Airport Security .... The Facts (Or atleast what worked)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinepig

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2009
I've been through Sacramento and LAX with no problems. I got a little stink eye from the customs folks coming back out of Fiji this last October after I had cleared the original security checkpoint, after explaining what it was ( and blowing a huge poof of smoke ) the lady made me take it apart and show all the bits and put it back together, she was still giving me stink eye when she let me through. I tend to be very VERY nice to folks that act like her ( complete power drunk jackass ) so that probably got me the pass.

I smoked the thing on the flight both ways in my seat, a quick glance to see if anybody is staring, take a hit and blow it down the shirt. The owner of the dive shop we were with is a smoker and took a few hits too, a 12 hour plane ride could suck badly without my 36mg redbull.

hueysds

ECF Veteran
haha ... +1

My heart races and I must look like I am smuggling drugs or something! I get so nervous! LOL

Same here!

You know this could all be solved if I had my PureSmoker 808 laser atty attached when going through security. Then if there were any issues I'd just be like "that's my laser pointer, see..." and push my lil mech switch to produce a laser dot on the ground... ;-)

Love this post Steve!

For any that are wondering... All ecig paraphanalia to date can not be confiscated by TSA, with the exception of liquids in bottles bigger than 3oz. You may be questioned, but even thats a far shot. I bring all my equipment with me through airport security checkpoints all over the world, and while security in the US is tight, you havent seen nothing until you have gone through Kuwait International Airport, or Ben Gurion International Airport in Tel Aviv, Israel. Both airports I have gotten through no problem as both a uniformed crew member, and as a passenger!

As far as smoking on board... Most of us crew dont mind at all, its up to each airlines company policy if its approved or not. My official airlines answer is "no" however like I tell my passengers "Just dont be blowin smoke rings... If I dont see it, well...." *Grin*

Smoking in the lavs will work, but as Steve stated DONT BLOW ANYWHERE NEAR THE DETECTOR!!! Its a photo sensitive sensor that detects light density and heat. There is a small beam in the detector that emits an "Invisible infrared like beam" This "Light" is basically sent back to the sensor... any intereference, and it will go off. I have had passengers set it off spraying hairspray, body spray, and I did it with lysol once. All it does is create a royal PIA and a crap ton of paperwork for us... So please guys, just blow your vapor to the floor. ;-)

As a side note, you may not be as lucky as Steve... On my companies aircraft, if the smoke detector goes off in the lav, not only is it deafening, but it does not go off until a cabin crew member shuts it off. It also sends an alert to the flightdeck and makes a chiming sound in the cabin nonstop until reset. Gives me a headache just thinking about it! :)

A bit OT here, but Steve just got my blueberry juice..... DAMNNNNNNNNNN! Great stuff! And here I thought the watermelon was the bomb. :p

Safe Travels!
RIAFlight25

Last edited:

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
I got pulled aside because of my V1. I explained it to the TSA guy and he said thats really cool just dont smoke it on the plane. The thing really does look like a detonator. I now carry snus with me just in case.

Hey Pro! As far as I know its not any of TSA's business what you smoke on a plane. Up to the airlines to enforce it. As RIA said not illegal for you to carry a E-cig on board, done it many times, of course vaped many time also.

dgriego

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2009
New Mexico
This might be a little off topic but it sort of fits with the title. A friend of mine sent me a email that had the solution to airport security problems.

Instead of metal detectors and naked scanners and confiscating peoples shampoos we should make a small room, enclosed in concrete and each person whould have to walk into this room with their luggage, the doors will then close and a device will trigger that will set off any explosives. If you have none then nothing happens you walk out and board your flight. If you have explosives they send a clean up crew to get rid of yur remains.
This would save time since almost noone has explosives and it would prevent wars as the terrorists would die and we would not have to try and go kill them.

I thought it was brillant.

MaxUT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
Ogden, UT, US
I didn't want to risk my Prodigy on my last trip to Michigan so I took an old 510 and some 48mg PG. Had a 7-hr delay at O'Hare (!!!) because of weather. I vaped steady sitting there at the crowded gate and no one batted an eye.

On the flight back to SLC I stealth-vaped while sitting in my aisle seat in the middle of the plane and again, no one seemed to notice.

Thank God, no more nasty nicorette!

slybootz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2009
Chicago
www.jimmyk.rocks
Love this post Steve!

For any that are wondering... All ecig paraphanalia to date can not be confiscated by TSA, with the exception of liquids in bottles bigger than 3oz. You may be questioned, but even thats a far shot. I bring all my equipment with me through airport security checkpoints all over the world, and while security in the US is tight, you havent seen nothing until you have gone through Kuwait International Airport, or Ben Gurion International Airport in Tel Aviv, Israel. Both airports I have gotten through no problem as both a uniformed crew member, and as a passenger!

As far as smoking on board... Most of us crew dont mind at all, its up to each airlines company policy if its approved or not. My official airlines answer is "no" however like I tell my passengers "Just dont be blowin smoke rings... If I dont see it, well...." *Grin*

Smoking in the lavs will work, but as Steve stated DONT BLOW ANYWHERE NEAR THE DETECTOR!!! Its a photo sensitive sensor that detects light density and heat. There is a small beam in the detector that emits an "Invisible infrared like beam" This "Light" is basically sent back to the sensor... any intereference, and it will go off. I have had passengers set it off spraying hairspray, body spray, and I did it with lysol once. All it does is create a royal PIA and a crap ton of paperwork for us... So please guys, just blow your vapor to the floor. ;-)

As a side note, you may not be as lucky as Steve... On my companies aircraft, if the smoke detector goes off in the lav, not only is it deafening, but it does not go off until a cabin crew member shuts it off. It also sends an alert to the flightdeck and makes a chiming sound in the cabin nonstop until reset. Gives me a headache just thinking about it! :)

A bit OT here, but Steve just got my blueberry juice..... DAMNNNNNNNNNN! Great stuff! And here I thought the watermelon was the bomb. :p

Safe Travels!
RIAFlight25

Great info RIA! And great story Steve, LOL!

I'm traveling soon:
from Chicago's O'Hare to Hartford, CT's Bradley International

and

from O'Hare to Laguardia Airport in NY.

Planning on having my 401 with me for the flight, so I'm glad I shouldn't have to worry about security. I plan on bringing my 401 and a few 5ml bottles of juice in my laptop bag as a carry-on, with my larger juice bottles and other PVs in my checked baggage. Just need to remember a ziploc bag for my carry-on bottles. Just ordered my Prodigy V2, and I'm not sure if it'll arrive in time for my travels in a bit over week, but if not, I'm always fine with my 401 PS pilot. :D

outz

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2009
Greenville, SC
i took my protege on an internation trip back in dec/jan...

i just broke it down like steve was talking about.. stealth vaped. got through numerous security checkpoints in charlotte nc, japan/narita and phil/manila. not a single word from anyone. i was definitely relieved... but didn't have the balls to just pull it out and vape out in the open.

tparganos

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2009
Hello Everyone !!!!

Just got back from our all of 1 full day trip, and have some interesting news ....

This is the list of equipment I took with me ... ALL carry on.
1. 5-6 Pilot Batteries
2. 901 Passthrough and Pen Passthrough
3. APC Battery back, and Manual USB
4. 5-6 atomizers (assorted)
5. 3-4 (10ml) bottles of Eliquid
6. 1 (30ml) bottle of Eliquid
7. Several different chargers and cords.

We essentially packed everything separately. Cords/Chargers/USB's went in the laptop bag, Atomizers went in Joanna's Purse, and Batteries (even a case) when on me personally.

LAX International Airport ... One of the *hardest* to get through security checkpoints. Not a SINGLE hickup. Didn't look at any of the equipment twice, and moved right on through. Did some demo's for the flight attendants (that all seem to be from the south ... many more smokers in the South than LA) All were very fascinated. About 20 minutes or so before landing, decided I needed another Potty break ... This time, I decided to test the Smoke Detector in the bathroom ... Let me just say this .... DO NOT BLOW VAPOR DIRECTLY ON THE SMOKE DETECTOR! If you need to vape in a plane, exhale in to the toilet. The fire alarm in the ENTIRE AIRPLANE went off. We are talking the loudest, scariest, alarm I HAVE EVER HEARD IN MY LIFE!!!! Ran out of that bathroom and sat back down. Luckily, it shut off after about 10 seconds .... sigh ...

.... 1 Day Trip Interval ....

Airport (Undisclosed) at this time, on the way back! Packed everything separately again, except this time, I had even MORE equipment. (I shipped a box with equipment ahead of me just in case equipment got confiscated) Even got some interesting (Cocoa/Tobacco) Flavoring in large 30ml bottles from my friends mother who was kind enough to let us try :) This time through security ... They must have sat starring at the bags for 10 minutes. Asking questions like, "My, you sure do have a lot of cables, etc... in your bag" "What's in these bottles" etc... Went ring around the posey a few times (forgot to take off belt, forgot my boarding pass on the conveyor, etc....) When all was said and done, eliquids/tobacco flavoring/equipment etc... made it through fine, but they confiscated my toothpaste and hair gel!!!! :mad:

Now, this is where I learned the facts of what can and can't be taken on board. Our trip home, there was a flight attendant showing another passenger a Smoke51 disposable ecig!!! 8-o I couldn't believe it! I met a totally random person that new what esmoking was .... Anyways, Joanna looked at me and I just decided to stay quiet. About an hour in to the trip, I pulled out my liquid and started half dripping the Pilot I had on me. The same guy (flight attendent) that was showing another passenger his, immediately took interest in it. Never heard of eliquid or any other ecig for that matter, and we had a nice long discussion. He told me, batteries, atomizers, cartridges, etc... are all fine and legal to take on board. Southwest had passed a memo that electronic cigarette smoking was NOT allowed, however, no equipment could be confiscated because it doesn't break any federal regulations.

He was still quite new at the entire thing, but said he had taken it through atleast 20-30 different airport's, security checkpoints, etc... and even showed some, and never had an issue!

So, there you have it ... Whenever you travel, never hesitate to bring your equipment along with you. If you feel more comfortable breaking it apart and transporting (like I did) you should still not have any issues. I would suggest no large bottles of eliquid (30ml or less) and NEVER blow in to an Airplane Smoke Detector because it DOES set it off!

Back to work for me ... just thought I would share my fun and interesting experience with esmoking and flying!

-CaSH
Just imagine they make a smokeless juice and then you can't set off the detector. Some China manufacturer was suppose to be making this but when I e-mailed them about it they didn't respond. Would be nice to have so when your in a crowd they won't feel like your smoking.

J_Data

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2009
Tucson, Arizona
jasonpitts.com
...Speaking of Kumar, has anyone tried using another smokable's extracts with their e-cig?

it works just fine, I have sown up various herbs and spices :cool: in a pyrmid teabag, then put into a shot glass.

cover entirely with PG.

place shot glass into a small sauce pan and hold in place with small smooth rocks

place water around the shot glass, then bring to a boil.

kill the heat and let cool.

slybootz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2009
Chicago
www.jimmyk.rocks
I just got back from a week long trip:

to problems, no questions asked when taking my PVs with me through airport security. both Chicago's O'Hare and NY's Laguardia airports were a breeze. In my laptop bag I carried-on: a fully assembled m401, my 401 pcc, 4x10ml bottles of eliquid in a baggie with my toiletries, 2 auto batts, 2 manual batts, 4 spare atomizers, a wall charger, and my pcc charger. Not a single raised eyebrow or hiccup going through security or x-rays! Stealth vaped in the terminal, on the plane in my seat, as well as in the lavatory(not near the smoke detector!). very positive experience!

just got home and my new V2 was waiting in my mailbox! now I'm excited to travel next time with the v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread