Status
Not open for further replies.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
I was pulsating a freshly made cotton wick, and a flame suddenly developed on top of the coil. The juice does not contain any alcohol. The coil was .9 ohms on a mechanical mod - probably 3.8 volts. This is the third time I have had this problem. Has anyone had a similar experience? I am speculating that I was pulsating the coil too fast with little time in between.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I was pulsating a freshly made cotton wick, and a flame suddenly developed on top of the coil. The juice does not contain any alcohol. The coil was .9 ohms on a mechanical mod - probably 3.8 volts. This is the third time I have had this problem. Has anyone had a similar experience? I am speculating that I was pulsating the coil too fast with little time in between.

Just Curious:

Why were you Pulsing the Coil when there was a Wick in it?

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Just Curious:

Why were you Pulsing the Coil when there was a Wick in it?

Yeah, cotton will BURN, when it dries out.. Pulsing causes drying. You have to allow time for new juice to replace the juice you vaporize. What gauge wire are you using? .9ohms and 3.8 volts means NOTHING without the info, telling one how HOT the coil is.

It was a freshly made cotton coil for my kayfun. Pulsating a few times helps get rid of the fresh cotton taste; also primes it a bit. One correction, it was not the cotton that caught fire, just the juice on top. The cotton was fine afterwards.

The coil was 28 gauge, 2 mm diameter - (6/5 rounds I believe)

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
It was a freshly made cotton coil for my kayfun. Pulsating a few times helps get rid of the fresh cotton taste; also primes it a bit. Interestingly enough, it was not the cotton that caught fire, just the juice on top. The cotton was fine afterwards.

The coil was 28 gauge, 2 mm diameter - (6/5 rounds I believe)

Gotcha... You know best what Works for you.

For me, I don't like to hit the Power Button when I Don't have any air flow over a Coil and a Cotton Wick.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Is the juice DIY?? Is it a different juice? DIY is the only way I can think of that would garantee 100% alcohol free juice or flavorings. Ejuice does burn, see Stainless mesh prep, could be a hot coil or maybe leg or hot spot igniting it. Seems far fetched..

The juice barely contained 2% of tobacco flavoring. It was a DIY containing 5% of distilled water and 80% VG - fully air steeped to evaporate any possible alcohol. Water lowers the boiling temp of VG - perhaps the reason why the juice ignited so easily. A dry wick was not a factor since the cotton was fully saturated ( in fact too saturated )

You might be right about possible hot spots.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
The juice barely contained 2% of tobacco flavoring. It was a DIY containing 5% of distilled water and 80% VG - fully air steeped to evaporate any possible alcohol. Water lowers the boiling temp of VG - perhaps the reason why the juice ignited so easily. A dry wick was not a factor since the cotton was fully saturated ( in fact too saturated )

You might be right about possible hot spots.

My guess is next you'll mention you didn't dryburn the coil before rewicking.

mudmanc4

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2009
In The Plex
kb.lime-it.us
Running a mech at 10 watts? There is your answer right there. Shouldn't require anymore than a standard 18650, or 18350 both ~4.1-2v full charge. Stacking in a mech is been done for years, but I've had to insure a bit higher Ohm coil before setting the topper on fire.

EDIT: ok, needs food brain slow...... None the less, check your ohm meter is telling you the truth

Reactions: thetrucker

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Could it be petroleum distillates in the VG ? Sounds possible.

Check if it ignites. Just a guess man.

I followed your suggestion and heated half a tea spoon of the VG on the stove. Sure enough, it ignited within 10 seconds. The fire would not go out until I extinguished it myself. Weird indeed - a cause for concern !!

Could you guys duplicate this simple experiment to see if your brand will yield the same results? We can then exchange brand info.

Last edited:

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
I followed your suggestion and heated half a tea spoon of the VG on the stove. Sure enough, it ignited within 10 seconds. The fire would not go out until I extinguished it myself. Weird indeed - a cause for concern !!

Could you guys duplicate this simple experiment to see if your brand will yield the same results? We can then exchange brand info.
My brand reached its boiling point. It never flamed up. I'm in big trouble though. My house is covered in fog !!! LOL

My favorite brand is from Foggy's Fog. Amazon carries it as well.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
There must be something wrong with mine then. It's from Essential Depot. I wrote to them last night, and they asked for a batch number. Of course I will provide it, but since they didn't say that is normal, I am thinking there is something wrong ....

Hey Jimi, could you do this in a tea spoon like I did? Just curious for the sake of consistency. You might have to use a torch though since your stove is electric.

Anyone else try this with their brand? I am trying to keep my cool, but this stuff is serious - not normal for wick and coil to catch fire like mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread