My Wick Caught On Fire !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
There must be something wrong with mine then. It's from Essential Depot. I wrote to them last night, and they asked for a batch number. Of course I will provide it, but since they didn't say that is normal, I am thinking there is something wrong ....

Hey Jimi, could you do this in a tea spoon like I did? Just curious for the sake of consistency. You might have to use a torch though since your stove is electric.

Anyone else try this with their brand? I am trying to keep my cool, but this stuff is serious - not normal for wick and coil to catch fire like mine.
I'll torch it. Shee-it ! I love experiments !

Reactions: Exchaner

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
Careful with the blow torch Jimi. Don't get it anywhere near your own "wick" :hubba:
I torched the vg with a spoon. I'm still waiting for YouTube to upload it. It did flame up. It took a couple of minutes. I've read the MSDS sheet and stated that VG was nonflammable. I guess if it gets hot enough, it will catch fire. Or mine contains impurities as well. I'll be calling Dave from FF next week with questions.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
It did flame up. It took a couple of minutes ... I guess if it gets hot enough, it will catch fire.

That is the whole point, if my juice caught fire vaping at a measly 10 watts, what is the risk vaping at 50 or 100 watts. Can't say for sure, but I felt a fire inside the chamber of my Kayfun a couple of times while vaping.... Kind of freaky.

BTW, I ran the same experiment with a different brand of VG from MFS, and it too started burning - although it took longer for the fire to start. It also left a brown ring along the side of the spoon - a possible indication of impurities.

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
That is the whole point, if my juice caught fire vaping at a measly 10 watts, what is the risk vaping at 50 or 100 watts. Can't say for sure, but I felt a fire inside the chamber of my Kayfun a couple of times while vaping.... Kind of freaky.

BTW, I ran the same experiment with a different brand of VG from MFS, and it too started burning - although it took longer for the fire to start. It also left a brown ring along the side of the spoon - a possible indication of impurities.
That is freaky man ! I'm vaping my stuff at 30-70 watts, but nothing has caught on fire. I've recently switched to cotton, and stopped adding distilled water to my mixes too.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
That is freaky man ! I'm vaping my stuff at 30-70 watts, but nothing has caught on fire. I've recently switched to cotton, and stopped adding distilled water to my mixes too.

I am a bit ambivilent about adding DW to my mix. It makes the vape much crisper for sure, but it also lowers the boiling point - perhaps lowering the ignition point. But then again, when I tried igniting the VG with added DW, it took longer to ignite - a bit confusing, not to mention freaky.

I will be testing pg to see if it behaves the same way.

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
I am a bit ambivilent about adding DW to my mix. It makes the vape much crisper for sure, but it also lowers the boiling point - perhaps lowering the ignition point. But then again, when I tried igniting the VG with added DW, it took longer to ignite - a bit confusing, not to mention freaky.

I will be testing pg to see if it behaves the same way.
PG will flame up faster. It's more flammable compared to vg.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
I like how many people here gave you crap before someone actually tried it...
I can also confirm that the VG I got from MFS will ignite when torched. That is troubling!

Although direct butane torch flame is at least 2000 degrees, far higher than a sane coil arrangement would reach.

My VG from Essential Depot ignited far below 2000 degrees. Jimi torched his from the top while I did mine from the bottom without touching the flame - Probably at 700-800 degrees. More significantly, my VG ignited at mere 10 watts right on the coil. That's what troubles me....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread