FDA and e-cigarettes: Your action needed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sugismimi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
SOUTH CAROLINA
Something is wrong with the site. at first i thought it may be the links, but its not .
ive tried all the links fron CASAA, and Smokeyjoe's. nothing it just keeps saying loading, but nothing.
i went straight to it from google browser and the same thing.

ill try again later.

it's a conspiracy, they jammed it up so we couldnt be heard.....

just kidding!!!

JudeD

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2012
PA
This is what I'm sharing with the FDA-

I am writing to you to ask you not to kill me and take me away from my husband and daughters. I smoked cigarettes for thirty years. I knew I had to quit and I wanted to for my family and myself. I tried various methods to quit, including Chantix and nicotine replacement. The Chantix helped me quit for a couple of months, despite the nausea and nightmares, but I craved cigarettes every day of those few months and finally gave into the cravings. The nicotine replacement products didn’t help me at all. Then I tried an electronic cigarette thinking it might help me when I couldn’t enjoy a tobacco cigarette. By my third day, I was no longer smoking. I haven’t had a tobacco cigarette in eight months. And I have no desire to have one. I can breathe easily again. I can climb stairs, I can walk and exercise and sing without struggling for breath. My lungs, heart, and general health have improved greatly. The flavors offered for electronic cigarettes are vital because once you have tried them, you won’t ever want to go back to the vile taste of tobacco products. I can’t even use the tobacco flavorings. Electronic cigarettes shouldn’t be regulated as tobacco products because they don’t contain tobacco. And they don’t produce smoke into our lungs and the atmosphere. They are a nicotine delivery system that eliminates the hundreds of harmful chemicals in cigarettes while still satisfying the hand to mouth habit smokers can’t give up. They are a lifesaver for many and can save millions more. Please don’t regulate the nicotine levels and the availability and cause all the smokers who have finally been able to get their lives back to start smoking tobacco again. Let me live to enjoy my grandchildren.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Apologies - I didn't realize that there was third thread on this when I posted the updated link in the other two posts. Thank you, markfm for posting the updated link.

Elaine spent some time on the phone with them this morning and found out that when the original deadline passed yesterday, they created a whole new docket number rather than keep the old one up (that's government efficiency for you, lol!)

Here is the NEW link again for comments: Regulations.gov

Cindylu

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Northville, MI
I will definitely submit mine both ways tomorrow. I will have plenty to say about my success and better health, physically and mentally. Also, since I started vaping 3 months ago I have had the pleasure of helping some family and friends quit smoking and start vaping, with 100% success rate for the ones that have chose their device and method (14 people so far cigarette free). I will definitely pass this on to them as I'm sure they will want to help. Thanks for posting this smokeyjoe!

AutumnWolf

Absinthe Minded Diva!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Florissant, MO
YAY! It worked! Here it is folks if anyone is interested in reading it...

Your Comment Tracking Number: 1jx-82wp-btc5

DATE: 1/3/2013
RE: Docket No. FDA-2012-N-1148

Dear FDA,
My name is Lisa Forir and I would like to share my success story with you. July 13, 2011 was the day I SAVED MY LIFE! This was the day that I quit smoking cigarettes and started vaping e-cigarettes. I started smoking at age 25 due to a very stressful job environment. I tried to quit many, many times over the years, to no avail. I used ALL of the "FDA approved" smoking cessation products - Zyban, Chantix, the patch, nicotine gum - NOTHING WORKED! Of course, I tried cold turkey too - no way. All made me terribly irritable, anxious, cranky, depressed and basically unable to function. So, I gave up - told myself I could not do it and resigned myself to being a smoker for the rest of my life. Then one day I read an article online that lead me to the ECF - Electronic Cigarette Forum. This is an amazing forum which contains a wealth of information about the benefits of vaping e-cigs - and a community of hundreds of thousands of EX-SMOKERS who have sucessfully kicked the habit by making the switch to e-cigs. So I did some research and decided to try to quit smoking one more time. I AM SO GLAD I DID! It was so EASY! The day I received my first kit I knew - THIS WAS GOING TO WORK. After three days I threw away my cigarette case and a half-carton of cigarettes - and I NEVER LOOKED BACK. There were no side effects, no irritability, no depression - just great tasting liquid (NO MORE HARMFUL THAN ANY OF YOUR "FDA APPROVED" NICOTINE CESSATION PRODUCTS) which produces clouds of harmless water vapor and satisfies every urge I have to smoke. And all of the different flavors available help me too because it gives me choices, keeps it fresh for me, and KEEPS ME AWAY FROM CIGARETTES!

And who would have imagined that 540 DAYS LATER (today) this 47 year old, 20 year, 2-1/2 pack a day smoker would still be smoke free. It is truly a MIRACLE. And since I quit smoking and started vaping, my asthma has improved, I don't have heart palpitations anymore (which my doctor told me was most likely a precursor to heart disease), I no longer cough my head off every day, I can laugh without having a coughing fit that leaves me barely able to draw a breath - and not only that - I don't stink like cigarette smoke and I don't taste like an ashtray! I cannot begin to tell you how proud I am of my accomplishment! I KNOW that I will be smoke free FOREVER thanks to vaping electronic cigarettes.

I sincerely hope that you will take into consideration all of the comments you are receiving in regards to Docket No. FDA-2012-N-1148. My comments, personal beliefs and my appeal to you to please do the right thing and keep electronic cigarettes available to all who want to quit smoking and save their lives can be found below.

I do not think there should be a time limit on using NRTs - I believe it would be much better to raise the amount of nicotine each piece provides than to have people use multiple types of products. It is also my belief that e-cigarettes would be less effective in helping people quit smoking altogether if the nicotine content was regulated by you and lowered.

I BEG YOU FDA - please do NOT propose the "deeming" regulation because it would ban these life saving devices and even if you, FDA, exempted e-cigarettes from the provisions in Chapter IX, it would still raise the prices and reduce accessibility to many of us who would then be FORCED to go back to smoking and back to slowly killing ourselves.

And finally, PLEASE remove ALL of the information from your website that is either false, inaccurate or misleading. This false information ALREADY has too many smokers believing that vaping e-cigs causes cancer and that is only because your website FAILS TO DISCLOSE that the liquid used in electronic cigarettes is NO LESS HARMFUL THAN ANY OF YOUR "FDA APPROVED NICOTINE CESSATION PRODUCTS".

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my comments.

Sincerely,

Lisa A. Forir
Ex-Smoker, Former-Smoker, NON-SMOKER
St. Louis, Missouri

Last edited:

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
The reason why many folks couldn't submit comments to the FDA was because the FDA's original docket for comments closed January 2, and the FDA just announced today in the Federal Register that comments would be extended until Jan. 16 (but the FDA created a new docket for comments submitted between Jan. 3 and Jan 16.

The new docket to submit comments (and the FDA announcement today that the comment period would be extended till Jan 16 is at
Regulations.gov

Interestingly, the FDA announced at the December 17 public hearing that the public comment period would be extended till Jan 16 (they claimed they made a mistake in the original announcement of the Jan. 2 deadline, but the agency waited until today to make this announcement official, which required the agency to create a new docket.

Seems like the FDA doesn't want the public to make comments, as it knows that virtually nobody reads the Federal Register notices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread