Not open for further replies.

skydragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Mountain Cave
Hello,
As you can all tell I am new to posting but I freely admit my head feels like it is going to explode from all the reading I have done and trying to figure out what is what. Soooo, I decided to just start asking specific questions if you would be so kind as to answer.
If I smoke approx. one pack of Marlboro Reds a day, sometimes a little more, what strength pre-mixed e-liquid would you all suggest
I use? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Hello,
As you can all tell I am new to posting but I freely admit my head feels like it is going to explode from all the reading I have done and trying to figure out what is what. Soooo, I decided to just start asking specific questions if you would be so kind as to answer.
If I smoke approx. one pack of Marlboro Reds a day, sometimes a little more, what strength pre-mixed e-liquid would you all suggest
I use? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Most kits come with what they call "high" which is about 18 mg. of nicotine.

Have you ever gone totally off nicotine for at least a week? How did you feel? If you felt confused, could not concentrate, couldn't remember things, and it wasn't getting any better, then you will probably need a higher level of nicotine, perhaps step up to 24 mg.

You can also get liquid in 36mg strenth, but I would recommend that you buy a small bottle of the 24 and see how you get along. You can buy the liquid and refill the cartridges.

If you are still functional when you go totally off nicotine, then you can start with what comes in the starter kit and work your way down to lower levels, step-wise.

If you are a pack-a-day smoker, I would go with a machine that has a higher capacity cartridge than the "super-mini"-- many people swear by the 510 model. I've gotten along on an njoy NPRO, but I only smoked 1/2 a pack a day. I found that I was getting a little forgetful and confused on the 18 mg that came with the kit, so I upped the strength to 24 I've been OK on that.

Does that help?

Last edited:

skydragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Mountain Cave
Hi Vocalek,
Thank you for the response. It's been awhile since I last tried to quit but I do remember feeling very ill. Antsy and .....y as well of course. As far as which model to get, I keep going back and forth. Like I said, I think my head is going to explode. It's amazing how complicated it actually is compared to what I thought it would be when I first decided to try vaping. Thanks again for the insight on which strength to try for the juice.

TWISTED VICTOR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
The edge of Mayhem
Just reading through this thread and couldn't resist a comment on the subject matter. Let's think about the bright side of nicotine addiction as compared to, say, alcohol addiction. I'm not educated in either of these fields, but I am a nicoholic and recovering alcoholic, so I feel I still have an inside track. As an active alcoholic, when I've had enough to drink my brain screams "I need more". To that end I'll awake feeling like a train wreck and wearing some strange womans lacey undershirt. When I've had enough nicotine I'll feel a little nausiated, maybe a hiccup or two and stop. Without taking away from the seriousness of nic poisoning, we should remember that with proper handling the danger is eliminated. As I stated in another thread on this subject, we live in an alarmist society. Some people think if you own a gun you'll shoot yourself or someone else and there's no such thing as educated proper use. Nicotine will harm or kill you if you bathe in or drink it, not if you spill some on yourself, though it should be rinsed off. And as far as smoking or vaping to death? I have no doubt it's possible, but a person would have to be determined. In the case of alcohol poisoning, a person can build up a tolerance to its effects and reach the point lethal toxic levels without feeling intoxicated. On the other hand, as slight toxic levels of nicotine enter the blood the brain says "hey, this is no good", and a person starts feeling ill. If one was to continue ingesting nicotine they would become violently ill before the lethal dose could be taken. This would be true to vaping and cigarettes with exception. That being with cigarettes you also ingest many other chemicals that are toxic, deprive the brain of oxygen and increase heartrate to warp speed. In my opinion the most important care in the handling and use of liquid nic is around children and pets. I DON'T call my vaping liquid "juice" around my kids or comment about its candy flavors, and the dog thinks she's a goat and will eat or drink anything. I assume my partial 30ml bottle of 36mg liquid would kill them just like if I left a loaded shotgun in the playroom. Common sense. We all handle potentially deadly stuff on a regular basis...bleach, weed killer, childrens grape flavored painkiller, we just use some common sense when we partake and use appropriate caution. Vape and enjoy, your body will tell you if it's too much or too strong before any damage is done. Remember, it only takes a little common sense to keep from waking up with some strange womans lacey undershirt on.

Uh, Miss Underall, forgive me if I've offended you. I was relating a true story out of practicality and unless you used to be Miss Undershirt from Ft. Wayne, IN circa 1983, my reference is purely coinsidental.

whistlrr

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2009
Michigan's Knobbywristbone
Let's think about the bright side of nicotine addiction as compared to, say, alcohol addiction.

Aight I just can't resist
YouTube - Monty Python - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

and Ft Wayne IN rocks. (Indiana's ability to rock is right up there with Michigan's imo and Indiana, especially northern parts of it continue to have my loyalty too). I lived in Ft Wayne before/during and a bit post-1983 (no, I wasn't Mrs Undershirt or whatever either lol)

Give a drive down areas like Mad Anthony St or Lake Avenue (or was it Lakeview St?) for me and if you see anything good or interesting there just.. smile at it for me or something because that's around about right where I was.

(sorry I couldn't really read but the beginning and end of your post, the large block of text without breaks was just too much for my visually impaired eyes to quite digest)

Hinterscher

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
Southern Indiana, USA
What Twisted Victor said was what I always believed before I had my pants scared off of me by this entire thread. It has been my understanding (and what my doc told me) that you will start to feel sick long before any actual mortal harm would take place. I believe his words were something to the effect of "having to be very determined to od on nicotine from smoking, snus, and vaping" all 3 of which I was using at the time. Someone please correct me, I'm sure they will:D, if I'm wrong.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
and Ft Wayne IN rocks. (Indiana's ability to rock is right up there with Michigan's imo and Indiana, especially northern parts of it continue to have my loyalty too). I lived in Ft Wayne before/during and a bit post-1983 (no, I wasn't Mrs Undershirt or whatever either lol)

OMG! Memory flash! I went to college in Athens, OH. Usually, the only radio station we could pick up was the school radio station WOUB, that went off the air at 6 p.m. But if it was cloudy, we could pick up "W-O-W-O, whoa whoa in Fort Wayne".

So yes, if you were "Way down in Athens County" (song by Jonathan Edwards, who also attended Ohio U), Ft. Wayne was the only thing that rocked.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
What Twisted Victor said was what I always believed before I had my pants scared off of me by this entire thread. It has been my understanding (and what my doc told me) that you will start to feel sick long before any actual mortal harm would take place. I believe his words were something to the effect of "having to be very determined to od on nicotine from smoking, snus, and vaping" all 3 of which I was using at the time. Someone please correct me, I'm sure they will:D, if I'm wrong.

This is correct. Another issue that did not seem to come up in this thread, probably because it was started long before the tests were made, is that even if you are vaping 3 mL of 36 mg nic juice a day, you are still taking in about 1/10 the amount of nic as smoking a pack of full-strength analogs. This was tested clinically, and posted elsewhere here (can't remember where just now, but it WAS measured). These are blood tests on nicotine and its common metabolites. Fact: the ecig is not a very efficient nic delivery system.

However, there IS a risk of topical nicotine toxicity with high-nic juices. Get a squirt into your mouth of high-nic juice and you will feel it! It burns like pepper, gives you hic-ups (I call them nic-ups) and parts of your mouth after a minute or so can go numb. You may feel queezy. It still isn't lethally dangerous, just wash your mouth out with water.

Yes, PURE nicotine on your skin can make you very sick or kill you. But you are not dealing at all with pure pharm-grade nic, unless you are a juice producer, where there is a real danger. OTOH, spill a whole bottle of 36 mg juice on your inner thigh or underside of forearm (both thinner skin) and you could be in serious trouble.

Of course, get inspired at a wild party to do shots of an entire bottle of vodka and guess what, you are probably dead. Even half a bottle binged all at once will likely put you into the ER.

Patches will make you very sick or kill you from heart attack if you forget you have it on and smoke analogs, and they are OTC! I've known two people that this happened to, and I don't even know many that use the patch. How f-ed up is that?? have an analog during a vape break and you will not likely even get sick. And chances are you will not even smoke the analog anyway when vaping.

The Patch to me is the gov't/BP saying ok nasty smoker, you want nicotine, HERE'S YOUR FRIGGING NICOTINE!! HAVE FUN, ......!!! The patch is also a seriously flawed delivery device. It gives you lots of nicotine all the time, does not stop, wake or sleep, you are going to be on the ceiling with nicotine. Absolutely zero like the rhythm of smoking, and who wakes up every 10 minutes at night to have a smoke??

Yet another example of an approved system designed and distributed by non-smokers that have no clue at all.

Another thing I wanted to mention is that two smokers both smoking a pack of Mar Reds a day may have differnt smoking habits and ingest different amounts of nic. One may inhale deep and hold the breath before exhaling, the other may inhale shallow and exhale right away. The nic is largely adhered to the smoke particles, so this is going to make a big difference in serum nic levels. The majority of nic when vaped is absorbed into the mouth and throat, not the lungs, so these two methods in terms of vaping would probably result in more similar serum nic levels, both of which will be far less than from analogs, anyway.

my $0.02.

daemonjax

Jan 19, 2010
NJ
Welcome to the forum Bellinghamster.

I'm glad you found the thread useful. Sorry I can't give you any information on absorption through skin, that's something I know nothing about yet. Someone else might have an idea. It's very common to get eliquid on skin and rashes can occur.

Some more figures for this thread:

a drop is around 0.05ml
there are approximately 15 - 20 drops in a ml
it takes me five minutes to vape two drops

Vaping two drops of 36mg juice in five minutes is around the equivalent nic intake as a cigarette per minute.

I'd like to add as well that different parts of your body absorb chemicals at different rates. For example, your fingers and hands absorb chemicals through the skin much slower than, say, your scalp.

Happy Domino38

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
Toronto Canada
www.happyvaper.com
This is correct. Another issue that did not seem to come up in this thread, probably because it was started long before the tests were made, is that even if you are vaping 3 mL of 36 mg nic juice a day, you are still taking in about 1/10 the amount of nic as smoking a pack of full-strength analogs. This was tested clinically, and posted elsewhere here (can't remember where just now, but it WAS measured). These are blood tests on nicotine and its common metabolites. Fact: the ecig is not a very efficient nic delivery system.]

God, I hope that's true, I was scaring myself to DEATH here, I've been KNOCKING this stuff back! I must go through a good 5ml a DAY of 24mg RY4!!

That's what I originally thought, that amount would be equal to approx. 1 pack of regular strength analogs...I HAVE ordered some 18mg for my next order though and not because of this thread.

Where I have NO desire to quit smoking, (I rather 'stumbled' across Ecigs and am a self-admitted lover of smoking), I was thinking that it's a lot healthier for me to be on ecigs. Cancer isn't really the way I want to go out and I have a 6 year old I'd like to see grow up. But, STILL couldn't find the DESIRE to quit smoking. And, we all know the base truth, you don't WANT to quit, you WON'T.

E-cigs are GREAT for me. Or...so I thought. But, am I doing myself more harm than good?

I haven't had any nic OD symptoms, but DO find I'm tired all the time. If I read one of the other posts in here correctly, that means I'm NOT getting as much nic as I SHOULD be?

Confused!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread