Anyone else have family or friends who still believe your "Still Smoking"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jammin

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Washington DC
My family are a set of these people

I quit smoking months ago and turned to vaping but they still have the opinion that im still smoking, they dont believe i have give up completely because i am vaping even though i havent had a cigarette in a long time. Anyone else get this annoying onlook from family or friends?

Apparently until i stop vaping i will never be a non smoker :blink:

Ah, don't let it bother ya. You know you aren't smoking. I wouldn't even bother with asking them if they think I am smoking or not.

I have gotten to the point that with certain family members who seem to always be a nay sayer to everything just not even telling them I vape at all. A few who do know have asked, it's been over a year, why are you still using that? I tell them to me it is relaxing, and it isn't a cigarette so no harm, no foul. This is also why when I started I never referred to it as a cigarette cessation device, because that isnt what it was/is to me. I enjoy it, it just happened to have the side effect of getting me off of analogs entirely.

dlsw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Ohio
Thanks for this question! My DH quit cold turkey and I am vaping. He thinks it is smoking... If it looks like smoke... :facepalm: I didn't marry him for his smarts, lol. I guess I just have to get past what others think because I know I quit smoking. I was going to try nicotrol inhalers, this is just WAAAAAAAY cooler. But, if I used inhalers, no one would think that I was still smoking as there is no visible vapor.

Jammin

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Washington DC
Not true at all. After 37+ years of smoking, I haven't inhaled any burning tobacco in over two years. I have definitely quit.

I totally agree. I have quit the many ills that goes along with smoking analogs. I compare the nicotine in vaping equivalent to drinking coffee with caffiene. Not akin to drinking water as in zero issues, but certainly not akin to smoking tobacco either. It's fairly harmless as nicotine has not been shown in any studies to be cancer causing.

ChinMullet

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2012
Outer Space
...moved from burning leaves with nicotine to burning liquid with nicotine.

I kind of agree with this, but I would remove the word "we". I can't presume to speak for anyone else here.

I'm just as addicted to my PV and juice as I was to cigarettes. I realize it's a "safer" nicotine addiction, but nicotine addiction regardless.

I feel like I'm lying if I tell someone "I quit smoking", then whip out my PV and start puffing on it. So, I tell them that "I quit smoking cigarettes", which is certainly true.

ctourtelot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2009
Richmond, VA
I'm nowhere near as addicted to vaping as I was to cigarettes. I remember barely being able to last an hour without going through withdrawal and as soon as I had the chance, I'd be literally shaking to get my cigarette lit.

I don't even really think about it anymore. I vape frequently, but there have been several times when I didn't have it with me or I was busy with something and I didn't panic or even really think about it. I no longer have "nic fits" despite the fact that I still use nicotine.

I believe firmly that if I chose to, I could put the PV down without too much issue. However, I have no intention of doing so because, in my case, I feel the nicotine is beneficial. There have been several studies recently in regard to nicotine and Alzheimers. Many people in my family have suffered from this disease and in the past 5 years, I've noticed a steady decline in my memory and focus.

Studies indicate that nicotine can reduce, prevent and possibly reverse the symptoms of Alzheimers and for that reason, I will continue to use it.

I'm not the only one on this forum that benefits from nicotine use and some posters even rely on it to function normally. We all have taken our own routes with vaping and for our own reasons. To make blanket statements that we're all just nic junkies jonesing for our next hit is the same narrow minded view that the community is fighting with the antis.

To each their own. If still being addicted to nicotine bothers you, then wean off and put the PV down. If you're ok with using nicotine, vape away and be proud. You're the person you have to answer to when you look in the mirror. Not society, not your family, not the government. It's your health... your life.. your choice.

<end rant>

Jammin

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Washington DC
I kind of agree with this, but I would remove the word "we". I can't presume to speak for anyone else here.

I'm just as addicted to my PV and juice as I was to cigarettes. I realize it's a "safer" nicotine addiction, but nicotine addiction regardless.

I feel like I'm lying if I tell someone "I quit smoking", then whip out my PV and start puffing on it. So, I tell them that "I quit smoking cigarettes", which is certainly true.

seems to me that "quit smoking" is still accurate, since it isn't smoke, but rather water vapor/mist that is being blown out of your PV. No smoke with vaping.

Jammin

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Washington DC
I'm nowhere near as addicted to vaping as I was to cigarettes. I remember barely being able to last an hour without going through withdrawal and as soon as I had the chance, I'd be literally shaking to get my cigarette lit.

I don't even really think about it anymore. I vape frequently, but there have been several times when I didn't have it with me or I was busy with something and I didn't panic or even really think about it. I no longer have "nic fits" despite the fact that I still use nicotine.

I believe firmly that if I chose to, I could put the PV down without too much issue. However, I have no intention of doing so because, in my case, I feel the nicotine is beneficial. There have been several studies recently in regard to nicotine and Alzheimers. Many people in my family have suffered from this disease and in the past 5 years, I've noticed a steady decline in my memory and focus.

Studies indicate that nicotine can reduce, prevent and possibly reverse the symptoms of Alzheimers and for that reason, I will continue to use it.

I'm not the only one on this forum that benefits from nicotine use and some posters even rely on it to function normally. We all have taken our own routes with vaping and for our own reasons. To make blanket statements that we're all just nic junkies jonesing for our next hit is the same narrow minded view that the community is fighting with the antis.

To each their own. If still being addicted to nicotine bothers you, then wean off and put the PV down. If you're ok with using nicotine, vape away and be proud. You're the person you have to answer to when you look in the mirror. Not society, not your family, not the government. It's your health... your life.. your choice.

<end rant>
I am the same way. There is still some addiction but it is in no way comparable to smoking analogs. When I go out, I never take it with me. Don't even think about it until it is actually in front of me, on my computer desk. Recently went to california for four days, didn't bother to take my PV as I didn't want to worry about any airline restrictions. Not once in those four days did it enter my mind. The addiction just isn't as strong (at least not for me and my 18 mgs I vape) as analogs. I couldn't have gone an entire night wtihout feeling pretty miserable when I was on analogs. They had a hold on me pretty tight.

sppowers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2011
Boston
Can people stop stuffing their face with food? If someone made the ultra low sugar, ultra low cholesterol, ultra low calorie, ultra tasty and realistic cupcake would you criticize those that ate it?

This is about frame of mind.

I love this analogy. I just hope studies in 20 years put it on par.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I can still find people that think men have one less rib (in their rib-cage) than women, or that the center of the earth is hollow.

The vaping experience looks like smoke (well, close). So does steam/vapor rising off a warm lake/river on a cold morning, or fog. But they know the difference in those cases. It's a matter of educating the public. Don't concern yourself with it too much, as long as you know the difference.

CrystalClaire

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 25, 2011
NYC
My brother gives me crap about it by saying I'm "still smoking." He's on a dieting plan that uses the point system (weight watchers?) and allows for sweets. Last night, I walked by the table while he was eating a piece of chocolate cake and said "I see you're still 'dieting' "
He's not the sharpest tool in the shed but I think he got it

PepNYC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I get the routine about switching from being addicted to tobacco to being a pure nicotine addict--like a ...... junky.

"Yeah...I'm friggin' mainlining the stuff. I even promise to miss you after you're gone."

Mainlining? Hell...I have an IV bag on wheels I roll around with me full of 18mg nicotine. Once in a while I'll get really crazy and put a few drops of redbull flavoring in there. That stuff gets me all jacked up.... ;)

Toronnah

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2012
Canada
Hey, do what you want. I'm a Libertarian that way.

I smoke analogs and vape ( because I'm not taking an ecig onto the jobsites I visit)

If people want to vape- go for it. If they want to smoke tobacco- go for it. It doesn't affect me one way or the other. I just take issue with the "holier than thou", ex smoker BS that a select few seem to spout on this site.

I would like to remind these select few how they felt when this was thrown in their faces while they still used analogs.

Meanwhile, they still have a stick in their mouths inhaling nicotine laced vapour. I just fail to see where the attitude is justified.

rustybikes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2011
Concord, NC
I find it deeply offensive when someone suggests that I haven't really quit smoking yet 'cos I use one of those "electric cigarettes". Smoking involves the inhalation of particulate and chemical compounds emitted by plant materials when they're ON FIRE! That is exactly not what I'm doing.

And for the "if it looks like smoke..." crowd - simple. It's an optical illusion!! :D

As others have noted here, there's plenty of ignorance out there. We try to explain, but it falls on deaf ears. I call that "aggressively ignorant". So, if discussions/explanations fail, I'll either walk away shaking my head, or I'll just punch them in the mouth. They universally stop hassling me about "smoking" at that point... :evil:

J/K - Walking away stops the hassling without earning an assault charge.

deluxe

Dec 6, 2011
Buffalo, NY
So if I was to stick a nicotine patch on my arm or chew a piece of nicotine gum I wouldn't be able to say "I quit"? Wow. Well you better tell the thousands of people that do it everyday.

I actually have a friend who states that if you don't smoke cigarettes but you use the patch or the gum, you still smoke. He's just saying it to be a jerk, but the answer to it is ... so what? If you want to call drinking a glass of water "smoking", go ahead lol. It still doesn't make it bad for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread