Status
Not open for further replies.

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Earth
Especially disagree with the idea that it cannot be healed, and do see that as opinion.

Bronchiolitis Obliterans (popcorn lung)

Not an opinion.

The actual physical evidence connecting "popcorn lung" to diacetyl is sparse and inconclusive. I'm not saying it's not dangerous, just that the connection is not direct or fully confirmed.

Study:

Respiratory Toxicologic Pathology of Inhaled Diacetyl in Sprague-Dawley Rats

Some highlights from the discussion:

- "In addition, our data suggest that even brief diacetyl exposures can damage airway epithelium if these exposures are very high, as may be possible in workers mixing flavorings (Kanwal et al. 2006). However, our data also suggest that during acute exposures producing TWAs of more than 100 ppm, pulsatile and continuous exposures have similar potentials to cause acute airway injury."

- "Thus, this study of diacetyl inhalation in rats demonstrates damage to the airway epithelium, which is believed to be the initiating injury for the general pathologic entity known as bronchiolitis obliterans."

- "Thus, this study of the inhalation toxicity of diacetyl is consistent with the conclusion that diacetyl is a respiratory hazard."

Seems pretty conclusive to me.

schismz

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
So has five pawns made any Official Statement about All This?
I'm curious what anybody is expecting to hear from the marketing department of a totally disingenuous company.

I'm sure they know their readings for DA and AP are off the charts; I'm sure they've known since at least the time of the Suicide Bunny noise. I'm equally sure they decided to keep right on selling it because Profit! I'm sure they'd like to reformulate their recipes and perhaps are having some trouble accomplishing that, and I'm sure that this has something to do with it: Five Pawns to Introduce a New Line of PG-­Alternative Vapor Liquids - Five Pawns

I'm pretty sure they'll take this as an exciting opportunity to introduce their PG‐alternative line for only $49/30mL. "It's super safe!" and I'm equally sure that almost nobody outside of the hardcore vaping community will even notice any of this. Suicide Bunny's tactic of just deleting everything disturbing off their Facebook page and ignoring the problem, seems to have worked out just super. I still see Suicide Bunny for sale everywhere, and nothing has changed.

In 2017 someone will notice that five pawns super-safe exciting alternative to PG actually contains 90,000 times the suggested human dose of some chemical that gives 100% of the people exposed to it cancer, ebola, or some brand new disease that nobody has ever seen before!

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I'm not embarrassed to say that i haven't fully made up my mind yet on where i want to draw the line. Still mulling it over and when more information is in, i will adjust my position accordingly. What i do know is that it's a dialogue that we do need to engage in.

When i'm out in the general community i put on my advocacy hat, but when i'm on ECF i want to ask the difficult questions without being called a pseudo ANTZ and be confronted with every fallacious and disingenuous argument imaginable. And i obviously don't mean you, but there are more than a few.
I agree, and hopefully this is a place where we can have that dialog. It would be fantastic if we didn't have to consider how someone is going to twist our caution, but that's the reality we live in. I always feel the need to temper my concerns, because of how those concerns can be used against us. I also have come to understand that everything I believed was a concern before, is not necessarily as bad as I was lead to believe.

It is both refreshing and unnerving how much vaping has made me question what other people(the government, public health, etc.) tell me.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... When i'm out in the general community i put on my advocacy hat, but when i'm on ECF i want to ask the difficult questions without being called a pseudo ANTZ and be confronted with every fallacious and disingenuous argument imaginable. And i obviously don't mean you, but there are more than a few.

We call a pseudo ANTZ a PANTZ *.

LOL

* PANTZ is a Registered Trademark of zoiDic Industries Inc.

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014

Not an opinion.

Study:

Respiratory Toxicologic Pathology of Inhaled Diacetyl in Sprague-Dawley Rats

Some highlights from the discussion:

- "In addition, our data suggest that even brief diacetyl exposures can damage airway epithelium if these exposures are very high, as may be possible in workers mixing flavorings (Kanwal et al. 2006). However, our data also suggest that during acute exposures producing TWAs of more than 100 ppm, pulsatile and continuous exposures have similar potentials to cause acute airway injury."

- "Thus, this study of diacetyl inhalation in rats demonstrates damage to the airway epithelium, which is believed to be the initiating injury for the general pathologic entity known as bronchiolitis obliterans."

- "Thus, this study of the inhalation toxicity of diacetyl is consistent with the conclusion that diacetyl is a respiratory hazard."

Seems pretty conclusive to me.

Do you realize this is one of the precious few studies showing health benefits for smoking?

3.3x overall increased rate of disease, with 10.8x for nonsmokers. The smokers were rather immune lol.

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Earth
Do you realize this is one of the precious few studies showing health benefits for smoking?

3.3x overall increased rate of disease, with 10.8x for nonsmokers. The smokers were rather immune lol.

lol

I had a friend in college who was working on a screenplay about a pandemic. The only people who survived the airborne illness where heavy SMOKERS! Hahaha.. it was the tar in the lungs that saved them, or something like that.

Needless to say it never got bought.

Cheers

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
lol

I had a friend in college who was working on a screenplay about a pandemic. The only people who survived the airborne illness where heavy SMOKERS! Hahaha.. it was the tar in the lungs that saved them, or something like that.

Needless to say it never got bought.

Cheers

Sounds like the Andromeda Strain and aspirin. Maybe he was onto something.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
I agree, and hopefully this is a place where we can have that dialog. It would be fantastic if we didn't have to consider how someone is going to twist our caution, but that's the reality we live in. I always feel the need to temper my concerns, because of how those concerns can be used against us. I also have come to understand that everything I believed was a concern before, is not necessarily as bad as I was lead to believe.

It is both refreshing and unnerving how much vaping has made me question what other people(the government, public health, etc.) tell me.

Absolutely, i always read those concerns in your posts. But the flip side of that coin is that we could be seen as a responsible and proactive community, able to solve our own problems and weed out the bad apples without overly obtrusive regulations. We look a lot more credible imo if we concede that there may be areas of concern that we are working to resolve, even though vaping is less harmful than smoking.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
If you wanted to look at the 5P results, hope you had a screen shot, as they have been removed under legal advisement.

Again, the people buying it and inhaling it don't count, and are caught between all the politicking and lawyering.

Maybe some group of vapers who vapes Absolute Pin or something will pool money to have it tested. $200 right? cuz we are not going to get the truth from anyone else it seems.:(

5P won't give us test results, and now a vendor who carries them can't either.

Last edited:

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin

Not an opinion.

Let's put this discussion in proper perspective. You previously said:

The chemicals in question WILL damage your lungs. That is an irrefutable fact. The damage is irreversible and cumulative. So even the tiniest amount will cause a tiny amount of damage that adds up over time, and it doesn't heal, ever.

You provide a link and don't draw attention to the part that says what you said above. I do a word search on the word "amount" and the only hit says this:

Diacetyl is approved by the Food and Drug Administration as a safe flavor ingredient, but there is evidence to suggest that inhalation in large amounts is dangerous. There are currently no warnings from federal regulators about diacetyl.

Inhalation of large amounts. This tells me that if you aren't inhaling large amounts it is not necessarily dangerous. Smokers have arguably inhaled a fairly substantial amount. Here's the part where you get to say that perhaps all smoking health issues relate to lung maladies have routinely been misdiagnosed when this is occurring. Yet, if vapers are now vaping, and condition is not reversible, then it would mean that vaping isn't going to make you feel healthy as your words before make it come off as there is no way around getting this. You inhale a tiny amount (over many years) and you're doomed. Oh, but what's that article say about this condition and non-smokers?

Non-smokers may be at higher risk for this form of bronchiolitis obliterans.

Along with:

National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health proposed a recommended short-term exposure limit of 25 parts per billion (ppb) and a time weighted average exposure of 5 ppb.

So, this notion of can't have any of it, when the primary resource driving ALL the data is saying there is essentially an acceptable limit. If there wasn't acceptable limit, then there would be zero ppb as the number that makes sense to go with.

I stand by notion that it could be healed. If you have full blown case of it, and no chance for a lung transplant, and your system is going to reject functioning lung in favor of the disease, then I would plausibly agree with your point under the stipulation of inhaling large amounts of it, but not under the notion of tiny amounts of it over time.

Do you dispute that cigarette smokers have been inhaling small amounts of it for many decades? And that this number found in cigarettes is, in some cases, significantly higher. Why no reports of smokers having bronchiolitis obliterans, caused from smoking? Why not list that as a possible cause on the article you linked from? Would seem easy to do so as I'm thinking no one would dispute this as smoking seems to cause a whole list of maladies. Why no current reports of vapers having it? Oh, that's right, it takes a long time to get it, due to the cumulative nature of it. Thus, smokers could get it, as well as ex-smokers, and there could plausibly be no way of knowing if ex-smoking, now vaper got it from decades of smoking or many years of vaping. But surely it is one of the two, even while non-smokers may be at higher risk of (a form of) it.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Absolutely, i always read those concerns in your posts. But the flip side of that coin is that we could be seen as a responsible and proactive community, able to solve our own problems and weed out the bad apples without overly obtrusive regulations. We look a lot more credible imo if we concede that there may be areas of concern that we are working to resolve, even though vaping is less harmful than smoking.
I agree that there are areas of concern, I just want more information before coming to any conclusions. Information like what is a maximum acceptable risk level of x. If liquid x contains n amount of y, how much y is in the vapor? Some answers we may have, some we pull from online sources and we think we know, but the one thing I've learned is to not take any information at face value. I want to know who came to the conclusion, how they came to it, and if anyone has come to a differing conclusion.

It SUCKS that we have to do this, we should be able to trust the CDC and OSHA and the FDA, but we KNOW that we can't, not completely. As far as this particular issue, if this were a concern to me, I would not be buying from any vendors who are not publishing test results.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I
I agree that there are areas of concern, I just want more information before coming to any conclusions. Information like what is a maximum acceptable risk level of x. If liquid x contains n amount of y, how much y is in the vapor? Some answers we may have, some we pull from online sources and we think we know, but the one thing I've learned is to not take any information at face value. I want to know who came to the conclusion, how they came to it, and if anyone has come to a differing conclusion.

It SUCKS that we have to do this, we should be able to trust the CDC and OSHA and the FDA, but we KNOW that we can't.

I thought Dr. F. gave those values.....
oh wait, I think he suggested ZERO....

but i'm pretty sure the orig testing thing did have some values?

Reactions: YoursTruli

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Because when a smoker dies, the cause of death is "smoking", so ANTZ can inflate their statistics.

I hate to tell you but it won't be that easy for smokers who became vapers. If they die of lung disease, and there are things like diketones that turn out to be valid, it will be just like the asbestiosis cases.....some of those people were smokers but it didn't matter. It turned out that "expsosure history" to asbestos was paramount..... and that my friend, is how the mining companies, etc. lost their butts in those consumer cases.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I

I thought Dr. F. gave those values.....
oh wait, I think he suggested ZERO....

but i'm pretty sure the orig testing thing did have some values?
Dr. F suggested zero, since to him it is an avoidable risk. He did not say that any exposure would definitely cause it. I don't believe he tested the vapor, only the liquid.

Dr. F also suggests not dry burning coils, as an avoidable risk, though afaik he has no clinical reason to suggest this.

Dr. F also sees vaping from the perspective of smoking cessation only.

As I've said before, I respect him, he does good work, and he cares about vaping.

Arnold Hesnod

Moved On
Apr 2, 2010
New York
If you wanted to look at the 5P results, hope you had a screen shot, as they have been removed under legal advisement.

Again, the people buying it and inhaling it don't count, and are caught between all the politicking and lawyering.

Maybe some group of vapers who vapes Absolute Pin or something will pool money to have it tested. $200 right? cuz we are not going to get the truth from anyone else it seems.:(

5P won't give us test results, and now a vendor who carries them can't either.

Here

F1S0ckh.jpg

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
I hate to tell you but it won't be that easy for smokers who became vapers. If they die of lung disease, and there are things like diketones that turn out to be valid, it will be just like the asbestiosis cases.....some of those people were smokers but it didn't matter. It turned out that "expsosure history" to asbestos was paramount..... and that my friend, is how the mining companies, etc. lost their butts in those consumer cases.

Didn't help Gary Fox too much, did it?

Black lung claims by 1,100 coal miners may have been wrongly denied | Center for Public Integrity

Is there any smoking-is-the-cause-of-everything ANTZ in jail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread