Status
Not open for further replies.

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
I'm really hung up on this sign. If the point is that all products containing nicotine extracted from a tobacco plant are prohibited at HHS, surely the patch, gum and lozenges should be taboo as well. After all, Glaxo isn't boiling tomatos to make Nicorette.

Thanks for the links. Working my way through slowly. Interesting stuff.

So if I was vaping a zero nicotine juice in my ecig id be just fine? Tobacco free

Youssefa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2009
Gainesville, FL USA
I'm really hung up on this sign. If the point is that all products containing nicotine extracted from a tobacco plant are prohibited at HHS, surely the patch, gum and lozenges should be taboo as well. After all, Glaxo isn't boiling tomatos to make Nicorette.

Thanks for the links. Working my way through slowly. Interesting stuff.

That is the point I am making, Glaxo has way more money than Philip Morris, So their products ARE allowed.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
Checking in.

I am sorry to realize that I found out about this too late and it has already gone down. I am just finding out about this now, at 2am. I have gone back through 2 posts but I am just too tired to continue. If anyone would LIKE to sum up everything that has transpired from this, that would be lovely. If I gave up 5-6 pages too soon to read a sum-up, I will come back to this thread tomorrow and continue reading on. Thank you to anyone and everyone that 1. brought this to our attention 2. attended the meeting 3. contributed to our side of the fight. 4. etc. etc. etc, a million times, thank you all!!!

I hope this isn't anywhere near "the" end, dear friends. There is no end in sight in my opinion.

FunInAlaska

Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Alaska
I apologize if this was already been addressed in this thread.
Is there somewhere a complete written transcript of this meeting?
I personally am in an area where anything resembling a broadband Internet connection fast enough to stream video.
For me being able to download a PDF to txt file to read and refer to when discussing these proceedings.

Thank you in advance for the help

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
So I watched all of the presentations today, and I think this COULD be a day we all look back on and say this was the turning point...

We had three groups, often with competing interests, all coming together to agree on something.
Big Pharma, Big Tobacco, and The Rest of Us Who Don't Want to Die.

We all agreed that the FDA should recognize that nicotine is not the devil, and never really was.
We all agreed that smoke is what kills, and everything else is just a footnote.

Will the FDA listen? Will they care? And what about the ANTZ now?

cigarbabe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2010
Residing in Henniker, NH
vaperstv
So I watched all of the presentations today, and I think this COULD be a day we all look back on and say this was the turning point...

We had three groups, often with competing interests, all coming together to agree on something.
Big Pharma, Big Tobacco, and The Rest of Us Who Don't Want to Die.

We all agreed that the FDA should recognize that nicotine is not the devil, and never really was.
We all agreed that smoke is what kills, and everything else is just a footnote.

Will the FDA listen? Will they care? And what about the ANTZ now?

Uh probably not sadly. We may get a few laughs from more of the nonsense they spew though it is sometimes hard to laugh about this stuff because these folks are so thoroughly indoctrinated and uninformed.
Here is what I think could happen and I'm only half serious.
If the ANTZ and the FDA stop complaining and lying about THR and vaping then they will have little to no funding for jobs, phony studies, articles and no kids to manipulate through their "mentoring programs". I'd be willing to bet that J $ J and their foundations for propaganda about most everything like "The Really Wonderful Way to Lie and Hide Facts Foundation" aka {R.W.J. Foundation} will probably move on to booze, safer "Lemon Pledge" "Dusting can be lethal" {if you use our products!} and the right way to pick your nose and continuing trying to tell you that contraceptives are safe....unless they make them because they are after all a "Johnson & Johnson Family company"!
just a tiny rant perhaps?
Link to the J$J lawsuits FDA link
J&J Paid $68 Million to Settle Birth-Control Cases (Update3) - Bloomberg

happened to see the live feed for a while, they kept asking for scientific studies on health issues for long term effects etc but analogs cause cancer and they still approved it? Sighs

I don't believe that has ever been proven by any study.
C.B.

Last edited:

ByStander1

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2011
West Virginia
THANK YOU LORI MCCLUNG!!! Listen to her comments.... she hit it exactly everything that is important to vapers and smokers who are tired of being kicked to "QUIT"

I had a wonderful time! Truly, I encourage everyone to participate in this sort of circus at least once. Normally, you have to pay to witness shows like this. :pop:

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
From that last post I am getting that... We may not be in any serious trouble at the moment?
I think that's a safe bet. This has been going on for as long as I have been a member here. Fear spreads quicker when you first start vaping because we don't want to lose the thing that keeps us off cigarettes. Besides paying a few extra dollars in taxes(Which should have already happened by now IMO),e-cigs are here to stay.

:)Wiz!

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
From what I understand, it's the long term effects of inhaling these components for long periods of time at once. Kind of like how carrots are safe, but if you started mainlining carrot juice, it would raise some eyebrows. Extreme example to clarify the point, but in the end, it comes down to big tobacco lobbying, in my opinion.

That's what they SAY. Want to know the truth? Two reasons (1) it LOOKS like smoking and they want to denormalize and demonize tobacco and smoking. So anything that isn't bad for you that still looks like smoking is bad in their twisted little brains and (2) they are more concerned about "saving" people from nicotine addiction than they are saving lives by getting people to quit exposing themselves to smoke. That is made very clear watching the hearing videos.

AND it's "Big Pharma" and its paid shills like the ALA, ACS and CFTFK lobbying, NOT "Big Tobacco."

It's important to know who the REAL enemy is.

So if I was vaping a zero nicotine juice in my ecig id be just fine? Tobacco free

That's honestly a valid and great point except for #1 listed above AND they've found nicotine in e-cigarettes labeled as 0 mg.

Checking in.

I am sorry to realize that I found out about this too late and it has already gone down. I am just finding out about this now, at 2am. I have gone back through 2 posts but I am just too tired to continue. If anyone would LIKE to sum up everything that has transpired from this, that would be lovely. If I gave up 5-6 pages too soon to read a sum-up, I will come back to this thread tomorrow and continue reading on. Thank you to anyone and everyone that 1. brought this to our attention 2. attended the meeting 3. contributed to our side of the fight. 4. etc. etc. etc, a million times, thank you all!!!

I hope this isn't anywhere near "the" end, dear friends. There is no end in sight in my opinion.

CASAA: CASAA testifies at FDA hearing

I had a wonderful time! Truly, I encourage everyone to participate in this sort of circus at least once. Normally, you have to pay to witness shows like this. :pop:

Join CASAA and we'll keep the entertainment coming with plenty of these things for you! ;)

Last edited:

NorthOfAtlanta

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Canton, GA
I think that's a safe bet. This has been going on for as long as I have been a member here. Fear spreads quicker when you first start vaping because we don't want to lose the thing that keeps us off cigarettes. Besides paying a few extra dollars in taxes(Which should have already happened by now IMO),e-cigs are here to stay.

Wiz, the only way they should be able to add anything in the way of sin taxes to a product that has proven to be of such a low risk so far is if they apply the same to coffee and caffeine containing products. To the best of my knowledge energy drinks have caused more deaths and hospitalizations then E-cigarettes as they can be ingested without causing the quick return to sender that nicotine causes. Sales and normal commerce taxes, yes, but that applies to anything sold on the web and is something that all governments have to deal with.

There is only one reason that Big Pharma and their bedmates in government want to see high taxes on these products, loss of income to both as there is no proven health reason for them.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
I'm duping the files over to MPEG4 encoded AVI, likely easier to view for some people. Enjoying getting a chance to see some of the presentations I missed originally :)

Loving the CC -- "we are thinking about some people who can benefit from those stocks" -- panel member comments after a speaker urged removing Chantix approval (typo or misspoken, but still classic :) )

Last edited:

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
Wiz, the only way they should be able to add anything in the way of sin taxes to a product that has proven to be of such a low risk so far is if they apply the same to coffee and caffeine containing products. To the best of my knowledge energy drinks have caused more deaths and hospitalizations then E-cigarettes as they can be ingested without causing the quick return to sender that nicotine causes. Sales and normal commerce taxes, yes, but that applies to anything sold on the web and is something that all governments have to deal with.

There is only one reason that Big Pharma and their bedmates in government want to see high taxes on these products, loss of income to both as there is no proven health reason for them.
Point taken NOA! I was more or less referring to a sales tax than higer taxes based on a low risk product like e-cigs. I do agree that energy drinks cuase a greater health risk. As a snuff user I have already seen the effects of "sin taxes". Unless e-cigs are labeled permenantly as a tobbacco product I would not expect those taxes to apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread