Colorado man sues after explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
This person might has a case because no manufacture should ask to use industrial batteries in home electronics. E-cig is for personal use so it's a home electronics (or mode that even worse).

What? I must be misunderstanding this...

Because I'm wondering what the flashlight, cordless drill, cell phone, cordless phone, and host of other electronic manufacturers should do instead?

Last edited:

hbrwhammer

Apr 3, 2012
st.louis
This is why i love the monthly vape meets we have here in st.louis. I know many of you go to meets in other states. I knew nothing about ecigs when i started with an ego-t. Other than the fact you can't taste anything in it. After going to one meet my head was full of info on batteries and mods, cartos and attys and tanks. They educated me on the risks of stacking batteries and how to minimize said risks. In the end i descided that even though i didn't have alot of money the investment in silver bullet and a lavatube (couldn't afford the holy grail) was the safest and best investment. There are places in life to cut costs and ecigs are not them. If you want to save a buck wait for a coupon code or a co-op.

StotheK

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2011
Knoxville
www.stevevape.com
Rat shack no longer stocks those batteries. See in the Tech Specs tab "Product Type - CLEARANCE ITEM"

Enercell is what he bought., non rechargeable li-ion batteries. MSDS data. Lithium manganese dioxide cylindrical cell.

This happened a while ago, so they very likely could have been in stock at the time.

buGG

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2009
brush²
Rat shack no longer stocks those batteries. See in the Tech Specs tab "Product Type - CLEARANCE ITEM"

Enercell is what he bought., non rechargeable li-ion batteries. MSDS data. Lithium manganese dioxide cylindrical cell.

maybe confused LiMNO2 with LiMN2O4. it's kind of crazy that those are a 3V chemistry, primary cell, and then under the tech specs they say it's equivalent to an AW ICR16340 among other rechargeable, protected, li-ion batteries, etc.

9ball_AJ

On the Snap...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
My opinion, based on information read here and elsewhere online, is that he used enercell cr123 3V non rechargable lithium batteries. Even though it has not been published or stated to my knowledge, I would venture a guess that he tried to recharge them, and the result was exploding batteries. It sounds to me that this situation arose due to the worst possible conditions creating the highest risk of an event of this nature.

However the public only sees the bad, and I have had several friends and family warn me about exploding ecigs. I have taken the time to explain why I use the batteries I do, and how I have minimized my risk of experiencing a similar situation to the one described in this thread. I have experienced a shorted battery while in use inside a mod, and I am glad that I chose to use AW IMR Batteries. The result could have been much worse.

I personally don't stack batteries in mods, and have no desire too. I do believe there are safe methods of doing so, and I will be more than willing to help educate anyone who does wish to use a stacked battery setup. If I can't educate them, I sure can point them in the right direction and advise like crazy how important it is to do the research.

The bottom line is to do the research, come to your own conclusions, and if that means you have to spend an extra $10 per battery, than so be it. Small price to pay IMO.

emberl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2009
florida
On Puresmoker's website:

"
Legal: These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Information and statements made are for educational purposes and are not intended to replace the advice of your health care professional. By purchasing these products, you agree to use the products at your own risk. Under no circumstances will PureSmoker be held responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any loss or damage that is caused or alleged to have been caused in connection with use of, or reliance on any product on this site.

I feel very bad for Steve.
He now has to hire a lawyer.....

I hope the injured man will be alright.

firhill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2009
Port Huron MI./Ontario, CA.
On Puresmoker's website:

"
Legal: These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Information and statements made are for educational purposes and are not intended to replace the advice of your health care professional. By purchasing these products, you agree to use the products at your own risk. Under no circumstances will PureSmoker be held responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any loss or damage that is caused or alleged to have been caused in connection with use of, or reliance on any product on this site.

I feel very bad for Steve.
He now has to hire a lawyer.....

I hope the injured man will be alright.

This

Almost like if I were to put regular unleaded gas in my cadillac which says premium only, it will run bad and eventually foul the plugs up. I cant sue cadillac or the fuel company because Im ignorant. If I couldnt afford the premium fuel I would've bought a cadillac.

..and this too. :thumbs:

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
Would that exclude all the people bragging about stacking 3 volt cells in their Provaris? Sort of common practice in the largest and most authoritative forum in the world.
Sort like going to a Cadillac forum and following advice to run avgas for more power. Haven't seem any official advice from GM not to do that.

The "it's not our fault you are stupid" seems like an easier approach than making mods "blow up proof".
If all the vendors posted that disclaimer the exploding mods would just go away. It really means "check with your doctor before stacking batteries" :)

Last edited:

MattZuke

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2011
A, A
This happened a while ago, so they very likely could have been in stock at the time.

Not bloody likely. I can verify this was a clearance item 1 year ago. I can say with modest certainty they abandoned their own line of batteries over 5 years ago. The R style logo used was in service between 1995-2004. ANYTHING with the old R logo on the shelf has been there for 8 years.

The gent bought Enercell batteries. They're cited by name, and unless the Rat Shack in question had left over stock from 8 years ago or longer, it's unlikely anyone would ever encounter (R) branded batteries.

T-Mac

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2012
S. Carolina, USA
I wish some people form this site would end up on the jury, but they will get people that do not know any better. This guy will end up getting millions probably which is sad because as most of you have stated "you can't fix stupid". I do truly feel sorry for the guy having to endure this but when I purchased my 3VO, Provari, or anything else for that matter I bought batteries from the site that sold the PV. Cases like this remind me of the lady that got 2 million for burning herself with hot coffee, now every cup from vendors all over state "Contents May Be Hot" etc. My next PV should read "Hey Stupid Use The CORRECT Batteries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Just my :2c:

Last edited:

9ball_AJ

On the Snap...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Would that exclude all the people bragging about stacking 3 volt cells in their Provaris? Sort of common practice in the largest and most authoritative forum in the world.
Sort like going to a Cadillac forum and following advice to run avgas for more power. Haven't seem any official advice from GM not to do that.

The "it's not our fault you are stupid" seems like an easier approach than making mods "blow up proof".
If all the vendors posted that disclaimer the exploding mods would just go away. It really means "check with your doctor before stacking batteries" :)

Make the mods as explosion proof as you want, that still doesn't prevent someone from putting low quality, unsafe, un-protected batteries in and creating an explosive situation.

If the manufacturer properly informed the user on how to use the device safely on the same website he made his purchase from, the user is liable. IMO.

wolcen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2011
Boston, MA
www.wolcen.com
Dammit :facepalm:

I have to wonder though...
burning debris and battery acid into his mouth, face, and eyes
...how did it get in his face? These batteries must be pretty powerful! I don't know much about this model, but it sure looks like the top is pretty well reinforced.

Was he holding it for someone else? :p Seriously though - there's also a side vent on these, right? Just curious how it could have such devastating effects to his face.

Sad for this guy. I just wish people knew to have more respect for our wonderful little cylindrical power cells, regardless of what they're used in.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Here is the unfortunate fact...

There are going to be people who buy a tube mod from a website after seeing a friend using one.
They are going to be people that have never heard of electronic cigarette forums.
They are going to be people who don't know batteries are dangerous.
They are going to be people who don't read warnings.

And no, these people are not stupid.

I know, because I could easily have been one of these people.
And I know I'm not stupid.
;)

END RESULT: This is going to happen more and more often.

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
Here's a thought for the manufactures / vendors out there. Place a standard size folded sheet of paper (8.5 x 11) inside the tube, and in big, bold font, write a warning about using the wrong batteries with the unit. This should at least decrease the number of these incidents for the people who don't read the fine print in the manual.

IVapus

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2010
atlanta
Here is the unfortunate fact...

There are going to be people who buy a tube mod from a website after seeing a friend using one.
They are going to be people that have never heard of electronic cigarette forums.
They are going to be people who don't know batteries are dangerous.
They are going to be people who don't read warnings.

And no, these people are not stupid.

I know, because I could easily have been one of these people.
And I know I'm not stupid.
;)

END RESULT: This is going to happen more and more often.

I agree wholeheartedly. As the vaping phenomenon spreads it will have to be made more idiot proof, or we won't like the results. The focus should be on what needs to change, not what an idiot this guy and others like him are(and don't fool yourselves, they outnumber us, by a lot). Just in the last year this industry has changed from everyone vaping basic PVs to mods are for everyone. The vast majority of people who are going to be vaping in the future aren't going to understand the finer points of battery chemistry, even if they had an interest, which they won't. The industry can't continue to use marketing and communication methods appropriate for enthusiasts and early adopters when going after mass market consumers. The sooner the industry accepts and responds appropriately to that fact the better for it's long term survival.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread