Does anyone else feel taken advantage of? And not in a good way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Actually one other thing I might add to my DIY Laboratory in the future might be a Nicotine Test kit to get as accurate a reading on the actual nicotine content in my DIY e-liquids. Since I will be mixing on the lower side not concerned with safety more about the accuracy. Just a thought......... :2c::2c:

Reactions: nostradadus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I made my DIY kit as of the following...
-I hoarded a lot of jugs and bottles in my 2 years of vaping commercial juices, rinsed out and tossed into a pail.
-Made myself a magnetic mixer out of a comp fan and project box courtesy of Youtube.
-Bought several 25ml, 50ml beakers from eBay china
-Mini plastic funnels from same Ebay china
-5mm-25mm stirbars from Ebay china
-Found all kinds of wiretop jars from various dollar stores 50-500ml sizes
-Bought several sizes of glass syringes but didn't use them, they aren't practical.
-Cut all my 100nic into 50ml bottles then cut again into 100ml of 48nic as I need so there is less chance of over nic if I accidently pour a bit extra not paying attention.

I knew what I liked in a tobac juice and guess was lucky and found Hangsen tobacs early and have no desire to concoct juice clones or really any other flavors. Using a scale (grams) and magnetic mixer has made my DIY much simpler and consistent compared to using syringes and mls to build juice. Most of my ebay china orders landed into my mailbox within 2 weeks of being shipped. I sourced my nic in Canada to avoid customs hassles but pick up my flavorings, PG and VG at the border (live 6 minutes up from Idaho border) and tell the border officers its for soap making.
The real advantage I've found with my mixes is that I don't have severe drymouth anymore(use no sweetener) and have to drink gallons of water other than being around 8 cents a ml to make my juice since nic is kinda expensive here in Canada, $125CAD per liter.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I've been vaping for 3.5 years now and where that same 22$ premium would last me almost two weeks or more out of my protank 2 and provari now lasts me 2-3 days out of a high powered device

Delivery devices used to be $6.00 or so. And didn't drink ejuice. Now the delivery devices are as expensive as a mod, and they drink ejuice. And some ejuice is $22 for 30ml.

However, I don't think anyone can take advantage of you if you don't acquiese to it. :)

when I noticed this "trend" I just figured out a way not to buy into it........ and I didn't. :lol:

Happily vaping away on DIY and/or cheap but delicious ejuice, and low cost delivery devices......

sometimes, I think that people who started vaping back in 2011-2012 have an advantage....they quit smoking on simple vape gear and know that it worked for them. I really never felt the need to spend a lot of money on vaping because one of the reasons I quit smoking in the first place was to SAVE MONEY. :)

I don't know why you would expect that this industry would be any different than others......advertising and such is all about selling you stuff, and separating you from your (hard earned) money. You don't HAVE to give it to them and there are certainly alternatives.

Truth is, there are many people who are still vaping on the first thing they ever bought, I talk to them all the time here, but they don't post much, because it's not "news"......they have found their "happy place" and aren't buying or experimenting with new stuff all the time.

The bottom line is there's a lot of CHOICE and you have power over what you choose and how you want to vape.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
I must agree you can only be taken advantage of if you let them but even though e-Liquid costs are considered high think about the other liquids you purchase and what they cost to produce. I did the math last night to see what the return on my investment would be from the purchase of my first DIY starter kit. Cost until I run out of supplies from first purchase will be 5 Cents an ML. That is only materials cost not including my labor rate!

Reactions: billfirth3

billfirth3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2013
Frisco, TX
Reactions: Skulcius

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I have't read through the whole thread but... Where exactly do you think a B&M makes their money from? Is it from the hardware you may purchase once or twice a year, or the liquid you purchase every week or two?

I assume, much like food, that e-liquid is a business that runs on the margin. If you sell high volume, like you would with an online shop, you can decrease your margin because you make up for it in volume. If you sell lower volume, like you would with a B&M, you need a higher margin to make up the difference. Most business owners make just enough to get by.

Reactions: Rossum

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
DIY is the best cost savings WRT to vaping. I keep my nic in a small chest freezer in the basement. I bought a special freezer lock to put on it to make sure the kids don't get in. A small locking box to put in your regular freezer would work also.

I was having a discussion with the owner at a local B&M last week and he pretty much said that juice is what pays the rent. I always feel kind of bad that I don't support my local shops by buying juice. I do occasionally, but I've probably only bought one 30 ml bottle in the past two years. I usually don't even vape it because I like my stuff better.

What someone said up there about using less flavoring is true for me as well. I don't go as low with flavor as they did (1% I think he said). Mine are usually around 10%, so I usually have to cut store bought juice because I've gotten used to the lighter flavoring.

Reactions: Rossum
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread