FDA to send Section 918 report to Congress on Monday (will include e-cigs)

Discussion in 'Legislation News' started by Bill Godshall, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. markfm

markfm Aussie Pup Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
  2. Vapor Vinny

Vapor Vinny Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 18, 2009
    Lawrence, Kansas
    Can anyone discern a timeline as to a definitive decision from all of this?

3. Ravensfan

Ravensfan Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 1, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    After reading that whole thing, it basically appears that the FDA is telling Congress they can do a lot of things, but it sounds like they are looking for some sort of word from Congress before they do anything. Basically they are waiting for BT to make their contributions to our elected officials and then they can ban everything that BT wants banned, and let them monopolize the e-cig industry since they are the only ones that can afford to keep up with the regulations.

4. jamie

jamie Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 3, 2008
    USA
    I see from reading Bill's link that the American Cancer Society (ACS) remains wedded to pharma solutions, to conflating smoking with any tobacco or nicotine use, and to Quit or Die.

They might be "open to the possiblity of learning more," apparently not actually working to do so. But they'll keep thinking about the possibility of being open to learning. Maybe do a special fundraising campaign to insure they can afford the additional thinking.

5. markfm

markfm Aussie Pup Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I thought the report was better than it might have been. Not a rousing endorsement of PV, but it at least seems to acknowledge that there may be reasonable alternatives to quit-or-die.

6. DanFromRioRancho

DanFromRioRancho Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 23, 2013
    Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Page 15;

".....the current warnings and directions .... limit the effectiveness of OTC NRT products for some consumers, including .......individuals who may have difficulty adhering to the labeled regimen for use (e.g., individuals affected by mental illness)."

That's nice.....

7. Dave_in_OK

Dave_in_OK Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    San Antonio Texas
    Bill thanks for the link read your testimony Great job!

8. Dave_in_OK

Dave_in_OK Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    San Antonio Texas
    Thanks for the link!

Looks to me like the FDA is wants to use the dual use (some one who smokes and vapes) as justification for upcoming regulations.

Seems we have two groups to fight those in the we must protect our cash cow camp and those with the quit or die approach. Although they have different end goals both see us (vapers) as the immediate threat to them.

9. Vocalek

Vocalek CASAA Activist ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 7, 2009
    Springfield, VA
    They should have clarified that many people with mental illnesses keep their symptoms under control by continued use of nicotine (so they ignore the labeling). The way they worded it makes it appear they are saying that folks with mental illness are too crazy (or too stupid) to understand the labeling.

10. Vocalek

Supporting member
    Apr 7, 2009
    Springfield, VA
  11. Elnroth

Elnroth Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 10, 2012
    Philadelphia
  12. Renolizzie

Renolizzie Vaping Master ECF Veteran

They certainly played their cards close to their vest in this report. All they said was what they could do and they tried hard not to give any clues as to what they would do.

13. Petrodus

Petrodus Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2010
    Midwest
    You can just imagine my surprise (sarcasm)

14. Ravensfan

Ravensfan Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 1, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    That's because they have no idea what they are going to do yet. While the FDA is independent from Congress, that is where they get their marching orders from. You have to give these 535 men and women time to gather their kickbacks and make their personal investments in the companies that are going to be winners and short the companies that are going to be losers. That's called insider trading. It's completely illegal for us peons (ask Martha Stewart), but perfectly legal for members of Congress. Why do you think these congressmen spend millions to get a job that pays $174,000 a year?

15. DanFromRioRancho

DanFromRioRancho Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 23, 2013
    Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Concerned, yes. Surprised, no.

16. Petrodus

Petrodus Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2010
    Midwest
    Career Politicians

17. Vocalek

Supporting member
    Apr 7, 2009
    Springfield, VA
    I sent this email message to the Center for Tobacco Products (CTP):

18. Vocalek

Supporting member
    Apr 7, 2009
    Springfield, VA
    I received this response today from the CTP

19. Berylanna

Berylanna Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

So, did they just effectively admit they don't take them into account?

20. Apptiger

Apptiger Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    West Central Florida
    Sorry, I didn't get to read all of the report but here is what I gathered so far.

-FDA doesn't know how to categorize vaping so they are not sure which regualtions or how to apply them under what rule, regualtion or law.
    - FDA says people could vape and smoke or vape for a while and go back to smoking. There is no guarantee associated that people will quit for good so they must not be effective. Really???? You mean people could CHOOSE to do something??? Never mind the abysmal failure rate of big pharm.
    - They believe nicotine in all forms is just a continuation of an addiction and they don't believe in harm reduction becasue no manufacturer has proved to them it is. Translation: none has spent the million or two for us to study it.
    - They so badly want to classify E-cigs as drug delivery devices but can't ...yet.
    -They can regulate nicotine in cigarettes but can't with e-cigs unless they are fully classified as a cigarette/tobacco product. Translate we can ban nicotine and render the e-cig pointless as a method for harm reduction or gateway to quitting.
    Despite the growing mountain of evidence.
    - The comments of vapers and the public don't matter.
    -They keep talking about stakeholders - why don't they just say big pharma and big tob and big tax? I guess we are not stakeholders. At least not important ones.

On one hand they say lower nicotine is less addcitive and the other they say lower nic doesn't matter. Still harmful and a tobacco product.

They are still looking for ways to legally regulate and aren't sure it fits into any current category or. They are waiting for the politicians to tell them how to go about regulating/pass a law.

Sounds to me like it's time for an all out campaign to congress??

Please correct me if I read this wrong or missed something. I went through it very quickly.

edit- sorry no time to correct the spelling

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.