Cops and vaping??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danbrooks2k

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Pensacola, Florida
I just try to avoid cops period... I am a Paramedic, law abiding citizen, nice guy and all around good person.

I have ex-con amounts of ink on my back, chest, upper arms... These small time cops act like they just pulled over Al Capone ... Fortunatley I have EMS plates and I do the speed limit ( or 4mph over )... I hate hassles!

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
Chances are, all they've seen are Blus or NJOYs. If you're vaping a tube mod, just tell 'em it's an e-cigar version of an e-cigarette. Most people easily understand that.

When someone asks about the REO, it's easy to swipe the door down, show 'em the e-liquid and battery. Then I take the top off the RDA and squonk it a bit to show 'em the liquid, brag about my cotton-wicked micro coil and demonstrate it "boiling" not burning, the e-liquid to produce "steam" or vapor. Electrically or mechanically inclined people are fascinated... others not so much. :D

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Was in an auto accident in July, almost rammed a tooth out of my head with my Vamo. The officer that responded never even blinked at the wife and I vaping in front of him..
In January (my last month there) I was working in a County Sheriff's office, just got that same Vamo. Sheriff came in one day, saw the Vamo and had to ask.. Told him it was the newest ASP Baton, with built in tazer and smoke screening device and gave a demonstration! ;)

Ld3441

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Florida, USA
I live in a smallish town and cops love to pull you over hoping to find anything. I have been pulled twice, late at night coming home from work. I was pulled for headlight/tail light out. I never stopped vaping. I wondered if they would ask but they didn't. One of them shined his flashlight on my PV but never said anything about it.

I know I am doing nothing wrong and will not stop. Perhaps someday I might get to educate one but it hasn't happened yet. I take mine with me everywhere I go. There are places I don't use it but that is just a few places but it's always with me. I am always vaping in my car!

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
They most definitely know what they are. They may just not know what they can look like these days, or how big they come. I live in Dayton, Ohio, and I've seen sheriffs and even a federal marshal vaping. In front of me. Using mods. I even know a police officer with a side business who will laser engrave stuff for you.

Depending on where you live, most police officers are aware of ecigs, from cigalikes up to egos. Mods might appear sketchy. But as long as you're not already doing anything illegal or possess anything illegal on you when/if you get pulled over, the worst that could possibly happen is a waste of your time, and the officer's time, as well.

Edit: and if that's the case, you just educated an officer.

Last edited:

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
what did he test for? and what did he test with?
those would be my questions....

I see Myrany answered the question. :)

The Chief of Police lives in my neighborhood. This last weekend we had the neighborhood picnic. We moved here in February and hadn't met hardly anyone yet but I took my Provari with 3.5 Nova setup with me to the get together. No purse, just my PV in my hand. Most people guessed what it was, others asked about it. I got a bunch of 'Good for you!' The CoP sits at the table I'm at and never once asked about it and I just continued to vape.

I try to be visible when driving and have even vaped while next to an officer at a stop light. Never any second looks. I've asked Mr. Robin if he thinks we would get pulled over and his reply is 'I guess we'll find out'. Hasn't happened yet. We are always early for everything, if I do happen to get pulled over, I would welcome the chance to educate. But that's just me. ;)

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
I had to go to the court house a couple weeks ago to file some papers, as with most court houses they had a metal detector and x-ray machine both manned by State Troopers. I put my e-cig in the bin and sent it through the x-ray (I think I had an eVic with me that day) and the Trooper on the x-ray picked it up after it scanned through and looked questionably at me and then to the other Trooper manning the metal detector. The trooper on the metal detector says "That's an e-cigarette, you haven't seen those yet, totally fine, let him through", the funny thing is, the next guy goes through the metal detector, it beeps, he empties his pockets and what set off the metal detector... a Zmax! Anyway, I guess my point is that I think, at least here in Colorado, police are starting to learn about what e-cigs are and how to identify them over other similar looking devices which may be used for other, less wholesome, things.

Lol.. those crappy (OTHER ITEMS) you've probably seen a lot of, being in Colorado, are just crappy batteries with different contacts. They use the same wick and coil as a lot of other things. People buying those are just not informed at the fact that they are the same thing, and that they would be better off buying normal PV's...like the rest of "us."

People have been vaping other things, much longer than nicotine liquid. RDA's are great...

Last edited by a moderator:

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
They most definitely know what they are. They may just not know what they can look like these days, or how big they come. I live in Dayton, Ohio, and I've seen sheriffs and even a federal marshal vaping. In front of me. Using mods. I even know a police officer with a side business who will laser engrave stuff for you.

Depending on where you live, most police officers are aware of ecigs, from cigalikes up to egos. Mods might appear sketchy. But as long as you're not already doing anything illegal or possess anything illegal on you when/if you get pulled over, the worst that could possibly happen is a waste of your time, and the officer's time, as well.

Edit: and if that's the case, you just educated an officer.

The cop has a quota to meet...

just sayin
I

chapeltown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
United States
I live in Delaware. Just outside (more or less) Dover Air Force Base. I have vaped in front of cops, rent-a-cops, and even going through base security. The base security thing was funny though, because I had my 1300 mah ego twist topped with a protank in the same hand as my ID. He shot a look at the device and I said 'It's an Electronic Cigarette!' and snarky as all heck, he says....'I know that!'. I have only seen one vaper in the wild here, and that was a month later. In any case, I feel personally that if you act sketchy, law enforcement will treat you as such. You act natural, they are likely to accept.
......but then, I don't have a fancy mod. :vapor:

venemous

ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2013
Pinellas Park, FL
Got pulled over for it a few weeks ago. Granted, I was blowing some big clouds on my nzonic/nimbus combo with the windows rolled up... Cop did the whole "illegal substances" test and wished me luck in quitting smoking. Spoke to my neighbor who is a captain in the local PD and he said his officers are pretty well versed in vaping, but the county sheriff (the agency that pulled me over) is pretty clueless.

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
here's a scenario I would love to see ...

happily driving along enjoying a vape ... cop sees you and quickly radios in ... we got a (SUSPICIOUS PERSON) heading down Main St. :vapor:

Pulls you over, totally expecting ... this is the big one ... that promotion is due after this one :party:

Cautiously approaches the driver side of car ... hand on gun :blink:

You roll down your window ... releasing a huge, thick, waft of smoky vape ... however, it is nice, succulent Cinnamon Danish.

Cop gets all confused, and doesn't know what to say ... then realizes ... oh yeah ... I'm supposed to be picking up donuts for the office. :tumble:

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
here's a scenario I would love to see ...

happily driving along enjoying a vape ... cop sees you and quickly radios in ... we got a (SUSPICIOUS PERSON) heading down Main St. :vapor:

Pulls you over, totally expecting ... this is the big one ... that promotion is due after this one :party:

Cautiously approaches the driver side of car ... hand on gun :blink:

You roll down your window ... releasing a huge, thick, waft of smoky vape ... however, it is nice, succulent Cinnamon Danish.

Cop gets all confused, and doesn't know what to say ... then realizes ... oh yeah ... I'm supposed to be picking up donuts for the office. :tumble:

Um around here they had to make a rule for the cops about how many cop cars can be in the parking lot of any donut/fast food place at once. Someone emailed the chief of police a picture of the local donut shops parking lot one morning. Every parking space had a cop car in it.

Nope I am NOT kidding.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Early on in my vaping, had a local Sheriff deputy walk up to me at the local boat ramp and ask:

LEO - Had to come over and see what the heck that thing is you're puffin'?
Me (drinking a 'no-no in da park' beer) - Fancy electronic cigarette. (Buzz Pro w/DCT)
LEO - How's it work?
Me - (10 minute explanation and an ECF card later)
LEO - Some of my guys need to check into this. Thanx fer da info. Have a nice day!

Since I was sitting with some other local 'ramp rats', I think it was more curiosity than anything else. He was an older... errr... umm... experienced LEO and didn't project any suspicion; in other words, very pleasant.

Whenever I see an LEO, I intentionally imitate Mt. Vesuvius. If they ever ask, I'll educate. Oh, BTW, I'm retired and have da time to hold 'classes'.
BigGrin-1.gif

Bkag

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Lol.. those crappy vape pens you've probably seen a lot of, being in Colorado, are just crappy batteries with different contacts. They use the same wick and coil as a lot of other things. People buying those are just not informed at the fact that they are the same thing, and that they would be better off buying normal PV's...like the rest of "us."

People have been vaping other things, much longer than nicotine liquid. RDA's are great...

True, the "(OTHER ITEMS)" here all look pretty much the same, they are kind of flat looking things and usually have a dispensary logo on them so it makes them that much easier for the cops to identify. I don't know how it's all going to play out in January of 2014 though with the whole retail (X) thing coming in, I think cops are going to be on the lookout for public consumption so I think I'll be getting a little more hassle than usual about the e-cigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread