I'm Now Convinced That Vaping Is Weakening My Immune System

Status
Not open for further replies.

aznnp77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2014
Virginia
I wasn't completely convinced about the safety of e-cigs in the first place, but now I'm pretty sure it's having negative effects on my health.

I'm not in the best physical shape, but health wise I've been pretty resistant to sickness for most of my life. Other than the common cold, or an occasional strep throat (from smoking) in recent years I never get sick. I've rarely seen the doctor, and have never had to take off work due to sickness.

I switched to vaping on June 7th of last year, so it's been about a year. I was able to stay off the stinkies, but to do it I would have to vape at a very high rate. I also found myself more addicted to vaping than I ever was with cigarettes. I mean before I was smoking one every couple of hours, but I didn't smoke at home, so I was only smoking about half a pack a day and closer to a full pack on the weekends. When I switched to e-cigs I was pretty much vaping all day, every day.

Anyways, when I first switched I had the common side effects. I felt like I was getting more acne, and got a canker sore on the inside of my mouth where the vapor used to enter. That went away after a week or two. I posted about it on here originally, and people would just say "oh, it's just your body ridding itself of toxins from smoking."

About 4 months into it, I got my first eye stye. I avoided going to the doctor, and it eventually caused my eye to almost swell shut. It went away after about a week after I was put on antibiotics and drops. A month later, through contamination, I got another stye. Same process and it was gone.

Around that time I also noticed that when I had weekends of heavy vaping out of boredom, I would develop bumps, almost like cold sores on and around my lip area.

So I posted again, and people said oh, you need to clean your drip tips better. So I started doing that pretty much every day. I will admit I think it's gotten a little better, but I do still get acne and occasional bumps around the mouth area.

I actually went to a consultation to get Laser eye surgery done so I wouldn't have to touch my eye as much with contact lenses, but the person refused to do it because of a pimple/cold sore I had from heavy vaping the weekend before. She said I'd have to go on meds for a month, so I said screw it.

About 3 months ago, my cheek started swelling up under my lip and close to my jaw. It started off feeling like a regular pimple, but eventually that side of my face started turning numb. I went to the doctor again, and told me my cheek was infected and put me on antibiotics yet again. After about another week it looked like a regular pimple on my face.

Fast forward to last week and I notice I've got what looks like a pimple on my gums, a little bit under my teeth. It was yellow just like a pimple on your face, but on my lower gum line. I've gargled with mouth wash and gave it time, but it hasn't gone away. At this point, I was pretty tired of going to the urgent care doctor, and just wanted to wait it out, but I can't because......

I developed another stye on my eye last night. That's the 3rd time since November. Going to be my 4th doctor visit since November after not going to one for almost 15 years. The stye isn't huge yet, but I know what one feels like by now and it's definitely swelling up again.

I googled "vaping weakens immune systems" and it looks like studies have actually shown that vaping does actually weaken it. I never had these types of issues when I was a smoker. Articles say that e-cig vapor weakens the body against bacteria, which I feel is causing all these infections all of a sudden.

So yes, I do like breathing better, smelling better, and the vaping is keeping my heart rate elevated, so people constantly have been telling me I'm losing weight even though I don't really exercise that much, but I've come to a vaping crossroads here.

Let this be yet another reason for those vapers that somehow feel entitled to vape inside public places that some of these chemicals are toxic and have side effects. If even 1 person in the world can be affected by second hand vapor, it should be banned from doing inside despite the inconvenience to people.

I'm headed to the doctor yet again today to get some more antibiotics. Don't try to tell me this is a PG/VG allergy again, because allergies don't cause repeated infections to different parts of the body.

Maybe I can keep vaping, but I'm going to have to turn into like a germaphobe or something. I already started trying to wash my hands even more regularly than before. I bought disinfectant wipes for my isticks, remote controls, and keyboard/mouse that I clean from time to time. Dunno if I can do much else.

Thanks for reading. Just wanted to share my experience, and maybe put a stop to these people that are absolutely convinced that vaping is completely safe somehow. I know most of the community isn't ignorant enough to make such statements without long term studies to back it, but I've read some of the threads about people openly vaping in supermarkets, disregarding the health of others, and feeling that they are somehow entitled to do it, that just annoy the crap outta me.

Maybe I'm an isolated case, but there are people like me out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: bman1977

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Sorry you're having such a bad time. It's very odd though, most people say that they've been healthier since they started vaping. For instance many people say the number of colds they get are down dramatically since switching.

Out of curiosity, what style of vaper are you? High power, low nic? Low power high nic? somewhere in between? High pg, or high vg?

CYB3R N1NJ4

Jun 1, 2015
South Africa
Sorry to hear. Was a good read none the less.
I Must be of the fortunate vapers. Every time I have got flu since vaping I hardly even notice that I am ill. Before while being a smoker it would go straight to my chest and sit there for weeks. Vaping was the best health decision I had made.
Here is hoping your situation gets better.

khalidmna

ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2014
Liverpool, UK
I've read those studies you mention. They're not conclusive:

Tom Pruen, chief scientific officer for ECITA, Electronic Cigarette Trade Industry Association, criticised the way the research was conducted.

He said the mice were exposed to a vapour dose intended for humans, not mice.

Dr Penny Woods, chief executive of the British Lung Foundation, said: "While there is still little doubt that e-cigarettes are far less harmful than regular cigarettes, this study in mice is yet another reminder of the lack of conclusive evidence currently available on the long-term health impact of vaping in humans.

You know sometimes smoking can conceal an underlying health problem that only comes to the surface once you've quit.

k702

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
lost wages, sin city, NV
Have you considered the possibility that youre just getting sick?

Wild idea i know.. But it does happen.

A lot of these "vaping is making me sick" threads strike me as vaping being an easy fallback for those that have felt sick after quitting ciggs or starting vaping..

Most of the time if something on the same level as vaping was going to make you sick it would happen really fast.. Within a day or two of presenting it to your body.. Chances of it waiting months between attacking you in different ways many times are...

Hope you feel better and all but the word ban kinda dampens my sympathy

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I've read those studies you mention. They're not conclusive:

Tom Pruen, chief scientific officer for ECITA, Electronic Cigarette Trade Industry Association, criticised the way the research was conducted.

Dr Penny Woods, chief executive of the British Lung Foundation, said: "While there is still little doubt that e-cigarettes are far less harmful than regular cigarettes, this study in mice is yet another reminder of the lack of conclusive evidence currently available on the long-term health impact of vaping in humans.

You know sometimes smoking can conceal an underlying health problem that only comes to the surface once you've quit.

Excellent points, especially the last.

What do the doctors you've seen think about the series of ailments you've had? I know it's hard to get a doctor to think about anything other than what is currently happening, but you've definitely got some ongoing stuff to worry about.

Fuzzy Bruce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2014
Fort Liquordale, Fl.
I am convinced that vaping is one of the best lifestyle changes I have made.

Only been a year so this is a short term self study. I have not been sick at all in the last twelve months compared to two or more flu/cold symptoms prior to the start of vaping. I have not woke up every morning hacking what seemed like a half of a lung. So, vaping works, for me.

I am still a cantankerous old Derelict so,,, no personality change!

Scottitude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
Metro Detroit
scottitude.net
Sorry to hear about your health problems.

I too searched "vaping weakens immune systems" and much of the results links referenced the same study in which mice were exposed to vapor and then their immune systems tested.

Remember, most of these studies are performed by "researchers" that are often aggressively opposed to vaping and e-cigarettes and the studies are designed to yield a predetermined set of results. Once one gets past the headline, the facts are a little different.

Take the following quote for example (emphasis mine)

"Tom Pruen, chief scientific officer for ECITA, Electronic Cigarette Trade Industry Association, criticised the way the research was conducted.

And the cartomisers in the e-cigarettes were not changed often enough in the study, which would expose the mice to "significant amounts of thermal degradation products".

He added: "In reality, this research indicates that for people using the products as intended, e-cigarettes really do offer significant harm reduction compared with smoking, and appear to have a remarkably low toxic effect."

Dr Penny Woods, chief executive of the British Lung Foundation, said: "While there is still little doubt that e-cigarettes are far less harmful than regular cigarettes, this study in mice is yet another reminder of the lack of conclusive evidence currently available on the long-term health impact of vaping in humans."

(source:http://www.bbc.com/news/health-31146418)
A different article included the following statement:

"The researchers suggest that the culprit may be related to an additive in e-cig liquid called "propylene glycol," which is also found in fog machines and seems to cause similar lung problems in people who work with them. This study, however, didn't investigate that link."

(source: http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/5/7988047/ecig-vapor-damages-immune-system-mice)
The only points this study actually proves are:
  1. It was flawed from the outset.
  2. Exposing small animals to human-sized doses of a substance has an adverse effect on said small animals.
  3. There is a "lack of conclusive evidence" regarding long-term health impact of e-cigarettes.
  4. People who experience negative reactions may have a simple allergy to propylene glycol (PG)

Again, I'm sorry to hear about the OP's health problems but until or unless there is objective, unbiased research that presents substantial evidence that vaping in and of itself, and not an ingredient, consistently causes significant harm, I ain't buyin' the notion that the OP's maladies are because of vaping in general.

I believe if people with this type of negative experience were to get a full battery of allergy tests they would find that PG, or perhaps a flavor concentrate or two, disagrees with their system.

My health, lung capacity, and immune system improved drastically after I vaped for several months. I had major sinus issues my entire adult life and came down with a miserable flu bug twice a year as the seasons changed. I have not had any illness or breathing difficulties in almost five years now.

Just like anything and everything else humans consume, some people are fine and others have an adverse reaction.

It's a matter of common sense; people who are allergic to peanuts shouldn't eat peanuts, and if they do, they shouldn't blame the peanut packager.

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
Never underestimate the power of the mind.

If you go into a situation with a mindset of "I wasn't completely convinced about the safety of e-cigs in the first place" then you are setting yourself up for a bad experience and your brain will help you achieve that.
There is no end of examples (google it) of how different people experience and react to the same stimuli, often their mindset is what dictates the outcome.
Placebos are common place in the medical world for this very reason.

On the other hand, as others have mentioned, you could have an allergy to one of the components of the e-juice that you are vaping. Maybe you should try 100%PG or 100%VG liquids to enable you to test, along with trying unflavoured juice, as the flavourings may be the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread