Good news for Canadians and pressure on the US to follow suit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBalkam

Apr 29, 2016
So vaping is now LEGAL in Canada. Limits apply to protect minors, of course, but nothing that really affects adult vapors. This should, if traditional trending holds true, mean the US will follow suit. They (US Gov) pretty much has to, to save face and not seem like cave dwellers living in "The Land of the Lost"

Here's the news cast via facebook..

Nova Scotia Vapers Public Group | Facebook

GBalkam

Apr 29, 2016
I am not sure if the USA will follow us to the letter, but I hope it makes the FDA rethink their position for our friends south of the border.
Well you know how (no offense) arrogant some in the US Gov can be. God forbid Canada get one up on them. lol. You know, the whole "We are the greatest, we are the most enlightened, we are the most free" thing. Canada having a freedom that the US doesn't have isn't going to sit well with Mr and Mrs John Q Public. (Get the rope Ned! We got some pole cats whut needs hangin) will change a few political views on vaping I am sure. This is just a more entertaining way to say "HEY.. Canada can vape, what's wrong with YOU clowns that are supposed to be looking out for OUR best interest? That's why we elected you, now get busy doing it!"

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Vaping isn't illegal in the US. It is restricted to adults with age verification required. There are now regulations regarding obtaining FDA approval to sell new products, and a requirement that all products submit an application for approval by 2018. Lots of anxiety about it and how it will be implemented, but there are still several paths to prevent it from being a total vapocalypse. If it does become a vapocalypse, it will merely be another reason to relocate to Canada. Assuming we're not in the midst of a nuclear winter.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
So vaping is now LEGAL in Canada.

It was never illegal to vape. What was technically "illegal" was the selling of e-liquids containing nicotine. And until the bill actually makes it through Parliament, the Health Canada rules are still in effect.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
So vaping is now LEGAL in Canada. Limits apply to protect minors, of course, but nothing that really affects adult vapors. This should, if traditional trending holds true, mean the US will follow suit. They (US Gov) pretty much has to, to save face and not seem like cave dwellers living in "The Land of the Lost"

Here's the news cast via facebook..

Nova Scotia Vapers Public Group | Facebook
I watched the video. If I was assured of access to the hardware I choose and nicotine my interests are covered. Restricting flavors is a problem for juice makers but if you must have fancy flavors then make your own juice. Does the Canadian legislation try to interfere with DIY for personal use? What I heard sounds promising.

But I can't move to Canada because I can't ride a snowmobile and drink beer at the same time.

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Off topic and not germane to the discussion

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Off topic and not germane to the discussion

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
[Removed]

Regarding vaping being "legal" in Canada, whatever. Good to ensure future availability of hardware, I guess.

Provincially, ejuice will be taxed substantially, labels will likely have to to be plain and be plastered with government warnings and who knows if nic level and bottles sizes will be capped.

Anyone in Canada that truly believes in a few years we will still be buying $100 (CAD) litres of 100mg nic and only paying HST on store bought ejuice is dreaming IMO.

Good news, but still a long uncertain road ahead IMO.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
[Removed]

Regarding vaping being "legal" in Canada, whatever. Good to ensure future availability of hardware, I guess.

Provincially, ejuice will be taxed substantially, labels will likely have to to be plain and be plastered with government warnings and who knows if nic level and bottles sizes will be capped.

Anyone in Canada that truly believes in a few years we will still be buying $100 (CAD) litres of 100mg nic and only paying HST on store bought ejuice is dreaming IMO.

Good news, but still a long uncertain road ahead IMO.
No matter what Trump decides to do with vaping I'm going to be stocked up. An easy decision because what I need for 10 years (and may be 20 if nic lasts indefinitely) only sets me back $650, an amount I used to spend for 3 months of smoking. People who collect taxes are usually pretty good at figuring out how practical it will be to collect a particular tax and how much tax revenue it will create. If I have access to the vaping supplies I need with no excise tax my cost is less than $100 a year. A 100% tax on $100 is still chump change. But I won't be needing to think about that for 10 or 20 years. May be the Canadian government is realizing the futility of trying to stamp out vaping. They can fiddle with flavoring in commercial pre mix to appease the nanny's. I'm convinced the kids are drawn to the clouds, not flavors or nic.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
No matter what Trump decides to do with vaping I'm going to be stocked up. An easy decision because what I need for 10 years (and may be 20 if nic lasts indefinitely) only sets me back $650, an amount I used to spend for 3 months of smoking. People who collect taxes are usually pretty good at figuring out how practical it will be to collect a particular tax and how much tax revenue it will create. If I have access to the vaping supplies I need with no excise tax my cost is less than $100 a year. A 100% tax on $100 is still chump change. But I won't be needing to think about that for 10 or 20 years. May be the Canadian government is realizing the futility of trying to stamp out vaping. They can fiddle with flavoring in commercial pre mix to appease the nanny's. I'm convinced the kids are drawn to the clouds, not flavors or nic.
Agreed.

A government like ours in Canada that is about to legalize (not just decriminalize) the green stuff would look awfully dumb making vaping illegal. Just won't happen. Health Canada is pretty conservative but tend to do the right thing historically when it comes to public health. More of an all-encompassing national view on all aspects of health than the FDA to say the least.

It is all about taxation. Expecially if vaping cuts into the insanely high and lucrative cigarette taxes. A "sin" tax is coming, it is just a matter of how much per millilitre of eliquid

Not sure if Canada or the provinces will ban flavours and I doubt they will bother, but I would be shocked if they don't ban the cute pictures on labels and make the labels of ejuice similar to cigarette packaging. Same with "Joe Camel" style advertising.

I almost never see ejuice in Canada stronger than 12mg, so I doubt a nic strength ceiling would be a problem for most.

Reactions: Super Flex

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Agreed.

A government like ours in Canada that is about to legalize (not just decriminalize) the green stuff would look awfully dumb making vaping illegal. Just won't happen. Health Canada is pretty conservative but tend to do the right thing historically when it comes to public health. More of an all-encompassing national view on all aspects of health than the FDA to say the least.

It is all about taxation. Expecially if vaping cuts into the insanely high and lucrative cigarette taxes. A "sin" tax is coming, it is just a matter of how much per millilitre of eliquid

Not sure if Canada or the provinces will ban flavours and I doubt they will bother, but I would be shocked if they don't ban the cute pictures on labels and make the labels of ejuice similar to cigarette packaging. Same with "Joe Camel" style advertising.

I almost never see ejuice in Canada stronger than 12mg, so I doubt a nic strength ceiling would be a problem for most.
DIY is where most eliquid will happen regardless of government. The driver is cost. A $50 (US) bottle of 100 mg has 100,000 mg of nic, the same as the smoke from 5,000 packs of cigarettes. PG and VG are dirt cheap commodities. Flavoring doesn't have to be expensive. My DIY cost of materials is 1.2 cents per ml, about 8 cents a day, about $30 a year. May be plenty of people are willing to pay 50 cents per ml for premix today but that's going to get old eventually. A lot of kids, who smoked little or none don't care about nic, don't need it in their vape. There's no stopping them from buying the other three ingredients and why should we? I've said many times I wish ecigs had been around when I was a kid. Regardless, don't sell anything to kids if their parents might not approve but let parents decide if their kids can vape--off school property of course.

BTW I bought a 120 ml bottle of all in one flavoring for about $14. I use it at 1% so one ml flavoring per 100 ml of e liquid. It tastes fine. I vape something less than 200 ml per month so that bottle of flavoring could last me 60 months, 5 years if it doesn't spoil. Basically vaping is free. It's hard to tax free.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
DIY is where most eliquid will happen regardless of government. The driver is cost. A $50 (US) bottle of 100 mg has 100,000 mg of nic, the same as the smoke from 5,000 packs of cigarettes. PG and VG are dirt cheap commodities. Flavoring doesn't have to be expensive. My DIY cost of materials is 1.2 cents per ml, about 8 cents a day, about $30 a year. May be plenty of people are willing to pay 50 cents per ml for premix today but that's going to get old eventually. A lot of kids, who smoked little or none don't care about nic, don't need it in their vape. There's no stopping them from buying the other three ingredients and why should we? I've said many times I wish ecigs had been around when I was a kid. Regardless, don't sell anything to kids if their parents might not approve but let parents decide if their kids can vape--off school property of course.

BTW I bought a 120 ml bottle of all in one flavoring for about $14. I use it at 1% so one ml flavoring per 100 ml of e liquid. It tastes fine. I vape something less than 200 ml per month so that bottle of flavoring could last me 60 months, 5 years if it doesn't spoil. Basically vaping is free. It's hard to tax free.
I agree with most of the above, but you are forgetting that DIYers are a VERY VERY small portion of vapers in Canada and this will only decrease moving forward.

DIY is DEFINATELY NOT where most eliquid will happen.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas

Phooey. 12mg is half of what I require in my e-liquids and generally, I was able to find 24mg e-liquids easily in Canada. If the government goes through with a limit to how much nicotine an e-liquid can contain, I'd imagine a resurgence of orders coming across the border again.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I agree with most of the above, but you are forgetting that DIYers are a VERY VERY small portion of vapers in Canada and this will only decrease moving forward.

DIY is DEFINATELY NOT where most eliquid will happen.
A minority of US vapers DIY. I have no idea what the percent is but believe it will increase. I believe everyone who intends to be a life long vaper will be mixing and rebuilding sooner or later. Why are you so sure DIY will decrease in Canada?

You believe Canada will impose high taxes. Isn't that another incentive for Canadians to do DIY?

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
Unfortunately limiting nic will deter some smokers from quitting.
My logic is if a newby cannot get the monkey off their back with the maximum allowable nic (whatever that is...say 12mg).
They will need to upgrade their equipment at a much higher cost than just grabbing a bottle of 18 or 24mg liquid.
Some may not be willing to drop the big bucks and might just ditch the vape. IMO. Cheers.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
You believe Canada will impose high taxes. Isn't that another incentive for Canadians to do DIY?

EVERYTHING is taxed through the nose and other bodily orifices. It won't matter if you DIY or not. Once RevCan figures out what they can nail in the process, it'll be taxed.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
EVERYTHING is taxed through the nose and other bodily orifices. It won't matter if you DIY or not. Once RevCan figures out what they can nail in the process, it'll be taxed.
And here is the problem they face. Let's assume they want ecigs to be tax revenue neutral, meaning a vaper pays the same tax as he used to pay for smoking. I spent $3,000 a year to smoke in michigan. Half of that went for taxes. A $50 (US) bottle of nic lasts me 4 years. To get the taxes I used to pay smoking that bottle would have to have a $6,000 tax. If I can't buy that bottle who can? Somebody has to mix eliquid or it's effectively banned. I''''m not noticing the Canadian proposals include super strict controls on nicotine for mixing. The spread between $50 and $6,000 is several orders of magnitude. If they try to collect even a fraction of that a robust black market is garranteed.

Reactions: GeorgeS

GBalkam

Apr 29, 2016
It was never illegal to vape. What was technically "illegal" was the selling of e-liquids containing nicotine. And until the bill actually makes it through Parliament, the Health Canada rules are still in effect.
Yeah, we know. Lets not nitpik details. It is (until this gets final around June next year) still illegal to import nicotine, to vape in vape shops, however this new legislation will LEGALIZE all these aspects of vaping and set down an acceptable method of keeping it away from kids. Mind you, one would think the fact that you have to be 18 to enter a vape shop would be enough.. but apparently not.

Reactions: beckdg

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
A minority of US vapers DIY. I have no idea what the percent is but believe it will increase. I believe everyone who intends to be a life long vaper will be mixing and rebuilding sooner or later. Why are you so sure DIY will decrease in Canada?

I believe 100mg nic will prove to be very difficult to obtain in the coming years. If the DIY nic supply is cut off or taxed substantially, I don't see DIA adaption increasing.

No idea about rebuilding as mods and tanks aren't really on the Canadian Government's radar from what I have seen. No silly deeming regs and I don't see that being replicated here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread