Anyone using a Sophia with an IBTanked on their Provari?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefAllDay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2013
Ft. Campbell, KY
Awesome. Thanks for the tips. I am going to hold off on the SnP until after the new year, and I give the IBTanked a go. I do like Leo's pro tank, the look is polished and fits the provari perfectly.
Oh and I placed my order of 2mm wick and some 1.5 ohm wire from stormys.
Thanks again for all of the advice.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Seapup

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Virginia, USA
Oh wow. Thank you so very much! I am glad to see someone with the exact setup I am going for. I have been looking at SnP tanks,but I can't justify them due to price. Are they that much better than the IBTanks?
Do you buy your wick from stormy as well?

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX

If a tank holds what you consider an adequate amount of juice, seals well, looks great on your mod and is cost-effective (price/quality ratio)... a tank is a tank is a tank. :) The only other factor I can think of is ease in refilling. That's where the SnP shines. Close down the juice control, twist the upper cap cover 1/4 turn counter clockwise, fill through one of the two ports, twist cover 1/4 turn clockwise, open juice control, vape. No mess, no tools, no wiping down. I love my IBTanked gear and have found no problems with these tanks. I love all the customize-able options. The only difference is filling. With the IBTanked and Sophia, either use a slap-yo-mama tool or pull your driptip, close the juice control, push the Sophia down into the IBTanked far enough to create a gap between the top of the Sophia and the upper tank cap, squirt juice in the gap, push Sophia back up, wipe, open juice control, vape. It's no different than filling with a regular carto. I think there's an example of this towards the end of the byLeo video.

darkgear

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Islands in the middle of the sea
The Protank is nice but I'd get the SS tube for it too since it comes with poly tubes. The capacity is small but I like it since I switch juice often.

2wo9e39.jpg

Seapup

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Virginia, USA
I ordered 3mm wick. Will that be too thick? I can always order 2mm, as its not terribly expensive.

Also, the wire from stormys, is it better than normal kanthal, or is it just pre cut?

I agree the SnP seems to be a better tank, I am just holding off until next month because I got so much vape mail this month. LoL.

Thanks again.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX

As darkgear posted, you'll end up with wicking problems using 3mm unless you modify the ceramic cup. I've tried only 2mm Silica and don't plan on trying anything else in my Sophias as I'm perfectly content. Stormy's sells many variations of NR-R-NR wire. The Stormy's link that I posted is what others on this forum have been successfully using. The wire assemblies are actually three wires welded to form one wire... a piece of nickel non-resistance wire welded to a piece of Kanthal resistance wire welded to a piece of nickel non-resistance wire. They work great. I plan on continuing to use Stormy's wires until I receive my wire welder (so I can just make them myself). Someone somewhere on this forum posted something like, If you're not getting a clean awesome vape from your Sophia, you're doing something wrong. I agree... once you determine your preferred juice control setting, airflow setting, resistance and wick setup... it's like the ultimate amalgamation of dripping and cartos, without the hassle and mess. :D

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Agree, a tank is a tank is a tank (although I have found that I do not like some of the tanks I bought, and that dislike has nothing to do with the carto's themselves... which I have always disliked). But to use with a Sophia's liquid control in ANY tank you really do want to change the top o-ring of the tank to a silicone one. Duh.

Made that mistake the first time I loaded up the KirF Prive Special tank with a Sophia and then tried to turn the Sophia's liquid control...:facepalm:
I also learned about closing the Sophia's liquid contol when filling a tank the hard way. :facepalm:...:facepalm:

Seapup

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Virginia, USA
.....I also learned about closing the Sophia's liquid contol when filling a tank the hard way. :facepalm:...:facepalm:

I haven't done that yet, but I probably will. :D In my haste to head out for lunch today, I closed the juice control, gave the SnP top cover a 1/4 turn, started squirting juice in the tank to top off, got sidetracked for a second and shot juice in my face out of the breather hole.
doh.GIF

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I haven't done that yet, but I probably will. :D In my haste to head out for lunch today, I closed the juice control, gave the SnP top cover a 1/4 turn, started squirting juice in the tank to top off, got sidetracked for a second and shot juice in my face out of the breather hole.
doh.GIF

:laugh:

The well DUH part for me was I knew to close the liquid control first, just wasn't paying attention to what I was doing and lost about half a syringe of juice out of both ends of the Sophia. There wasn't anyplace else for it to go with the KirF Prive Special tank that I also loaded way too fast. :blink:

Last edited:

kas122461

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Indiana, USA
Where do I get the different o ring for the top of the tank? The brit youtube review I watched with the Leo tank had it already.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

The sophia comes with the red o-ring, only problem I had is it did not fit in my Loki ss1 tank, witch was a pain, but I think it fits in the IBT's though I don't have one.

KAS

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
Sry to thread bomb OP, :oops: but lots of these folks replying to you know I've been eyeing the Sophia a LONG time and waiting to pull the trigger when the prebuilt LR coils get back in stock. I've been waiting since before Christmas and about to just order but feel like the LR is going to give me the better vape.

For those of you Pros using the Sophia for awhile, are any of you getting from what I read in some threads the "muted lower notes of flavor in juices" taste w/the Sophia??? I know taste is subjective but this issue some are getting w/the Sophia makes me a slightly nervous. I love complex, smack your face flavors and would be highly disappointed if the only sweet notes comes out of a juice on the Sophia.

I feel at times this happens with carto tanks and it drives me crazy that a stupid clearo can sometimes produce more layers of flavor than a carto tank. I'm not sure if it's the PG/VG ratio, flavor itself or what causes this but it's weird. Perfect example is AVEs Gorilla Juice or Halos Voodoo for me.

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
Don't wait too long. The By Leo gear is on sale for 10% off with code XMAS1314 until January 7th. The Sophia comes with a pre-wrapped LR coil/cup, spare ceramic cup, and a red sliicon o-ring. I vaped the pre-wrapped coil and it was good--silica good. I wrapped a 1/16" coil on a drill bit from a 1.8Ω Stormy's ready wire and loaded it with my usual organic cotton ball. Then it was great--cotton great. As said, 1 mm Ecowool also fits in the grooves of the ceramic CE2 cup, available in other places.

The 45 mm standard Sophia setup works well in an IBTanked 19 x 35 mm tank (1.5 ml) with a STR5 drip tip for a 15 mm total mouthpiece. It also works well in an IBTanked 19 x 45 mm tank (2.0 ml) with a STR15 drip tip. The latter lets you slide the tank up far enough to remove the base with the 45 mm tank sealed at both ends, as well as adjust the juice flow control with the drip tip, which has a good grip on the tube with the double o-rings.

If you'll only be using 35 mm tanks, you can buy the base separately with the optional, 5 mm longer tube/drip tip and eliminate the seam between the standard tube and STR5. (If you buy these two pieces together, they add an o-ring and 2 ceramic cups). However, a tank tool won't fit in this tube/drip tip for filling if you think you need one. Of course, a tank tool works fine in the standard tube which also works with 45 mm tanks with a straight drip tip, and you can fill a tank on a Sophia without a tool just as you can a carto.

Hope this helps.

kas122461

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Indiana, USA
I contacted Loki, and he uses a different size o-ring, the 1 he uses is 1/16" cs x 3/8" id x 1/2 " od, when I started using the sophia with the provided o-ring it would not make a tight seal. I let it sit open for about 20 or 30 min, and there was juice running down the side, of my provari. I do not remember the size, of the one that comes with the sophia, but it is a metric o-ring, something like 1/16' cs x 7/32" id x 11/32"od, just enough of a difference, to not seal the tank. I don't know If he changed the design slightly for the ones I got or not, I got the polished end caps. I bought a bag of the o-rings I needed, for about $10.00 with shipping, and now I have 100 of them.

KAS

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Sry to thread bomb OP, :oops: but lots of these folks replying to you know I've been eyeing the Sophia a LONG time and waiting to pull the trigger when the prebuilt LR coils get back in stock. I've been waiting since before Christmas and about to just order but feel like the LR is going to give me the better vape.

For those of you Pros using the Sophia for awhile, are any of you getting from what I read in some threads the "muted lower notes of flavor in juices" taste w/the Sophia??? I know taste is subjective but this issue some are getting w/the Sophia makes me a slightly nervous. I love complex, smack your face flavors and would be highly disappointed if the only sweet notes comes out of a juice on the Sophia.

I feel at times this happens with carto tanks and it drives me crazy that a stupid clearo can sometimes produce more layers of flavor than a carto tank. I'm not sure if it's the PG/VG ratio, flavor itself or what causes this but it's weird. Perfect example is AVEs Gorilla Juice or Halos Voodoo for me.

Muted? Sophia actually acts as a force multiplier to our flavors... I feel those subtle notes on the same juices with my Sophia which other attys didn't bother with.

TEN REASONS, WHY THE SOPHIA (Post #7364)

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
Muted? Sophia actually acts as a force multiplier to our flavors... I feel those subtle notes on the same juices with my Sophia which other attys didn't bother with.

TEN REASONS, WHY THE SOPHIA (Post #7364)

Thanks and this is what I thought but a few posted in the byLeo threads they were experiencing muted taste..had me confused a little. I'm still ordering it but this wait on the LR coils are killing me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread