A list of symptoms when quitting tobacco and changing to an ecigarette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schroedinger's cat

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2008
North Carolina, USA
I just informally asked a toxicologist for an opinion on e-cigarettes safety (he knew about them). He said that, overall, his opinion was that they are likely safer than the lightest analog. However, he warned against flavored juices, because flavors can contain toxic substances (as mentioned below), including also heavy metal particles, etc, not good for inhalation.

No burn baby

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2008
Buckinghamshire, England, UK
I just informally asked a toxicologist for an opinion on e-cigarettes safety (he knew about them). He said that, overall, his opinion was that they are likely safer than the lightest analog. However, he warned against flavored juices, because flavors can contain toxic substances (as mentioned below), including also heavy metal particles, etc, not good for inhalation.

Which is why we really need a break down of what flavours are safest!

Okay, been vaping for a week and wanted to know if this sypmtom was common. I did a search and it seems the only other person to be affected by this was Cash.

Anyone in their first week suffer from (dare I say it) ........ or "the runs?"

I know it can be a common symptom from OD'ing, but there's no way that could be possible in my case cause I only use low-medium nic carts. Gah, the human body's a mystery. Thnx, ya'll.

taz3cat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2008
Port Arthur, Texas
Tbob have you read Wikapedia, nicotine, therputic uses of nicotine,) read the whole thing). I found several things that applyed or could apply to me physcial and mentally. Some of us are self medicating with Nicotine and the doctors would tell us nothing is
wrong with us, because we don't meet the full criteria for any type of illness.

A regular cig help when I have an allergy attack. My doctor says I am full of it. I don't care what he says I really like breathing. He has not given me anything that works faster or better. It does not matter if it is physical or mental , it works for me.

Mommyshann

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2008
Florida, USA
Okay, been vaping for a week and wanted to know if this sypmtom was common. I did a search and it seems the only other person to be affected by this was Cash.

Anyone in their first week suffer from (dare I say it) ........ or "the runs?"

I know it can be a common symptom from OD'ing, but there's no way that could be possible in my case cause I only use low-medium nic carts. Gah, the human body's a mystery. Thnx, ya'll.

J - I think the only reason you don't find it on the boards more is that it's one of those topics people try not to discuss. I also had the same issue for the first 2 1/2 weeks. It will go away along with the gas that comes along with it as well ;)

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Taz3cat, I've read everything I could find on nicotine and its consequences. I'm a nicotine addict, and I need to know what I'm doing to myself.

It's a drug, and like many drugs, it can have positive and negative health impacts. For many, it's a "normalizing" drug. It stabilizes a person, relaxing and stimulating at the same time. Many users concentrate better. Many with a variety of mental problems can benefit from nicotine.

The downside is serious, though. You clobber your "good HDL" cholesterol, ratchet up blood pressure and heart rate, initiate cataracts, compromise sexual prowess (prolonged use shrinks your testicles; a television show the other night revolved around that usually unmentioned side effect), etc. Yes, I read about nicotine. But mostly on sites like Science Daily, which posts every new and old study on items of science interest. I try to stay current, as new studies are being done all the time now.

If you find an interesting study, please post it for us.

Mommyshann

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2008
Florida, USA
No problem J. And if you order it and find you don't like it just pm me and I'll buy it from ya. I'm on my 2nd bottle right now so it's about time for another order anyway. I'm not so much a coffee drinker for the caffeine but for the taste. I love coffee! It's generally my drink of choice from about 6am to 6pm. I'll drink it with or without caffeine, milk, or sugar and am very picky about the flavor of my coffee. So, in that respect the flavor of the coffee juice was very important to me. Honestly for me, this juice has a Kona type of flavor to it though very subtle. The only complaint that I have is that the coffee flavor could definitely a bit stronger for me. It seems a bit weak sometimes but that could also be because I drink coffee all day and that covers it up. I know that first thing in the morning and after a meal the flavor is really strong and is fantastic.

Mommyshann

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2008
Florida, USA

Kimmiegrif

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2008
Maryland USA
the worst thing about stopping that bad habit of smoking burning tabacco, is...is the new thing I am trying giving me side affects ....there are alot of side affects of stopping that nasty habit, so you started a new, good question...what are the side affects? funny they go away after most either quit or cut back, could it be that your body is getting rid of it's addictions to those other chemicals you used to ingest?????

Ok, just got through reading this thread and have to say... WOW. Satire, you are amazing dude. My hat is off to ya.

Now with all that has been said, these are my two cents for what they are worth....

I've been smoking since I was 12 (I'm 44 now). During that time, yes I've quit on numerous occasions, sometimes for a couple of years but have always returned. It was really not even about the nicotine but the actual act of smoking. With an e-cig I get that fix. Granted, we are injesting vapor with 'stuff' in it. But when compared with a real cig, come on let's get real. A real cig has over 4,000 known chemicals and carcinogens. With an e-cig (and this is just from all the different materials I've read) they have at most 20 we are inhaling depending on flavoring and the juice you are using. Let me think here... 4,000 or 20? I'm still thinking vaping is the way to go if I have to have a fix.

I've been vaping now for a week and the two symptoms I've had is the dry/sore throat and some sneezing after vaping. Now I'm a woman with some health issues including bronchitis and asthma. After smoking the real deal my chest always felt heavy and when out with friends for the night out, I always smoked way more..hence the next morning was hell. Since vaping I've not had the opportunity for my 'night out' but will tell all when I do. In the meantime, I'm still thrilled with the results.

Finding out what is we are all inhaling is fascinating and I'm still anxious to hear more but in the long run, everything in this world is gonna kill us one way or another. I'm thinking e-cigs are the least of our worries....

Just my two cents for what they are worth.

Be well,
ang.

Schroedinger's cat

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2008
North Carolina, USA
I tend to agree with you, Angiicat, and with everyone else who says that, if the alternative is smoking, then e-smoking has to be better. However, if it is possible to make e-cigs safer without ruining the experience, it should be attempted. Many on this forum changed to e-smoking for health reasons, so it would be a pity if e-smoking could be safer but isn't because of carelessness and ignorance.
I personally have gone from 22 to 2 real cigarettes a day, and I started e-smoking to prepare myself for the upcoming total tobacco ban at my workplace. I never dreamed it could cut down smoking so much and so painlessly for me.

For some weird reason, even though I do think e-smoking has gotta be safer than cigarettes (and rationally that is enough for me), I am unnerved by the unknowns of it. Smoking has been around for a long time -we know the bad side effects. Not knowing really does make me nervous, though....

scooterking

Nov 16, 2008
I've been esmoking for a week now.. I still smoke analog. I went from 25 analogs a day to 10 a day within two days of getting my e-cig. The first few days i was fine. I ordered some additional juices from puresmoker, and i don't know if it was the juice, or it is just my body freaking out. For the past two days i feel like i got hit by a train, every muscle hurts. Is it the juice or just the esmoking?? I've had to go back to more analog, since my entire body is just sore..

You have a point about the unknown factors and I myself agree with you. I'm so glad we have a forum here where we can talk about it and get the facts straight.

I myself took two puffs off an analog last night and was very disappointed with the taste alone. I've come to really enjoy the taste of my little e-cig. It has helped me cut away the analogs and eventually I think the e-cig will be more for social than anything for me.

Vape on pals...
be well,
~the 'still vaping' Cat

sixstring

ECF Veteran
Oct 15, 2008
SW Ga. USA
www.kdpconline.com
I've been esmoking for a week now.. I still smoke analog. I went from 25 analogs a day to 10 a day within two days of getting my e-cig. The first few days i was fine. I ordered some additional juices from puresmoker, and i don't know if it was the juice, or it is just my body freaking out. For the past two days i feel like i got hit by a train, every muscle hurts. Is it the juice or just the esmoking?? I've had to go back to more analog, since my entire body is just sore..

It's been called "smokers flu". I went thru 2 or 3 days of feeling like complete crap, tired, sore, etc.

I've settled in to between 2 and 5 regular cigs a day... I still can't kick the one first thing in the morning.:cry:

Also - keep posting and reading on this forum! It's kind of like a support group.

Stick with it! you'll eventually feel better.

Last edited:

Weegie Burd

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
It's early days for me, and the indigestion was a killer for a few days, but I'm finding I have less 'every day' symptoms since e-smoking than I did before. 8-o Maybe it's just coincidence and I'm having a good week, who knows?

To let you understand; I suffer from M.E. and Crohn's Disease. :( I've been registered disabled for the past 6 years due to my condition, I'm [approx 98% of the time] housebound (thank Gawd for internet grocery/ eCig shopping lol).

Anyway, amongst the many other ailments I have <gets the violins out lol> I suffer from [almost daily] ........ and muscle spasms/aches, including throat spasms.

In the last few days I haven't had any of those symptoms. :) It's been great not to spend my [limited] waking hours having my muscles jump about like a dodgy massage chair, or have my bowels open more times than a tart's legs. :p

As I said, it's maybe coincidence and I could be back to square one tomorrow, but for now I'm pinning my hopes on this [lack of analogues] being what's making the difference. :)

It will pain me though to admit that my smoking has made my illness(es) worse over the years. :mad:

Last edited:
Weegie, I understand your pain. I myself have rheumatoid and psoriatic arthritis coupled with Lupus. Yeah rah for me. But since starting e-cigs I have begun to notice a few of the symptoms talked about here. Namely congestion in the nose. I hate, hate, hate,... did I mention hate? not being able to breathe through my nose. Now I did get a flu shot recently and maybe that is to blame but I do feel kinda crappy today but I wouldn't say I've been vaping excessively or anything yet I do find I blow smoke through my nose more since being on the e-cig. Anyone else?

be well and vape on...
~the 'prolly just got the flu' Cat :oops:

leftezi

ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2008
Greece
e-kapnisma.gr
.........The pro: sometimes I find myself not smoking for hours without even noticing it. I have the feeling that I could quit smoking anyday if I wanted to (but I do not want, yet). That is something that never happened with real cigs. Strange...

Yeah! The same with me. I did not expected to feel that way ever.
The fact is that i don't quit right now, but it is the first time where i feel that i could succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread