let Microsoft have access to all my stuff.

No need to feel old :) My first to use was an Apple II. The first I owned was a Timex Sinclair. Then a Commodore VIC-20. Then a Compaq luggable with a whopping 640 K of RAM, 10 MB of HDD, and a 5.25 floppy in a case the size of a sewing machine with a 9" mono green screen. Dos 3.0.

I stayed with PCs through Windows 3.11 (which was running on a self-built 386 DX 33 with 4 MB of RAM and a 512 MB HDD) and switched to Macs as I was in the newspaper business then. I owned a Mac SE, a Mac SE30, Mac II, a Mac IIsi, a Mac IIci, a Powermac 6400, a Powermac 5200, a Powerbook Duo 2400, and an original iBook. There's still a G4 eMac sitting in the back room. I ran everything from System 1 on up through OS X 10.4.

I got out of the newspaper business to run my craft business, but I kept all of the (now hopelessly outdated) software. Now, I run everything off of an HP Pavilion G laptop with a 17.3" screen (largest I ever had except for a couple of the very special Macs I used to run), 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD (and an eternal 1 TB for backups). Things have changed a little...

Oh, for the whistle and whine of a 2400 baud modem!

Shawn - I have a regular Goblin and so far it's my favorite RTA! Only drawback, I have to refill it 2-3 a day, which is why I ordered the Zephyrus.

The original Goblin did not come with the plug that allows it to be used as a single coil device, did it? I was seriously looking at the Goblin V2, but want to build single coils...
unfinished___goblin_tree_by_bridge_troll.jpg

Fuzzy Thunderbear

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2015
NOWHERE, SD, USA
NOT AN ENTRY
I remember VAX systems--which I played around on but never actually used.
Yup, good old Vax. It ran Unix and we had to code all our text in order to get the printers to make something that looked like a technical manual... you had to insert codes in the same way you'd type: (SP) for start paragraph when (later) MS Word just required you to hit the return key. There are a few advantages to the modern world. ;)
Oh, for the whistle and whine of a 2400 baud modem!
I remember when our division of the company (Tektronix, if you ever heard of it) moved to a remote area (a corporate experiment), all of the engineering personnel were extremely excited when we got off modems and got a dedicated 9600 baud line back to the parent site. That was the very fastest thing in the world as far as we were concerned. Now I am running 10Mbps on a DSL line in the middle of nowhere South Dakota and often cursing that it isn't loading fast enough. Go figure...

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
SmileySummertree.gif
Well - "MoringNite" - "Tree People" . . .

cute-yellow-sun-laughing.gif
. . . Start of a NEW DAY . . .
nTE7B9q8c.gif

Time for - COFFEE
proxy.php

YES - COFFEE - TIME . . .
coffee-drinker-smiley-emoticon(2).gif

@Uncle I do not worry about legit keyloggers such as those from MS and Google. At this stage of the game, I truly believe that if you think you can hide AND use a computer, you are deluding yourself...
One doesn't even need to have a computer to be tracked. Databases are correlated all the time--and by using data-mining techniques, your life can pretty much be assembled without you even knowing it.

Okay - Both of "You" - I not stupid (Crazy/Insane/Off the wall - Yes) . . . AND - While I do realize, especially in this day and age - that if someone really wants to find "You" or what Ya' are doing they can . . . However, there is absolutely no reason for "Me" (or anyone else for that matter) to make it any easier for them to do so . . . Just Sayin' . . . :mad:

RANT . . .

IMO - The worse thing is all the people (particularly the "Younger" Generations) that just accept the fact that this can happen and do nothing to prevent it, or at least put out some fences or walls up . . . Top that off with interconnecting everything via the Internet, all the Social Media marketing, and I want to be a "Celebrity" mentality - There You Are . . . "My" life is an open book - come look . . . All That I Am & Have Is YOURS ! ! ! So Please - Do with it what Ya' wish . . . :-x :censored: :censored: :censored: :-x

Rant Over . . .

Anyway, in all seriousness, I am not that worried about someone really wanting to get any information I have on "My" Computer (or any other piece of equipment) - nor what I do via the internet . . . I just despise the unwarranted intrusion from an unknown entity without "My" knowing and/or permission . . . Guess it has to do with the fact that I come from a "We Keep Our Personal Business Private" generation, were we didn't discuss our personal lives and everything we did with just anyone . . . :facepalm:

Way too early in the morning for this type of discussion - I NEED MORE COFFEE ! ! ! o_O

My first to use was an Apple II.

AH - "My" first personal computer, a used Apple IIe and why I moved over to PC Land . . . ;)

Okay - Guess it is time to check out some of the other ECF neighborhoods . . .

See You Later . . .

bone_wave_animation.gif

angelphyre

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
MS Gulf Coast/NOLA
8/3
1. Morning Treefam...didn't get enough sleep last night, ended up staying up way too late finishing a book...now I'm dragging.

Welcome @crystalluv545 to one of the best threads on ECF...go back and edit your post to include a date and number so it can be counted for the contest.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
8/3
Once again, stayed up way too late, but this time I woke up on time... we're making our monthly run to parts north for broom making supplies.

@Uncle I'm not suggesting people become complacent. Vigilance is needed. Benign logging has been used for quite some time.
b0fb4050f53a83f71e17c18940c1346a.jpg

CountBoredom

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2014
San Diego, CA, USA
8/3 #1
Good morning, everyone.

I agree, Uncle. There is no reason to make things easier. I am also quite security conscious and have stayed away from social media. I was merely pointing out that people who think they are "off the grid" or "not in the system" are likely mistaken.

palm-trees-at-sunset.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread