Airport Security .... The Facts (Or atleast what worked)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Hello Everyone !!!!

Just got back from our all of 1 full day trip, and have some interesting news ....

This is the list of equipment I took with me ... ALL carry on.
1. 5-6 Pilot batteries
2. 901 Passthrough and Pen Passthrough
3. APC Battery back, and Manual USB
4. 5-6 atomizers (assorted)
5. 3-4 (10ml) bottles of eliquid
6. 1 (30ml) bottle of eliquid
7. Several different chargers and cords.

We essentially packed everything separately. Cords/Chargers/USB's went in the laptop bag, Atomizers went in Joanna's Purse, and Batteries (even a case) when on me personally.

LAX International Airport ... One of the *hardest* to get through security checkpoints. Not a SINGLE hickup. Didn't look at any of the equipment twice, and moved right on through. Did some demo's for the flight attendants (that all seem to be from the south ... many more smokers in the South than LA) All were very fascinated. About 20 minutes or so before landing, decided I needed another Potty break ... This time, I decided to test the Smoke Detector in the bathroom ... Let me just say this .... DO NOT BLOW VAPOR DIRECTLY ON THE SMOKE DETECTOR! If you need to vape in a plane, exhale in to the toilet. The fire alarm in the ENTIRE AIRPLANE went off. We are talking the loudest, scariest, alarm I HAVE EVER HEARD IN MY LIFE!!!! Ran out of that bathroom and sat back down. Luckily, it shut off after about 10 seconds .... sigh ...

.... 1 Day Trip Interval ....

Airport (Undisclosed) at this time, on the way back! Packed everything separately again, except this time, I had even MORE equipment. (I shipped a box with equipment ahead of me just in case equipment got confiscated) Even got some interesting (Cocoa/Tobacco) Flavoring in large 30ml bottles from my friends mother who was kind enough to let us try :) This time through security ... They must have sat starring at the bags for 10 minutes. Asking questions like, "My, you sure do have a lot of cables, etc... in your bag" "What's in these bottles" etc... Went ring around the posey a few times (forgot to take off belt, forgot my boarding pass on the conveyor, etc....) When all was said and done, eliquids/tobacco flavoring/equipment etc... made it through fine, but they confiscated my toothpaste and hair gel!!!! :mad:

Now, this is where I learned the facts of what can and can't be taken on board. Our trip home, there was a flight attendant showing another passenger a Smoke51 disposable ecig!!! 8-o I couldn't believe it! I met a totally random person that new what esmoking was .... Anyways, Joanna looked at me and I just decided to stay quiet. About an hour in to the trip, I pulled out my liquid and started half dripping the Pilot I had on me. The same guy (flight attendent) that was showing another passenger his, immediately took interest in it. Never heard of eliquid or any other ecig for that matter, and we had a nice long discussion. He told me, batteries, atomizers, cartridges, etc... are all fine and legal to take on board. Southwest had passed a memo that electronic cigarette smoking was NOT allowed, however, no equipment could be confiscated because it doesn't break any federal regulations.

He was still quite new at the entire thing, but said he had taken it through atleast 20-30 different airport's, security checkpoints, etc... and even showed some, and never had an issue!

So, there you have it ... Whenever you travel, never hesitate to bring your equipment along with you. If you feel more comfortable breaking it apart and transporting (like I did) you should still not have any issues. I would suggest no large bottles of eliquid (30ml or less) and NEVER blow in to an Airplane Smoke Detector because it DOES set it off!

Back to work for me ... just thought I would share my fun and interesting experience with esmoking and flying!

-CaSH

rsngfrce

ECF Veteran
About 20 minutes or so before landing, decided I needed another Potty break ... This time, I decided to test the Smoke Detector in the bathroom ... Let me just say this .... DO NOT BLOW VAPOR DIRECTLY ON THE SMOKE DETECTOR! If you need to vape in a plane, exhale in to the toilet. The fire alarm in the ENTIRE AIRPLANE went off. We are talking the loudest, scariest, alarm I HAVE EVER HEARD IN MY LIFE!!!! Ran out of that bathroom and sat back down. Luckily, it shut off after about 10 seconds .... sigh ...

Wow, that's taking one for the team! :D

smokindeuce

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2008
UK
www.smokejuice.co.uk
Good work Cash - thanks for sharing! Good news all round for frequent flyers...

@ Doostin- you're slightly off topic here and if I'm reading you correctly, this question has been asked before and was concluded as not being particularly relevant in an ecig forum. Use the search option - I'm pretty sure there are some old threads on this knocking about which may help you. :)

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada
I guess I'm lucky, my cigar didn't set the bathroom detector off, flying from Canada to Mexico and back :) I thought I was safe, that would have been a SHOCK.

Dang Cash, I'm surprised you didn't squirt a bit in your pants when that alarm went off !

I only puffed there a 3 or 4 times though. Then I got too lazy to walk to the bathroom, and figured out that holding it in for a 10 count made all visible vapor disappear, and it was really easy to "palm" it so nobody could see me puffing on it. So then I just puffed at my seat (often).

Kinda on this subject, there is a post somewhere here linking to an flight personnel forum talking about e-cigs. I read that, and a few other posts and was surprised to hear that some pilots smoke e-cigs, and attendants as well (where you can't see them). There IS policy on all the american airlines now, saying you can't smoke an e-cig on a plane. But they also said go ahead and do it *IF YOU CAN BE DISCREET* since nobody would notice anyway, no harm, no foul.

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Wow, that's taking one for the team! :D

No problemo .... :)

Wow..given the current atmosphere you still had the balls to blow on the smoke detector. Impressive.

Well, I did make friends with the Flight Attendants ... so luckily, that helped. I just got some strange looks exciting the bathroom real quick !!! haha

Dang Cash, I'm surprised you didn't squirt a bit in your pants when that alarm went off !

I never said I DIDN'T !!!! HAHAHA :D

Thank you so much!! I am flying to Nashville tomorrow and was a little nervous. Even though this is my first week with my new Pilot, I can't live without it. :)

If you have a Pilot and Case, put the batteries and atomizer in there. Simply put in a bucket with the rest of your little things (wallet/purse/change/etc...) and it normally goes through nice and quick ...

P.S. -- Nashville Airport is Nice! ;) A little chilly I may add!

BillZilla

Sep 5, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I've taken both penstyles and minis through New York LaGuardia as well as Dayton International several times without even a second look, with e-cigs and liquid on my person, in my carry-on and in my checked luggage without a second glance. I believe TSA must have been briefed on them.

I mean, it's New York. If anyone's got a reason to have tight security it's us.

BillZilla

Sep 5, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
To clarify, by "on my person" I mean "put in the keys and change bucket."

Also smoking on the plane has been no issue. I do try to hold it in to minimize the mist, but even if I didn't- people are conditioned to only see what they're expecting. Even if they think they see you exhale a white cloud out of the corner of their eye, by the time they look, it's dissipated and doesn't smell (and the flavors that do certainly don't smell of smoke).

I have only been directly questioned by authorities once, I was smoking a white mini on a nonsmoking train platform directly in front of cops, who naturally asked what I thought I was doing. I briefly explained it to them (literally something to the effect of "it's a nicotine vaporizer, I've used it to quit smoking."), they asked no follow up questions, congratulated me on quitting and proceeded on their way.

Again, I live in New York.

Momof3

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
Midwest, USA
I've used the "It's a nicotine inhaler to help quit smoking." several times when I've been approached by someone who didn't look like they'd be receptive and I didn't feel like explaining. Then I get a smile with a "Good for you!" and off they go. :p

Airport security wasn't a problem for me either and TSA's site says lithium batteries are required to be on your person or in your carryon anyway. The bans onboard only pertain to smoking them at the moment, not carrying them onboard. Any bans last I knew were the particular airlines rule, not the TSA.

The bans I believe have everything to do with not wanting the hassle of analog smokers seeing you and lighting up and militant non-smokers having hissy fits because of what they think you are doing, not because of the e-cigs themselves. Rather than ban their use, the airlines should and probably will at some point on long flights, start selling disposible e-cig kits onboard. Think of what they could charge for those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread