Real Flavors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Whats a good starting % for the SC extracts?
recommended ranges on their site vary from flavor to flavor but are generally 1% - 3.5%. I tested my recent 24 flavor order as single flavors in the 0.8% - 2.5% range. The ones I have mixed up into bigger single flavor batches I ended up going with 3.5%, which is also my total flavoring goal for the recipes I have now started testing.

I just put another 19 new flavors into my cart but resisted the urge to buy them, so far.... I need to vape up more of my older TFA/CAP/FW flavors (which will probably take me most of the rest of this year) before I start building up my RF SC flavor stash more so I will probably wait until a future sale before I place my next order.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    recommended ranges on their site vary from flavor to flavor but are generally 1% - 3.5%. I tested my recent 24 flavor order as single flavors in the 0.8% - 2.5% range. The ones I have mixed up into bigger single flavor batches I ended up going with 3.5%, which is also my total flavoring goal for the recipes I have now started testing.

I just put another 19 new flavors into my cart but resisted the urge to buy them, so far.... I need to vape up more of my older TFA/CAP/FW flavors (which will probably take me most of the rest of this year) before I start building up my RF SC flavor stash more so I will probably wait until a future sale before I place my next order.
    Thanks, that gives me a good start.

Chuy

Verified Member
    Sep 9, 2016
    Arizona
    @Fozzy71
    Thanks for these recipes fozzy, they are very tasty with the % you gave me, made a small batch of 30 mls each one
    3 days steeping and they are very tasty ( don't know if I could wait longer ) I am liking them already may have to make a 120 mls bottle of each ones.
    Thanks again

Very Berry French Toast (RFSC)

1.60% French Toast (Real Flavors)
    1.10% Cream (Real Flavors)
    1.05% Strawberry (Real Flavors)

Vanilla Cheesecake Custard v1 (RFSC)
    1.50% Vanilla Custard (Real Flavors)
    1.00% Cheesecake (Real Flavors)
    1.00% Graham Cracker (Real Flavors)

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 7, 2016
    8 Mile + 2.5
    @Chuy

They def get better with a few weeks steeping. I just tested the French Toast one a little while ago that I made Jan 9th and it is pretty tasty. I will definitely be making bigger batches of each eventually but I am still trying to vape/mix all my non real flavors brands first which is going to take me quite a while.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    www.e-cigarette-forum.com
    I had to take some of my VG flavors up to 20% and they definitely need a long steep. Some posters on other forums have said at least 2 months steeping time was needed.

I've read almost this whole thread after buying the real flavors VG funnel cake. I'm guessing 12 - 15% and a real long steep. But I have not seen much talk about how these VG flavors react to heat steeping. I was thinking of using my crock pot and giving it a 5 - 10 hour 140F bath.

Any thoughts?

Reactions: Kenna

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 7, 2016
    8 Mile + 2.5
    Fozzy71, may I ask what made you decide to go all-Real-Flavors? I'm sure you've said before, but searching that kind of specific thing is useless.

I just like that they are a local company for me and I can get plenty of flavor using just a few % of total flavoring instead of having to use 15 or 20% like I do when using TFA and other brands.

I've read almost this whole thread after buying the real flavors VG funnel cake. I'm guessing 12 - 15% and a real long steep. But I have not seen much talk about how these VG flavors react to heat steeping. I was thinking of using my crock pot and giving it a 5 - 10 hour 140F bath.

Any thoughts?

I haven't done heat steeping since I first started DIY and never did it with any of the VG flavors. I doubt it could hurt so I would be interested in your results if you try it.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    I haven't done heat steeping since I first started DIY and never did it with any of the VG flavors. I doubt it could hurt so I would be interested in your results if you try it.

Thanks,

Just placed the order so I'll report the results in a week.

SteveS45

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 27, 2016
    Long Island, New York

I use heat to speed up the infusion of most of my e-Liquids that I make. Simply put it in a cup of hot water not over 150°F until the water starts to cool off and refill a couple of times. I have had e-Liquids ready to vape in a couple of hours. Doesn't really help with custards or Yogurts but it does speed up the infusion and the blossoming of the flavors.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 7, 2016
    8 Mile + 2.5
    I use heat to speed up the infusion of most of my e-Liquids that I make. Simply put it in a cup of hot water not over 150°F until the water starts to cool off and refill a couple of times. I have had e-Liquids ready to vape in a couple of hours. Doesn't really help with custards or Yogurts but it does speed up the infusion and the blossoming of the flavors.
    I used a crock pot on the warm setting when I first started but I now have 2 - 3 liters steeping all the time so I am never in a rush for anything to steep. I am currently vaping batches I made in October and November.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    I have not seen much talk about how these VG flavors react to heat steeping. I was thinking of using my crock pot and giving it a 5 - 10 hour 140F bath.

Any thoughts?

As a followup to my heat steeping question. I mixed the "Real Flavors funnel cake" at 12% and tasting it fresh I noticed a strong chemical taste and what tasted to me like a prevalent lemon note. It also seems to leave kind of a sour after taste. It did have a similar cake like taste to funnel cake but not spot on. I'm a Jersey boy and know the taste of new jersey shore funnel cake and although it had some characteristics of funnel cake it wasn't even close to what I was expecting. Funnel cake basically is almost like a swirled Italian zappoli with powered sugar and has no lemon or sourness to it.

After a 6 hour steep there was very little color change (Very pale yellow almost clear). The entire over all taste mellowed (Which in this case was a good thing) the lemon faded but you can still taste it slightly in the back ground and the chemical taste was still there but only ever so slightly and the sour after taste was still there but not as prevalent as when sampled fresh. The powered sugar taste was never present even fresh. Over all steeping did improve it quite a bit as far as taming the chemical and lemon taste. The odor of the vapor is very pastry like but does have that tinge smell similar to the sour after taste

I still think it's to strong so I think I'll let it steep quite a while longer and if it don't mellow down I'll dilute it to maybe 8%.

Now don't get me wrong I think it's still a vapable mix, just not what I was expecting. I think with a little work I can improve on this quite a bit because the basic foundation is there.. We'll see what a few weeks to a month brings to this mix.

Last edited:

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 7, 2016
    8 Mile + 2.5
    FYI since he doesn't post here AFAIK:

Walt_RealFlavors
    Sooooo... Who wants the meeting notes?

PDO Flavors are being discontinued.

Retail Prices on VG Based Flavors are dropping
    1oz $5.95 -> $3.95
    4oz $17.95 -> $12.95 :)open_mouth:)

Retail Prices on the Super Concentrates are dropping.
    1oz $7.95 -> $5.95
    4oz $24.95 -> $17.95 :)open_mouth:)

Wholesale / Distributor Prices are dropping as well

Free shipping on all orders is being removed from the main site but will remain on Amazon and Walmart.com

New Flavors releasing in late Feb 2017:
    Nutmeg
    Carrot Cake
    Cinnamon Roll II

New Flavors releasing in late Mar 2017:
    Black Labeled Bourbon Vanilla
    Black Labeled French Vanilla

Vicman

ECF Veteran
    Jun 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Been playing with a blueberry pancake and came up with something. Might need a little tweaking but not bad after a week.

2.5% Pancake (SC)(RF)
    2% Blueberries and Cream (RF VG)
    .5% Sweet Cream (SC)(RF)

I used the blueberries and cream as that was the only blueberry I had from Real Flavors. Plus, I like the way this blueberry tastes and think it would be a good accent note to the pancake. I want the blueberry to be in the background, like when I make blueberry pancakes for breakfast. Kinda feel the blueberry and cream VG flavor at low percentage might do the trick. The pancake flavor is nice and want that to be the anchor flavor. The sweet cream is to add some rich sweetness like a whipped cream.

After a week the pancake is upfront. The blueberry is a tad weak; might up it a percent or two (will see how it comes along after a few weeks). The sweet cream adds the richness I was after. Not a whipped cream but more like a sweet butter.

b.m.

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 30, 2014
    Ohio
    walt just launched some super sweet goodness on his site: a couple new super concentrates and all sorts of crazy new SC beta flavors.
    Glad to see the bread pudding in sc now,although i may have to try the bread pudding 2 from the beta section,and definitely interested in trying the Paczki too,i love the real thing,so if the flavor tastes anywhere near the real thing,i may never buy any other flavors again haha.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 7, 2016
    8 Mile + 2.5
    Glad to see the bread pudding in sc now,although i may have to try the bread pudding 2 from the beta section,and definitely interested in trying the Paczki too,i love the real thing,so if the flavor tastes anywhere near the real thing,i may never buy any other flavors again haha.
    I ate the most amazing cannoli cream filled paczki last week, 2 of my favorite things all in one.

NGAHaze

Infinity Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 13, 2010
    Georgia
    In the interest of providing an alternate perspective, I am sad to report that I was not particularly impressed with the SC flavors that I received from RF during the holidays. They arrived in 3 different styles of bottles, ( only one of which was in the style now shown on the website ) potentially indicating I received some old stock so perhaps that is part of the issue. Additionally, one of the bottles leaked a fair amount of it's contents ruining it's label and in doing so, vividly illustrating that the caps being used are NOT air tight. Personally, I would like to see foil seals used on any containers of flavoring larger than 10-15 ml but that's obviously a different discussion.

IMHO, these flavors are simply not 'Super Concentrated'. I ended up having to use upwards of 4-5% before a distinct flavor emerged and even then I wouldn't exactly call it substantial either. Granted I readily admit I am not a super taster but I generally tone down most recipes I try because they are too strong for my tastes. While the usage guidance on the SC line is similar to FA, I do not find them comparable at all. I would rate them somewhere between FA and TFA in strength.

The flavors themselves aren't bad, they just aren't strong enough, for me anyway. If you like a more subtle approach to flavoring these might be great for you but I prefer a bolder flavor that I can tone down to my liking rather than having to use increasingly larger amounts of flavoring in order to achieve the profile I am after. I was hoping they would improve with age but after approximately 2 months now, any such improvement is minimal at best.

Again, to be clear, the flavors I tried aren't bad at all, they just aren't what I would expect from a product labeled as 'Super Concentrated'. I think the recent price reduction is great and that should help them gain a wider audience but from someone who tried them at the original price point, I probably won't be revisiting them anytime soon despite the lower cost. I may try a couple of additional experiments using PG only as the carrier since my normal base is high VG but I doubt there will be much difference given it's the same base I use with all my recipes and they have not been negatively affected.

I don't mean to be the party pooper here, I just wanted to provide my honest opinion of the products that I tried in hopes that it helps someone. As a result of my experience, I'd suggest only purchasing a couple of flavors at first to try out and see if they are, potency wise, the right fit for you.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread