Recommended Wattage for your juice.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

homeby5

May 12, 2015
I am a beginner at this and therefore ignorant.....so indulge me :)

Has anybody ever put a list together on their opinion of the best wattage for popular liquid manufacturers. Now I know that "popular" is subjective and all, so I do not expect this to be gospel but I do think it would be a general guideline for newbies such as myself. Case in point; I purchased some juice from Ahlusion (Shipwreck and Caramel Wildwood) and was not happy with the flavor until someone here (sorry, I forgot who) told me to crank it up to about 19 watts. VIOLA!!! That little bit of advice really makes my vaping experience more pleasurable. So....how about let us know how high you cook your favorite juices :)

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
There is no way of knowing, given toppers and mods are different, airflow is different, wicking is different. Different PG/VG ratios and nic. levels. Too many factors. Vaping by numbers doesn't get the best vape; deciding what works for you does...
I'll vape to that!

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
There is not specific WATTAGE for any juice.. Mainly because with todays Regulated mod. I can use nearly any wire I want to build any coil I want and run it at whatever wattage I choose to achieve a desired temperature. Not Like the days of old when If you wanted a certain wattage and temperature you built a coil to a specific OHM rate using specific wire.

Mike 586

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2014
Ottawa
Contrary to popular belief, wattage is not heat. Sure the more watts you apply to a particular coil the hotter it gets, but change the coil and 20W on one coil would instantly blow it, while on another it would barely feel warm to the touch depending on the build. Wire gauge and final resistance are the two single biggest considerations when determining the power that needs to be applied to a coil.

Honestly, the simplest way to get in the ballpark would be to use Steam Engine's coil wrapping tool and punch in your coil resistance and wire gauge then play with the heat flux to get it in the green and go from there.

hanzo.esq

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
TX
There is no way of knowing, given toppers and mods are different, airflow is different, wicking is different. Different PG/VG ratios and nic. levels. Too many factors. Vaping by numbers doesn't get the best vape; deciding what works for you does...
Just to expand on this a little, generally (but not always) some of the variables are:
- Smaller vapor chambers increase flavor
- Greater air flow increases vapor, cools the wick faster
- Larger wicks bring juice in faster and cool the coil faster
- Larger diameter coils can take larger wicks
- More wraps in a coil takes longer to heat up and increases the resistance
- Thicker wire in a coil takes longer to heat up, but lowers the resistance
- The lower the resistance of the coil, the more power (Watts) it takes to heat
- More contact between the coil and the wick cools the wick faster and generates more vapor
- More PG makes less vapor, increases the throat hit, makes the juice more fluid and makes it easier to wick
- More VG makes more vapor, but makes the juice goopy and harder to wick
- More power (Watts) makes the coil heat faster
- If the coil is not cooled fast enough, the vape tastes burnt
- Some wicking materials wick juice faster (cotton) than others (silica)

When you start putting that together...
- A Pro-Tank with a little vapor chamber and a coil of thin wire of 8 wraps around a little silica wick will heat up quickly with higher resistance (2 ohms) and low power. It will produce a good amount of vapor at 6-9 watts, but will taste burnt at higher wattages. It's thin wick can't cool the coil fast enough even with thin 70/30 liquid to produce big clouds.
- A rebuildable dripper with a thick .24 guage wire and 6 wraps around a thick cotton wick will heat up slowly at low resistance (.3 ohms). Because it has a thick wick with a fast wicking material, it can cool the coil quickly even with goopy 30/70 liquid. So someone might run high VG liquid in it, open the air flow up, and dump a lot of power on it (50 watts) to generate huge clouds.

This isn't all of it, but you get the idea. Knowing the proper power setting can generally only be known by the person vaping the device because there are so many variables which come together to be judged only by the person using it.

Hanzo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread