Side Effects from quitting the Analogs... When is it going to happen? What have you experienced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aubergine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
MD
I had none, either, except initial dehydration and once dizziness and nausea from too much nic when I was settling on the right level (same thing had happened with patches). I did go thru a period when I couldn't taste ecigs as much as I wanted to - it passed pretty quickly. I just slid right over first day with no withdrawal whatsoever, after over 3o years, and that's actually not at all uncommon.
Congratulations! Relax and have fun, it just keeps getting better. :) :)

violetdream

Dec 22, 2012
Michigan
Everyone is so different...I experienced BAD depression day before yesterday. I just started vaping Monday. I'm also experiencing insomnia (worse than my normal insomnia, lol) and had cold like symptoms.

Thank the Lord for detox baths. The worse seems to be over for now. But, like I said, everyone is so different, so maybe you won't have bad withdrawals. Good luck!

Koman

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2010
lv
I've been getting mouth sores for the last two weeks (I'm currently a little over six weeks without an analog) and hoping they go away soon! I've changed my toothpaste to one without SLS and I'm taking a B complex and iron supplement in hopes that they'll help. I don't tolerate pain very well.

Yeah, that happens to some. Had the issue for one week.

MMarie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Minneapolis
I think that either the worst of it has run its course, or something I'm doing is helping. I had two appear yesterday, but this morning the inflammation is already gone and there's no pain. My immune system was already out of whack when I quit smoking (I have psoriasis) so I'm sure it's working overtime trying to get the rest of these toxins out.

From the medical studies I've read, up to 40% of long-time smokers who quit get mouth ulcers sometime in the first month and the majority of them clear up by the end of the second.

MMarie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Minneapolis
I think that either the worst of it has run its course, or something I'm doing is helping. I had two appear yesterday, but this morning the inflammation is already gone and there's no pain. My immune system was already out of whack when I quit smoking (I have psoriasis) so I'm sure it's working overtime trying to get the rest of these toxins out.

From the medical studies I've read, up to 40% of long-time smokers who quit get mouth ulcers sometime in the first month and the majority of them clear up by the end of the second.

Bobee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2013
Tennessee
Well I'm only mountaining the first 72hrs at the moment. Haven't smoked a cig since Saturday morning around 11. Been vaping for a few months, but something clicked this weekend and I'm being pretty serious about quitting now. Am upgrading into a quality piece on Thursday very excited. For me over the short span of time since sat. I've gotten some sort of cold. Not sure if it's due to not smoking, or just going around. Outside of that though, it's been great so far. No cravings I couldn't handle, hardly even those. No stinky clothes or breath. Hoping this is the true start of my own journey! Have been a smoker for 11 years.

Tiffani

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2012
Arkansas
I'm on my second round of mouth sores, but they went away fairly quickly last time. The acne also seems to come and go, but I know it will go away eventually. I'm kind of surprised that I haven't coughed up anything nasty since I've been vaping for a month and a half now, but I can't say that I was really looking forward to it.

I had mouth sores for a few days and a month into it I started get shortness of breath due to lungs cleaning out. Still struggle with shortness of breath but know it is a common occurance.

In-te-rest-ing. I currently have a nasty canker sore under my tongue which is driving me nuts. Although five months into my quit, I wonder if it's related?

No matter, if it doesn't go away or shows signs of getting worse, I'm heading for the doctor...

MMarie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Minneapolis
In-te-rest-ing. I currently have a nasty canker sore under my tongue which is driving me nuts. Although five months into my quit, I wonder if it's related?

No matter, if it doesn't go away or shows signs of getting worse, I'm heading for the doctor...

Apparently, there's something other than nicotine in those analogs that's been shown to prevent canker sores. It's very rare for smokers to get mouth ulcers and it's one of the main hurdles to quitting for many. There are a number of things you can do to help prevent them, including beefing up B12, folic acid, iron and sometimes vitamin C (though not in OJ; that can make it worse). There's also a chemical (SLS) in 99% of the toothpastes that can exacerbate them, so if you're not getting any relief, that's where I'd start.

Apparently, there's something other than nicotine in those analogs that's been shown to prevent canker sores. It's very rare for smokers to get mouth ulcers and it's one of the main hurdles to quitting for many. There are a number of things you can do to help prevent them, including beefing up B12, folic acid, iron and sometimes vitamin C (though not in OJ; that can make it worse). There's also a chemical (SLS) in 99% of the toothpastes that can exacerbate them, so if you're not getting any relief, that's where I'd start.

THANK YOU! I've just dropped an extra multi-vitamin (not something I'd do regularly, but today I'll make an exception) and I'll pick up B12, folic, and iron tomorrow. Vitamin C I have, and I do like cran-apple and cran-pomegranate juice anyway.

I just checked my toothpaste and it doesn't use sodium laureth (or lauryl-ether or lauryl) sulfate. Hum, it does use propylene glycol, though...d'ya think that might kill me? :)

For now I'm using Chloraseptic as that's what I have on-hand. I'm considering Anbusol, or whatever that brand name is, I've never bought it before.

MMarie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Minneapolis
I think the active ingredient in the Anbesol and Chlorsceptic is Benzecaine or something like that. It will sting for about 5-10 seconds and then numbs the sore, but in my experience, it doesn't help heal it any faster... just helps you eat. ;) Other things you can do is mix 50:50 water and hydrogen peroxide and swish it around in your mouth for at least a minute to cleanse the sores. There are also mouth washes with hydrogen peroxide as the active ingredient that pretty much do the same thing.

Other things that can help with pain are: 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in 4 oz of warm water and using that as a mouth rinse, using a damp teabag compress (the tannins help reduce inflammation) or try L-Lysine supplements or probiotics (Acidophilus)... if you go with the acidophilus, be sure to refrigerate it. It's the live cultures in yogurt, which is also good for canker sores.

Another thing you can use to numb the sore is to make a mouthwash of 50:50 milk of magnesia and benadryl... just be certain you don't swallow it because it can anesthetize your windpipe and you won't be able to close your windpipe when you swallow.

Update: I went to my doctor as it's apparently time for my yearly late winter sinus infection (this year's is extremely mild, but somewhat annoying).

She prescribed something called "Magic Mouthwash" as a more powerful alternative to numb the area. A few drops under the tongue and let it sit, then feel the complete lack of pain down there. :)

horkus1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2013
Atlanta, GA
So far (10 days) I am noticing a few things - some that I can't decide if they are good or bad.

My sense of smell is definitely back. So much so that I can barely stand my own laundry detergent. I have not attempted to use perfume yet but I am guessing that is off the table for me. Had trouble with it in my youth - gave me headaches - and I think walking through the perfume department in a store would cause me to throw up right now.

My taste buds are getting "better" every day but this has destroyed spicy food for me. :(

My face is breaking out. Ugh. I never, ever had acne before and I expected that with quitting I would develop a new healthy glow. Not so much. More like a bunch of volcanoes. Pfft.

I am breathing a lot better and I feel cleaner overall. I did feel really tired and crappy the first 5 days though. Not sick really but just fatigue. That has passed now and energy is back.

JoJoVa

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2013
Washington, DC
I've been off analogs for a month and have been vaping for 5 weeks. I have tried to keep track of every side effect and have been googling a lot about it. Here's what I have noticed:

Pros: better quality of sleep- I wake up feeling rested and satisfied (rarely happened during my smoking years), keen sense of smell (def both good and bad), no more watery eyes (which was because my eyes were over dried)

Cons: felt dehydrated, i immediately had extreme dry skin, especially around my eyes and around my mouth, i also had annoying acne (phasing out now), uncomfortable belly bloating, dehydrated.

The cons can be treated or will subside. But the pros plus not reeking like smoke, no longer damaging my lungs, and no longer letting my life revolve around that habit makes me appreciate the ecig so much.

roundrock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2013
Central Texas, USA
I've been getting mouth sores for the last two weeks (I'm currently a little over six weeks without an analog) and hoping they go away soon! I've changed my toothpaste to one without SLS and I'm taking a B complex and iron supplement in hopes that they'll help. I don't tolerate pain very well.

I suffered from mouth ulcers most of my adult life. My mother experienced them as well. A few years ago, I read that SLS (foaming agent in almost all toothpaste) could be creating or at least exasperating the ulcers. I changed toothpaste (Sensodyne) and I have yet to experience another occurrence.

That is until last week, 2 weeks into my tobacco free life. Fortunately, the one ulcer lasted only a day.

I'll never use another toothpaste with SLS. Mouth ulcers are a bi#ch.

Koman

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2010
lv
I think the active ingredient in the Anbesol and Chlorsceptic is Benzecaine or something like that. It will sting for about 5-10 seconds and then numbs the sore, but in my experience, it doesn't help heal it any faster... just helps you eat. ;) Other things you can do is mix 50:50 water and hydrogen peroxide and swish it around in your mouth for at least a minute to cleanse the sores. There are also mouth washes with hydrogen peroxide as the active ingredient that pretty much do the same thing.

Other things that can help with pain are: 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in 4 oz of warm water and using that as a mouth rinse, using a damp teabag compress (the tannins help reduce inflammation) or try L-Lysine supplements or probiotics (Acidophilus)... if you go with the acidophilus, be sure to refrigerate it. It's the live cultures in yogurt, which is also good for canker sores.

Another thing you can use to numb the sore is to make a mouthwash of 50:50 milk of magnesia and benadryl... just be certain you don't swallow it because it can anesthetize your windpipe and you won't be able to close your windpipe when you swallow.
Those are some great tips. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread