Explosions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
I think some people are just too lazy to educate themselves on battery safety and ohms law. And add to that a vape shop employee who will sale anything and has only been vaping a month. All that spells explosion!

I really don't think this is about laziness. Frankly, it's what's known as Murphy's law - "if it can happen, it will happen", and there's many reasons why someone might push a device harder than they should beyond simple laziness or ignorance. I wouldn't call it "idiocy" either - we as humans have all kinds of mental biases which lead us to do silly things, even very clever people. So, this raises a question about the ethics of selling mechs, especially now that regulated electronics are affordable and capable of exceeding mechs in performance terms.

Note: I'm NOT asking that mechs be banned. I'm saying: is it ethical for a seller to carry them knowing that under certain conditions they can be very dangerous?

Manufacturers of consumer electronics are constantly trying to build in protections as far as it is possible to do so. It's hard, nay impossible, to do this on pure mech's, so it's entirely down to the user as to whether they take the requisite precautions (vape-safe, anyone?).

I've noted some vapeshops insisting that customers sign a disclaimer when purchasing mechs, or any device which can be dangerous under certain operating conditions. I've no idea whether these disclaimers actually stand up legally, but I'm pretty sure that this is the minimum for responsible selling: Make sure your customer knows what they've bought!

Troll from behind

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
Finlad
These are unfortunate things, that just are gonna happen statistically.
With the devices beign what they are they really should be safe to any user, not matter how extreme.
China, instead of givin us yet more powah why not givin us devices, that are safe to use beign able to monitor themselves and say "No" when things start to go too fast & furious?

Reactions: ENAUD

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
I really don't think this is about laziness. Frankly, it's what's known as Murphy's law - "if it can happen, it will happen", and there's many reasons why someone might push a device harder than they should beyond simple laziness or ignorance. I wouldn't call it "idiocy" either - we as humans have all kinds of mental biases which lead us to do silly things, even very clever people. So, this raises a question about the ethics of selling mechs, especially now that regulated electronics are affordable and capable of exceeding mechs in performance terms.

Note: I'm NOT asking that mechs be banned. I'm saying: is it ethical for a seller to carry them knowing that under certain conditions they can be very dangerous?

Manufacturers of consumer electronics are constantly trying to build in protections as far as it is possible to do so. It's hard, nay impossible, to do this on pure mech's, so it's entirely down to the user as to whether they take the requisite precautions (vape-safe, anyone?).

I've noted some vapeshops insisting that customers sign a disclaimer when purchasing mechs, or any device which can be dangerous under certain operating conditions. I've no idea whether these disclaimers actually stand up legally, but I'm pretty sure that this is the minimum for responsible selling: Make sure your customer knows what they've bought!

Very true. I've noticed all the vape shops in my area have actually stopped carrying mech mods. Maybe they've decided it wasn't worth the risk. I think these may be obsolete in the future. Maybe not. As long as people are buying them I'm sure they'll keep making them.

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
See I am new and I am upgrading to the istick 30 so now I'm nervous

Don't be, this was a hypothetical post and reallying wasn't good for anything except making new users nervous. Regulated devices are extremely safe and usually a freak accident is to blame if something does go wrong. Educate yourself on your gear, know it's limits, and operate within them and you'll be just fine. Also keep an eye out for users posting actual reports of product issues and avoid those devices.

leftyandsparky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2015
Somewhere in the South
You might wanna consider a moment about iStick 60 TC.
Since it doesn't come with an internal battery your mods lifetime can be longer and you also avoid the biggest issue that is USB-charging.
I spent way to much money on my lap top to plug anything up to it to charge that my opinion about using usb charging devices.
I dont mind plugging something into the wall and the istick can do that

Reactions: NoFumus

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

I agree; I think it is a good practice; it gives the customer a HEADS UP.
It also provides evidence of whether or not the seller acted responsibly in warning the customer.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
See I've been doing that. thats why I chose the istick 30 because so many on here recommend it. I'm not looking to make big clouds I don't know about air flow I just want something to keep me off cigarettes while upgrading from the kanger evod 2

It's a good startoff device.
When it comes to safety issues, though, you'd want to upgrade to a replaceable battery mod later; that way you separate the electronic device from the real safety issue which is the battery.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
See I am new and I am upgrading to the istick 30 so now I'm nervous
I personally have 6 istick 30's and am absolutely comfortable with using them. they have built in protections unlike a mechanical that has none what-so-ever. In my opinion, the isticks are no more dangerous than your cell phone.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
I personally have 6 istick 30's and am absolutely comfortable with using them. they have built in protections unlike a mechanical that has none what-so-ever. In my opinion, the isticks are no more dangerous than your cell phone.

Except that i don't ask for 14A from a cellphone.

Nor are cellphone makers expected to educate customers on usage. I see tons of posts here where vape shop owners are expected to fill in a gap that 13 years at school could not!

T

Tortus

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2015
See I've been doing that. thats why I chose the istick 30 because so many on here recommend it. I'm not looking to make big clouds I don't know about air flow I just want something to keep me off cigarettes while upgrading from the kanger evod 2
You can actually get the istick 40w cheaper than the 30w and it has a temp control option if you ever go that route. I got mine for under $30 shipped from MFS with a coupon code.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
You can actually get the istick 40w cheaper than the 30w and it has a temp control option if you ever go that route. I got mine for under $30 shipped from MFS with a coupon code.

You neglected to tell us about your battery safety or precautions you would take. i suppose those are irrelevant to your buying decisions.
Compared to saving a bit of cash.

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread