Status
Not open for further replies.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
Not for me. I believe you either have a faulty one or you're wicking it wrong.
Wicked it every way possible. Floating , non floating, stuffed, non stuffed, tapered, non tapered, coil high coil lower coil middle, top cap fully screwed, semi screwed on and everything in between.

How could it be faulty. All o rings checked and Re seated.

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
Wicked it every way possible. Floating , non floating, stuffed, non stuffed, tapered, non tapered, coil high coil lower coil middle, top cap fully screwed, semi screwed on and everything in between.

How could it be faulty. All o rings checked and Re seated.
Clean and wash it. Put wick in and poke it inside wick holes lightly but hole closed off with wick material. (Ammit zero wick into wicking hole. This is where the two tanks differ.) Then prime cotton. Screw on tank and make sure juice control is closed. Fill tank and open juice control. From that point on I close juice control every time I fill it. Then open it back up. My Merlin or Ammit never leak and vape like champs. That does not work I have no idea. I vape both tanks at 42.5 watts. I use cotton bacon for wicking and a 3 1/2 mm .45 ohm coil. I have center pin out and air control wide open. . Be sure you have an authentic Merlin and not a fasttech clone. Clones never work as well as Authentic in my experience so I never buy them anymore. CHEERS and good luck to you

Last edited:
Reactions: WharfRat1976

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
Fill tank and open juice control. From that point on I close juice control

Thanks wheelie but is there actually juice control? The way the bell is designed puts juice on the wicks if there is juice in the glass...it's impossible to close off. It's gapped all around...

I just did everything you suggested....I did remove and Re seat the deck...maybe that was my issue...so far so good....I do love the flavor and vape quality this thing throws out....no doubt...

Edit: no weepin, no nuthin Wheelie!

Appreciate you!

91c1e9dd93417b51fd8d7700ba4cb625.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: wheelie

ccwaters

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota USA
Well, today I found out for me Merlin Mini does better then the Engine Nano. Being a pretty big fan of the Engine I figured I'd like it. Without a little mod (plugging indirect air hole) I found a flavor muted, noisy turbulent whispy vape.

Plugged the rear air hole, and it helps greatly, going to need some more time with it, experimenting a bit more but initial impressions for me MM does it better.

I know its largely a personal preference thing but as much as I like the Engine I thought it would be better.

Last edited:

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
Well, today I found out for me Merlin Mini does better then the Engine Nano. Being a pretty big fan of the Engine I figured I'd like it. Without a little mod (plugging indirect air hole) I found a flavor muted, noisy turbulent whispy vape.

Plugged the rear air hole, and it helps greatly, going to need some more time with it, experimenting a bit more but initial impressions for me MM does it better.

I know its largely a personal preference thing but as much as I like the Engine I thought it would be better.
How does the MM work for MTL vaping compared to the Engine Nano? I only MTL and I never gave the MM a chance.

Last edited:

ccwaters

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota USA
With the smallest reducer in place its pretty decent mine will easily run as tight as you describe your Nano. With same build and juice in the Nano and the back air open the MM quite a bit better for flavor. Close off the back hole and the MM is still a bit better but not as noticeably so. Its also much more pronounced with the airflow open.

With the nano closed up I just don't like how it vapes with that back hole open, when it is open I give it a really poor comparison to the MM. Close the back hole up and it is closer, but personally still prefer the MM. Nano is great though for a few reasons Build/wicking is really easy, no chance for leaks out the bottom, and capacity.

Not going to give up on the Nano, going to pull the plug and mess with coil location, maybe try a larger coil in it. The dual coil engine is fairly critical on location, maybe I just haven't optimized yet. Also going to see if I can figure out something a little more permanent to close up that back hole.

I doubt you would be disappointed with the Merlin Mini, but you seem to be really enjoying the Nano, if it suits you well that is all that really matters.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
With the smallest reducer in place its pretty decent mine will easily run as tight as you describe your Nano. With same build and juice in the Nano and the back air open the MM quite a bit better for flavor. Close off the back hole and the MM is still a bit better but not as noticeably so. Its also much more pronounced with the airflow open.

With the nano closed up I just don't like how it vapes with that back hole open, when it is open I give it a really poor comparison to the MM. Close the back hole up and it is closer, but personally still prefer the MM. Nano is great though for a few reasons Build/wicking is really easy, no chance for leaks out the bottom, and capacity.

Not going to give up on the Nano, going to pull the plug and mess with coil location, maybe try a larger coil in it. The dual coil engine is fairly critical on location, maybe I just haven't optimized yet. Also going to see if I can figure out something a little more permanent to close up that back hole.

I doubt you would be disappointed with the Merlin Mini, but you seem to be really enjoying the Nano, if it suits you well that is all that really matters.
I'm always trying new vape gear. I would have gotten the MM but I thought it wouldn't be a good for MTL. Can't remember who told me that tho.

What size coil have you tried in the Engine Nano so far? I've only used about 3mm coils so far.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
Ricks, don't know if you watch PBusado reviews, but he is a MTL vapor, though he reviews many products. He decidedly is doing more reviews on MTL tanks these days. A bunch in the past few months. I'm an in between type vapor, and on my MM I have the AFC almost closed and still get a decent amount of air, so I'd say it's certainly more of a DTL type of tank. As you already know, trying to make DTL tanks do tight MTL can be less then satisfying. Have you tried the Kayfun 5 or it's clones?

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
Ricks, don't know if you watch PBusado reviews, but he is a MTL vapor, though he reviews many products. He decidedly is doing more reviews on MTL tanks these days. A bunch in the past few months. I'm an in between type vapor, and on my MM I have the AFC almost closed and still get a decent amount of air, so I'd say it's certainly more of a DTL type of tank. As you already know, trying to make DTL tanks do tight MTL can be less then satisfying. Have you tried the Kayfun 5 or it's clones?
Thanks, I have not tried the K5's because I find that they are way too tall. I have tried the K3's and those K3 Pluses that are wider and hold more. I was using them until the Merlin RTA came out and after a slight modification to it it worked great. I was using the Goblin Mini V3's for a couple/few weeks before the Engine Nano came out and I'm finding that these are the best tank ever.

I hope that this will be it for a while...

Reactions: Mactavish

ccwaters

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota USA
I've found the KF5 to be another disappointment, too tight for a good DTL, too for MTL, sure you can reduce but that seems to be mixed results even on that. I still think ricks would be happy with the MM I've duplicated the amount of airflow you like with the Enano, and get a better xp with the MM. I also find the KF5 even at its tightest setting to be to airy for a good MTL experience.

That said, ricks, have you ever considered some of the alternatives? 3F has the SJMY Doggy style on sale for about $14, very nice little MTL atty for the money, plastic tank is a negative, but it holds up really well. Another one of my all time favorites is the Ubertoot still have 3 of them.

Reactions: MMW and ricks

ccwaters

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota USA
What size coil have you tried in the Engine Nano so far? I've only used about 3mm coils so far.

3mm is my go to size for most atomizers, I'm going to try larger later tonight, 3.5, maybe a 4mm if it will fit. I don't mind the Nano's vape wit the rear hole plugged, but it bugs me to do so.

Again, ricks, for the price give that little doggystyle a shot. capacity is pretty decent, think its 3.5ml, super easy build, bottom fill but an easy one. The SJMY is restricted lung capable, but tightens up really nicely, the SXK has a smaller air port under the coil so even more restricted.

Reactions: ricks

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
3mm is my go to size for most atomizers, I'm going to try larger later tonight, 3.5, maybe a 4mm if it will fit. I don't mind the Nano's vape wit the rear hole plugged, but it bugs me to do so.

Again, ricks, for the price give that little doggystyle a shot. capacity is pretty decent, think its 3.5ml, super easy build, bottom fill but an easy one. The SJMY is restricted lung capable, but tightens up really nicely, the SXK has a smaller air port under the coil so even more restricted.
I think it was you who told me about those before??? I liked them until I saw the plastic. I didn't get them because of that. My liquids have melted plastics before.

Let me know how large you go with the coil

Gabamarul

Feb 19, 2017
Bought the merlin mini for the looks. thought it would pair well with asmodus minikin v2. but didn't think about asmodus having matte finish :)

all in all, great performer for mtl users. easier to build, wick and fill compared to popular mtl tanks. also versatile when it comes to changing decks. but if you are using micro coils in small chambers with high resistances, this might not satisfy you flavor wise.

compared to full size merlin, i dont really get why they removed 2.4 mm reducer. it was perfect size for restricted lung hits. and another con goes to changing single velocity deck; placing a leg by bending makes it longer thus it consumes more power (theoratically) but i haven't seen that difference in real life usage yet.

orings on afc might not be the best. after using this tank for a while, i realized it gets wet when i try to change airflow setting by rotating the ring. not a big con to me as i carry a paper towel all the time for topcap. ah, well topcaps design makes it dirty when it comes to closing fill port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread