Augvape Merlin Mini RTA review from a dual coil kinda guy persepective

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2014
United States
I was contacted by Augvape and asked if I would like to review there Merlin Mini. It wasn't a tank on my radar as I generally prefer dual coil rta's with a lot of airflow, just fits my vape style better. I did know it also includes a dual coil deck so I figured I would give it a shot.

The packaging is pretty damn good, off to a good start

Get a good amount of orings, spare glass and an extra airflow reducer for the single coil deck for MTL vapers.

2 build decks, yes please

Going into this I just figured I would try the single coil deck for a day or 2 but eventually just use the dual coil deck for the majority of the time. I started off wicking the dual coil deck first though, just so I could get a feel of the tank in my usual preferred setup.

I used a dual SS spaced Clapton build and wicking was pretty straight forward. Used it for a whole day and was happy with the performance of this small tank. Flavor was real good and I got a nice dense cloud, not Boreas cloudy but very enjoyable.

Since I was pretty satisfied with the dual coil deck right off the bat that night I decided to dive into the Single coil deck. I figured I wanted to just get it over with so I can put the dual coil deck back in and enjoy, as I mentioned earlier single coil decks usually don't satisfy me.
Airflow reducer? No no no no

That was the first thing I removed, real easy with a flat head screwdriver.

Simple SS spaced Clapton, my goto when first reviewing tanks, like to keep them the same to remove that variable.

Loaded up the tank and gave it a go in single coil mode. First thought, good airflow and good flavor, so far so good. I really only planned on using the single coil for a day or 2 but the more I used it the more I appreciated it. Not as cloudy as the dual coil but the most enjoyable single coil RTA I have used thus far. The 2 day test wound up being my entire time with the tank thus far, about 3 weeks with everyday use and a couple of wick changes.

Competition
I had received a Geekvape Ammit a few days prior to the Merlin Mini showing up. I was curious about the 3d airflow on the Ammit and figured it might satisfy my need for more airflow from single coil RTA's. I put the same build in the Merlin Mini to make it a fair shot and new wicks in both tanks and loaded them up with the same juice. Both tanks were placed on Hohmtech Slice mods so that so I could compare as evenly as I could. Right off the bat the Merlin Mini has more airflow, not a tremendous amount more but noticeable. I also noticed that I got a more dense cloud from the Merlin Mini, likely due to having more airflow. Flavor wise there close but I give the edge to the Merlin Mini, might be due to the more dense cloud.
I do like the Ammit and since it is SS and 22mm it has found a place on my SMY SDNA75 for a very nice medium sized setup. If I had to choose it would be the Merlin Mini I would take every time though due to the increased airflow and 2 decks, I think it looks nicer as well.

Mods that were used to evaluate the Merlin Mini

Conclusion
Even though I was given the Merlin Mini for free I will freely admit that I was not a fan of the original Merlin which just had too tight airflow for me. I really believe the Merlin Mini is what the Original Merlin should have been, it is a big step up in performance for me. I know the original Merlin had a big following but fell short for people like me who liked more airflow. The Merlin Mini now gives the option for that extra airflow but also includes 2 airflow reducers to satisfy MTL vapers.....Win win in my book.

In the 3 weeks I have used the Merlin Mini I have not had any leaking issues, really no issues at all. It has been a go to tank for me when I am looking to get great flavor without clouding up a room. It is not a juice hog as well which is good thing due to it's small size, I can take it on the road with me and not worry about having to fill it all the time. I am also a fan of the looks and the stock drip tip is real comfortable.

I loved the Boreas but the Merlin Mini is now my favorite tank from Augvape, a real winner for me.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
I was contacted by Augvape and asked if I would like to review there Merlin Mini. It wasn't a tank on my radar as I generally prefer dual coil RTA's with a lot of airflow, just fits my vape style better. I did know it also includes a dual coil deck so I figured I would give it a shot.

The packaging is pretty damn good, off to a good start

Get a good amount of orings, spare glass and an extra airflow reducer for the single coil deck for MTL vapers.

2 build decks, yes please

Going into this I just figured I would try the single coil deck for a day or 2 but eventually just use the dual coil deck for the majority of the time. I started off wicking the dual coil deck first though, just so I could get a feel of the tank in my usual preferred setup.

I used a dual SS spaced Clapton build and wicking was pretty straight forward. Used it for a whole day and was happy with the performance of this small tank. Flavor was real good and I got a nice dense cloud, not Boreas cloudy but very enjoyable.

Since I was pretty satisfied with the dual coil deck right off the bat that night I decided to dive into the Single coil deck. I figured I wanted to just get it over with so I can put the dual coil deck back in and enjoy, as I mentioned earlier single coil decks usually don't satisfy me.
Airflow reducer? No no no no

That was the first thing I removed, real easy with a flat head screwdriver.

Simple SS spaced Clapton, my goto when first reviewing tanks, like to keep them the same to remove that variable.

Loaded up the tank and gave it a go in single coil mode. First thought, good airflow and good flavor, so far so good. I really only planned on using the single coil for a day or 2 but the more I used it the more I appreciated it. Not as cloudy as the dual coil but the most enjoyable single coil RTA I have used thus far. The 2 day test wound up being my entire time with the tank thus far, about 3 weeks with everyday use and a couple of wick changes.

Competition
I had received a Geekvape Ammit a few days prior to the Merlin Mini showing up. I was curious about the 3d airflow on the Ammit and figured it might satisfy my need for more airflow from single coil RTA's. I put the same build in the Merlin Mini to make it a fair shot and new wicks in both tanks and loaded them up with the same juice. Both tanks were placed on Hohmtech Slice mods so that so I could compare as evenly as I could. Right off the bat the Merlin Mini has more airflow, not a tremendous amount more but noticeable. I also noticed that I got a more dense cloud from the Merlin Mini, likely due to having more airflow. Flavor wise there close but I give the edge to the Merlin Mini, might be due to the more dense cloud.
I do like the Ammit and since it is SS and 22mm it has found a place on my SMY SDNA75 for a very nice medium sized setup. If I had to choose it would be the Merlin Mini I would take every time though due to the increased airflow and 2 decks, I think it looks nicer as well.

Mods that were used to evaluate the Merlin Mini

Conclusion
Even though I was given the Merlin Mini for free I will freely admit that I was not a fan of the original Merlin which just had too tight airflow for me. I really believe the Merlin Mini is what the Original Merlin should have been, it is a big step up in performance for me. I know the original Merlin had a big following but fell short for people like me who liked more airflow. The Merlin Mini now gives the option for that extra airflow but also includes 2 airflow reducers to satisfy MTL vapers.....Win win in my book.

In the 3 weeks I have used the Merlin Mini I have not had any leaking issues, really no issues at all. It has been a go to tank for me when I am looking to get great flavor without clouding up a room. It is not a juice hog as well which is good thing due to it's small size, I can take it on the road with me and not worry about having to fill it all the time. I am also a fan of the looks and the stock drip tip is real comfortable.

I loved the Boreas but the Merlin Mini is now my favorite tank from Augvape, a real winner for me.
Fantastic review! Nice pics too!

Reactions: MMW and mjag

mjag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2014
United States
Fantastic review! Nice pics too!

Thank you.

I am really tempted to buy the new Gold version of the Merlin Mini, currently on the lookout for a great sale. I only buy multiple of tanks I really like, this way I can run one in single coil mode and the other in dual. I have to admit though, I really want the Gold as I think it is a good looking tank and just got a Gold Snow Wolf it would look great on.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Thank you.

I am really tempted to buy the new Gold version of the Merlin Mini, currently on the lookout for a great sale. I only buy multiple of tanks I really like, this way I can run one in single coil mode and the other in dual. I have to admit though, I really want the Gold as I think it is a good looking tank and just got a Gold Snow Wolf it would look great on.
That would look great! I'm enjoying my Mini just bummed they decided not to manufacture the extension & glass tank. 2ml really doesn't last long & im using mine in single coil mod.

Reactions: mjag

mjag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2014
United States
Nice job on the review along with pictures :headbang:
Thank you, fun to write a review when you enjoy the product.

I just put it on my Nebula, don't know why I did not do that earlier, makes for a good looking pair

61a98865cd06e333c2bf489cfba17fdd.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread