Status
Not open for further replies.

daniele25

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
phoenix
I've had a similar conversation come up on several occasions the last 6 months since I quit smoking...and I'm starting to wonder if its just my friends and family, or if others are experiencing the same thing.

Do you find that people discredit the fact that you quit smoking because you are vaping instead? So many times since I have quit and am telling people how I did it...the reaction is typically "oh...but you are still using an e-cig, when are you going to stop using that?" It's almost like, as soon as they find out I am vaping instead, they feel as though I really haven't quit smoking. It's somewhat frustrating to be honest! :)

Does anyone else get this from people? How do you typically respond?

FlossBandit

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2012
North Carolina
"oh...but you are still using an e-cig....

That's precisely how I feel about it. Can't side with you. For all we know vaping is more harmful that regular cigs. They really haven't been out long enough and aren't regulated well. I'm also 100% sure there are companies out there that don't give half a damn what's in them as long as they taste good. After all, taste, vapor production, and throat hit is all that sells liquid.

I can't pat myself on the back until at least a decade of thorough research has been done. Even then it can't be as healthy as breathing air. So no pats on the back for me.

Vaping fundamentally doesn't seem like it'd be as unhealthy as inhaling tar and ash but I still can't justify it... I just do it.

hrlw817

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2012
St. Charles, MO
This just goes to show how uninformed people are. I too, get tired of explaining to people what exactly the "e-cig" is all about. I actually had a co worker one day out of the blue just say to me, " I heard that those electronic vaporizers can make you suffocate and drown". I didn't correct her, because, well, she isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. I also get tired of people asking me about ecigs and they get all excited and want to go and try them, then a few days later say, "well, it's just too much time and money, it's easier to just buy a pack of cigs".

JENerationX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2011
Rochester, NY
I don't care what anyone has to say about it. I know I've dropped all but my rescue inhaler, which I only used when I had a horrible cold. I know I can walk up the stairs without gasping for air, I know I don't get "hungover" feeling from vaping while out at the bar, and I know that 3,999 less inhaled chemicals is better for me.

Cuando

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
Living in a box of CelluCotton
Sent from my easy chair using brain waves.

I laughed so hard at this, then saw you had a penguin avatar. When can we start making babies? ;)

On topic, I usually respond with something to the effect of, "You know, I know I'm still addicted to nicotine, but I haven't felt this good in over a decade."

And for people who know me, I think they can see how excited I am to be free of cigarettes. Have hung around smoker friends, while they are smoking, and to have them even offer me cigarettes (almost sympathetically, as if they can't believe I'm truly getting my fix from my pv), and I have been completely happy to simply vape. It's ... it's like I'm in Bizarro World.

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Usually, if someone reacts negatively to me saying "never," then I put them on my mental "ignore list" and just pretend they don't exist when I can. The few times it's happened, it was with people who were already on the list for proving at least once that their opinions were not to be countenanced by reasonable people.

I'm genuinely sorry if I insulted people's mothers or other family. It's nothing personal.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
There seem to be three classes of reactions:

Non-Smokers - Oh that's so coo!!! Does it have nicotine? How does it work? So, when are you going to quit smoking?

Answer: I"m not smoking. It's not hurting me or you. There's no reason to quit and I don't have any plans to.

Smokers - Do those things work? How much do they cost? Is it a lot of trouble? Do you plan to quit?

Answer: Yes. It's up to you. It can be, No.

Ex-Smokers: You're still addicted.

Answer: That's not what bothered me about smoking.

I have to say that I generally keep my vaping habits on the low down unless its friends or family I'm speaking to. I happily explain to them what it is and the fundamental differences between smoking and vaping and both sets of people are really pleased that I have kicked smoking and now vape without damaging my health.

Think ive managed to convince my mum to give it a shot so heres hoping! She has been smoking for 35 years and when I gave her a shot of my e-cig she seemed to find it very good. So I hope I can convert her.

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Ex-Smokers: You're still addicted.

Answer: That's not what bothered me about smoking.

I always just ask why that's a problem. Then I start talking about betaphenethylamine concentrations in chocolate and cheese until their eyes glaze over. It's good to know about drugs.

radeljack

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2012
Fredericksburg Texas
As a now non smoker I remember how many times I tried to quit and how many packs of nasty gum, patches and pills I bought and still could not quit. Mabey those people who say that are just doubting the fact that you found something that worked, if someone would have told me 2 years ago I could quit I would have laughed while nervously lighting another cigarette. My husband was one of those doubters, he would say when are you going to quit that, I would say when you quit that (pointing at his nasty cig). After 8 months without a cig he has stopped asking when I will quit and started asking what flavor I am "puffing" on, mabey his next question will be can I try that?

Maptec

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2012
Indiana
When I first brought this up to my wife she that it would be a good idea to help me quit smoking. It just so happens it was. After a week of being smoke free she started asking me when I was going to work on a plan to quit vaping. I was a bit frustrated with this at first but it passed.

Now she is letting me buy mods and want me to try different flavors . She even asks me to vape Truth Serum because she likes the way it makes the office smell.

Its all about education and understanding.

Last edited:

RedForeman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2010
Georgia
I usually respond that I really enjoy smoking and this is a less dangerous alternative that works for me. In a tone that indicates the end of the conversation.

If they don't pick that up, my response is appropriate: either they're genuinely interested (I'll inform/educate best I can) or just trying to raise themselves up by harping on my habits (MYOB or the like).

Thesaurus

Jul 28, 2012
Iowa
I agree that it is trading one vice for another, but it is undoubtedly a safer vise.

I'd be surprised if somebody suggested that when they traded traditional cigarettes for electronic cigarettes, they didn't have a single problem going to them. That's how it was for me, anyway. Traditional cigarettes are just so easy, and I've not gotten as hardcore of a buzz from electric cigarettes yet that I had from traditionals. And I actually vape ~30mg per ml.

So it really is difficult quitting even if you are still getting nicotine. There's totally valor in that. It's not as hard as quitting cold turkey, but there is still valor.

Yet the addiction still exists, even if not quite as strong. The morals of addiction are questionable. But I think we can safely agree that this addiction is safer than the other.

mangoon

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Any neg comments about vaping usually just get a " hey it works for me " response. Then I walk away knowing that I feel a million times better than I have in 25 years. One of the good things about getting older is that the older you get the less and less you care about other peoples opinions of your personel habits lol.

VapDrak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2012
Ecuador
Where I live nobody knows about vaping. So the people think: The " ...... Loco" smokes on strange devices and who knows what strange stuff he mix in that... look at his happy face!!!:):vapor::)
Well I let them believe whatever they want, I actually explain vaping only to smokers that could benefit from vaping. Would be nice having some vaping buddys over here to share experiences.
But hey there is ECF... and believe it or not... I found a vaper in Ecuador!!! He is actually almost a neighbor, will meet him as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Davenkay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2012
Baltimore, Maryland, USA
When people ask about my vaping I tell them how long I have been without a cigarette and for the most part have fully supported me. Don't really care what other people think. I enjoy sitting back and relaxing, watching TV (all in the house) without going out in the blistering heat or freezing blowing snow to take a smoke.

Nice not to stick and have bad breath...thats an added plus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread