HARSH VAPOR, lots of coughing & can't breathe! Newbie Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

enadrown

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2009
Salina, Kansas
I decided it was time to try an e-cig and bought a 510 Titan kit from Totally Wicked, some extra carts, and 30ml bottle of 36 mg menthol juice. I was so excited, still am, but am having some issues with vaping. I am 23 and have been smoking 1.5-3 packs of Kool's a day for years.

The only word to describe my vaping so far is harsh. I got the kit yesterday at noon, harsh from the get go, use the wet carts at first. Kept them topped off, didn't vape too long, didn't take big hits, didn't vape for long periods of time without letting the atty cool down and my lungs HURT. This morning I changed atty's and it seemed a lot better like it was a bad atty. It also got a little better when I totally removed the carts fiber-fill and dripped on the atty. But it is still harsh, it hurts to breath, makes me cough, and I have to take super small draws to even get it in my lungs.

Being a heavy smoker, average is 2 packs a day, I wouldn't have thought that it would be so hard to smoke the vapor.

Is this normal? Does the vapor make everyone choke and sputter? I have only smoked two cigs, am getting my nicotine fix, but CANNOT BREATHE, it hurts, smoking an analog cigarette is REFRESHING right now:(. I had a good run today when I sat at the computer and did it for 30 or so minutes straight after changing from the atty that was harsh from the first minute, thats the only time it didn't make me cough.

How long should an atty last, would they be bad already after 1 day? Someone please throw some ideas out there, I like this and REALLY want/need it to work!! Thanks!

I have some juice on the way from Dawn, and we'll see if it's possibly the juice.

Imagine those morning when you wake up and just can't breathe, that's what the vaping is doing to me right now. Immediately after I started shouldn't be analog withdraws yet?

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
Hi En

it could be the juice youre using. what mg is it?

it also can be that the atty needs to be broken in. Some attys have primer on them that needs to burn off. This can cause harsh throat hits.

Vaping shouldnt burn or make you cough. There is a short time though to get use to it as its not like cig smoke and cause burn a little at first but yours sounds like more than usual.

Dripping was good. make sure you place several drops of liquid down the atty on the bridge of the atty and then place your cart back on.

Like I said, it might just be the eliquid youre using,

You can cut it down a bit using vegtable glycerin which will give you also a smoother vape..

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Could very well be the PG. It is rare, but some people just can't get used to it or can't seem to tolerate it. A friend's mother just had to stop using an e-cig since she coughed every time she tried to take in the vapor. She refused to try other liquid (VG).

My sister took a hit off of my e-cig and coughed (and she smokes some "other" stuff that'd make anyone cough!).

You might want to try buying a bottle of plain Vegetable Glycerin. Cleaning out a cartridge, and try vaping that (thin very slightly with a bit of distilled water). If you do ok with it, you may need to switch to a VG liquid.

Elapid

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2009
Mississippi
If I had judged the e-cig by the first few timers I used them I might have given up on them. But I was determined to help out my lungs and continued until I ended up breaking in the atomizer and developing my vaping technique. There is a learning curve you have to go through to get the most from your e-cig. Do the same and you will get the technique down and your atomizer broken in. I promise you that you will be glad you did in the long run.

Best of luck, Elapid---<

MaxUT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
Ogden, UT, US
"harsh from the get go"

Could be the primer in the atomizers, some of that stuff is extremely nasty and gives a harsh taste. I've taken to washing them out before using them, just in case.
Could also be some cartridge filler stuck to the atomizer mesh and melted on it.

I would do this:

Take the atomizer off and blow the remaining liquid out into a paper towel. I always blow into the cart side to do this.

Soak the atomizer in hot water for a few minutes, sling the water out of it and lay it on its side to dry.

Put it on a battery and do a dry burn. Look into the atomizer and hold the battery button down. Let it come to red heat and hold it there for several seconds. Let it cool down.

Prime the atty with 3 drops of e-liquid, let it soak in for a couple minutes, then put on a full cartridge and give it a try. It may still take some time to get the last of the bad taste out so I wouldn't inhale the first few puffs.

enadrown

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2009
Salina, Kansas
thanks for all the replys, I am going to clean atty's and pick up some vg tomorrow. After trying it again before bed I am honestly wondering if it's not some sort of allergic reaction somehow?? anyone heard of that?

like i said 36 mg totally wicked juice. i'll go get some VG tomorrow, tried to find some this morning no luck at walmart, will hit walgreens tomorrow.

can i just put plain VG on the atty to see if it is atty or juice since the other juice i ordered hasn't come in yet?

thanks again for the replys, i am definitely going to be dedicated and try to make this work even if I have to try another e-cig, which might have to wait a while due to budget issues. but i'll keep trying the 510 and suggestions! you guys are great~

Snarkyone

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Your mom said not to say...
Atomizer life differs greatly from user to user and atomizer to atomizer. Some people never clean them and get months of use others clean them and only get a month or two or only a matter of a few weeks. It varies I have 4 atomizers that I have rotated through for the last month and I have had only one failure, and one failed after I cleaned it. You just can't say with any accuracy or intelligence how long one will last. I think a good rule of thumb is to just treat them as consumable and plan on replacing them every other month or so depending on how much you use them. This way you will always have a fresh atomizer giving optimum performance and plenty of spares if need be. The people that I have talked to that do this all seem to enjoy their E-cig with few hassles. A lot of it is just getting it the head to treat the atomizers as consumables that need to be replaced much like a air filter or oil filter. It's like vaping with a new kit every month or so.

The other things mentioned were all well and good but there is one other thing. It could be that the 510 just hits too harsh for your taste and it always will. I have one and I think it hits a bit on the harsh side but it doesn't make me start into a coughing fit or anything it is just a little harsh. I like the m401's taste over the 510 that I have, it just taste better. I know of plenty others who feel the same way and the 910 provides a better taste than the 510 from what I understand. Just because it makes a ton of vapor it is not for everyone. If it's tons of vapor you want use some VG based juice or add a little to your juices. It's something to consider, the 510 does hit a bit heavy compared to the others that I mention.

Last edited:

souporvapor

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Everett, WA
some great info already...
and
36 mg is pretty high nic content
on top of what sounds like it could be a 'sensitivity' to the vapor itself.

When you figure out if it's the PG by trying VG
you might look at getting more moderate nic level.
I have 36 for 'sometimes' and when a craving for a ciggie hits me
and some 6, 18 and 24 mg.... to fill in
6 when I'm 'chain vaping' --- and 18-24 for most of the rest of the time.

Good luck -
and drink lots of water..... in addition to starting vaping you are/will be detoxing from all the poisons in .... logs.... that in itself can have side effects. (the link in my signature is to a page with links to what those side effects can be, what's in a tobacco cig and more info)

Blsssngs,
Kathy

I'm a newbie but having sampled a variety of juices (6 different PGs and all 10 of Johnson Creek's reduced PG (mixed down with VG)) 0mg, 12mg and 18mg I can say there are several factors that contribute to harshness/smoothness. Probably the most notable I can identify is the nic content. 0mg seems to have no bite/throat hit while 18mg will really give a stiff whack to your throat and thats HALF of what you're vaping. I'd recommend cutting it down significantly and then fiddling with it from there.

enadrown

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2009
Salina, Kansas
GOOD MORNING EVERYONE! Just and update, haven't made it to store yet, but plan to after a shower, I found one of the 0 nic carts sent with my pack and threw it on (without cleaning the atty) just to test and there is still a little bit of the harshness I was talking about, but not nearly as much, and not even enough to really call it harsh anymore. I think the nic level was a lot of the problem!!

Obviously i can't continue to smoke 0 nic, so i will clean atty's go get some VG and cut the hell out of the menthol.. LOL. I'm excited again!! No cigs! I am totally gonna get this figured out! You guys are GREAT!

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
Yeah.. it's kinda weird thing. I started off vaping either NHaler lung juice or ECOPure VG from my first day. Later I added some Vermont Vapor VG. And that's all I vaped for weeks.

Recently I started vaping some of the more traditional PG liquids... and then started to have all kinds of breathing and lung problems. Tightness in the chest, coughing, could hardly take any kind of a "hit" without a reaction. And at first I didn't make the connection to the PG change. Went back to the VG, and all is good.

We're all different.. eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread