Built my first Kayfun today, very happy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saippenu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2016
U.S. Northeast
I am new to this RTA thing, having just bought a bunch of Ehpro kayfun Lite version 2 from fast tech. They've been sitting in a box for a few weeks now and today was my first try. I wasn't necessarily expecting success and I most definitely didn't expect it to be easy the first time after all that I have read on the forums...lots of people having trouble, mostly with wicking.

I used a great Youtube video. The guy had a heavy English accent and I could only understand one in three words but he did such a good job showing it as he went that I had no trouble following him.

I was shooting for 2.1 ohms because that's what I am using in a Iclear 30 s tank. Mine came out to 2.2 ohms first try :)

It works great, tastes good and no leaks or shorts. I am very glad that I finally gave it a go. Not so hard at all, as many here have said that it was easy to do. I took a picture of it LOL. I'm so proud :thumbs:

Saippenu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2016
U.S. Northeast
Congrats! Your first successful build is always very gratifying. Post your pic and give us a look at it.

Here is the pic. It's a bit wobbly looking still, I had to heat it a few times and it got neater. I forgot to take the pic of it wicked. I was too excited to fill it up and try it out.

View media item 429845

Saippenu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2016
U.S. Northeast
Welcome to the coven! (one of us... one of us...) :D

I just started building coils last month on a SM Kayfun 5, and like you, I found it much easier that anticipated, at least for simple kanthal builds.

Yes mine was a simple kanthal, 28 awg. I was more surprised that the wicking worked first try. That was what I've read causes the most trouble. The video was very good though and I followed his directions to the letter.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Here is the pic. It's a bit wobbly looking still, I had to heat it a few times and it got neater. I forgot to take the pic of it wicked. I was too excited to fill it up and try it out.

View media item 429845

Looks good. You got the leg from the positive post clear of the rest of the block, so you will have no short circuit problem. Height looks good, too. That's a good build!

Wick size can effect flavor and vapor. I roll my wicks lightly between my fingers to compact and shape them, then twist one end firmly to create a smaller diameter to ease insertion. A good wick will have light drag as you pull it through the coil. Twisting it while pulling it through makes it go through the coil easier. It's better to be a little snug as you pull it through. Too little wick and it will sag inside the coil and cause hot spots and weak flavor.

Last edited:

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I am new to this RTA thing, having just bought a bunch of Ehpro Kayfun Lite version 2 from Fast Tech. They've been sitting in a box for a few weeks now and today was my first try. I wasn't necessarily expecting success and I most definitely didn't expect it to be easy the first time after all that I have read on the forums...lots of people having trouble, mostly with wicking.

I used a great Youtube video. The guy had a heavy English accent and I could only understand one in three words but he did such a good job showing it as he went that I had no trouble following him.

I was shooting for 2.1 ohms because that's what I am using in a Iclear 30 s tank. Mine came out to 2.2 ohms first try :)

It works great, tastes good and no leaks or shorts. I am very glad that I finally gave it a go. Not so hard at all, as many here have said that it was easy to do. I took a picture of it LOL. I'm so proud :thumbs:
Congrats!

Rebuilding is nowhere as hard as they think. But some one would rather pay $1-5 per coil head for convenience than take 1-2 cents of wire and 20 seconds to wrap a coil.

If people want convenience do what i do wrap 10-12 coils in advance.

For me the sweet spot for my Juice is .8-1 ohm.

Reactions: bnrkwest

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona

View media item 429845
Certainly better than my first attempt. My first build was UGLY! Buf even an ugly coil worked.

The trick to wicking is TIGHT but still able to slide without pulling the coil to one side.

Juice your wick and the wick will swell to fit the coil PERFECTLY.

Saippenu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2016
U.S. Northeast
Congrats!

Rebuilding is nowhere as hard as they think. But some one would rather pay $1-5 per coil head for convenience than take 1-2 cents of wire and 20 seconds to wrap a coil.

If people want convenience do what i do wrap 10-12 coils in advance.

For me the sweet spot for my Juice is .8-1 ohm.

Yeah, a little over a month ago I was using en ego battery and a kanger T3S tank LOL. I was paying $10 for 20 ML of store bought juice, which lasted me a week and $3 per coil, coils that only lasted 5 days.
Then I discovered Fast Tech thanks to these forums so only payed $1.10 per coil for the Iclear s30 that I upgraded to 4 weeks ago (paired with a new Provari) and I thought I was in heaven.

Now I DIY my own juice, which tastes better than the store bought and costs ...well I dont know what it's costing but I think it's like $1.50 maybe for 30ML? AND making my own coils which is almost free to do.

I've come a long way in just 4 weeks after returning to these forums :)

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Yeah, a little over a month ago I was using en ego battery and a kanger T3S tank LOL. I was paying $10 for 20 ML of store bought juice, which lasted me a week and $3 per coil, coils that only lasted 5 days.
Then I discovered Fast Tech thanks to these forums so only payed $1.10 per coil for the Iclear s30 that I upgraded to 4 weeks ago (paired with a new Provari) and I thought I was in heaven.

Now I DIY my own juice, which tastes better than the store bought and costs ...well I dont know what it's costing but I think it's like $1.50 maybe for 30ML? AND making my own coils which is almost free to do.

I've come a long way in just 4 weeks after returning to these forums :)
Congrats.

Next time try a lower resistance coil. My sweet spot is .8-1 ohm. Try differerent resistances. To find your sweet spot.

Saippenu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2016
U.S. Northeast
Congrats.

Next time try a lower resistance coil. My sweet spot is .8-1 ohm. Try differerent resistances. To find your sweet spot.

yeah, because I have been using premade coils up until now I haven't tried out different ohms to see what they are like. I wanted to stick with something easy for the first build.

I will try out lots of different ones eventually. I have a Pico coming soon ( gave the first one I bought to a friend). That will let me play with sub-ohm although I don't expect to like that as I am a big 'ole tootle puffer and don't care for even turning the voltage up very high on the Provari.

Vaping is a whole new world now with lots of new gadgets to try out. I'll be making coils for a couple of friends who's tastes are very different from my own so I need to get good at it.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
yeah, because I have been using premade coils up until now I haven't tried out different ohms to see what they are like. I wanted to stick with something easy for the first build.

I will try out lots of different ones eventually. I have a Pico coming soon ( gave the first one I bought to a friend). That will let me play with sub-ohm although I don't expect to like that as I am a big 'ole tootle puffer and don't care for even turning the voltage up very high on the Provari.

Vaping is a whole new world now with lots of new gadgets to try out. I'll be making coils for a couple of friends who's tastes are very different from my own so I need to get good at it.

I'm a tootle puffer and sub ohmer

.8-1 ohm coil and I vape at 8-12.5 watts.

Saippenu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2016
U.S. Northeast
Steam Engine is your easiest and best way to figure out resistance from coil diameter, wire size, and wire type. Once you input that it gives you the turn count to achieve your desired resistance.

Steam Engine main page
Thanks for the link. I did use it actually, that's how I got the right ohm reading on the first try :) Lots of good tools here on the forum, love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread