HELP !! Night Sweats and insomnia.... 5 weeks now ! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

billo

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2009
Wesley Chapel, FL
Thank you, Dirgon, for your comments about OTC sleeping pills. Never knew they were all basically the same.

I've taken Sleep II (Walgreens) for years. Long before cutting back on smoking. This is Diphenhydramine, as you say.
I usually take just one pill (25 mg) although they recommend two pills (50 mg). I've found it is not addictive for me as I can sometimes take it every night for a week, then cut back to nothing for several days and can still sleep.

I'd recommend it to anyone who has trouble sleeping, especially if only occasionally. It seems to take about 1/2 hour to work, so plan ahead !

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
I'm not a woman so I can't comment on menopause. But I've had major trouble sleeping and I've had some pretty starnge dreams since I started vaping.

I am NOT suggesting that you don't need to see a doctor but you should also consider the amount of nicotine you are ingesting. Even at 12-14 mg, if your vaping all day long, you are getting way more nicotine than if you smoked a pack of cigarettes. I am amazed at some of the folks that chain vape 36mg all day and then talk about increasing. Not good at all. That is the kinda stuff the FDA/Gov't will be looking at.

I'm also concerned that many sites will default to 36mg when you order. It implies that that level is just fine and dandy for everyone. It's not. Many kits ship with 24mg, also too high to be sending out to someone just starting. Let people choose where they want to start I say.

Just my 2 cents...

Keep in mind though that the scientists who have actually looked into vaping have said we are only absorbing from 10 to 40% of that amount. That means that one ml of 12 mg would be giving you between 1.2 mg (10%) and 4.8 mg. (40%), or approximately 2.4 to 9.6 cigarettes. I typically vape 2 to 3 mls a day at most, so that would be a maximum of 28.8 cigarettes, or the most I used to smoke in one day. Add to the the fact that nicotine by itself isn't any worse than a steady diet of caffeine, and I personally can live with that.

Last edited:

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
bahahahaha..... no drugs in this system.... well other than my Cytomel Thyroid med..and now you have got me thinking...maybe it's too high a dosage since I have quit smoking...??

THAT is a very good point. Cigarette smoke does strange things to the thyroid. Mine completely crashed when I quit cold turkey for 7 months and I'm now in a hyper phase (lucky me, Hashi's and Grave's, oh joy!), which includes night sweats and insomnia. Sounds like it might be a good time to have those Ts checked.

icemanx3

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Silicon Valley, CA
Good news:
I quit smoking 5 weeks ago, have a EGO T, luuuuuuuuuuuuuv it ! Have found my daily vape, few of them actually and I am in love with vaping...have not had one drag since I got my Ego.

Bad news:
I have not slept a full night in 5 weeks. I am miserable and exhausted and have almost gotten into 2 car accidents in the past couple of days from not paying attention and being tired. Before I quit smoking I would go to bed each night at 9pm and get up at 5am, always on schedule, never drank caffeine etc... I have a good bedtime routine and I am not a night owl.
I have been waking up sweating 3-4 x each night, I used to sleep straight through 8hr not moving, now I am up and last night it was 12:30am, 2am, 4am, finally at 5am my alarm went off....UGH

I am vaping a low PG juice, I started at 24mg and am down to 12-14mg juice now. I don't feel like I am nic fitting and that is what is disrupting my sleep at all as I vape it all day and I am quite satisfied with the lower nic level.

I am 40yrs old, technically too young for menopause, but it sure a heck feels like it !!

Open to any thoughts, suggestions etc.... ready to get a pack of smokes just for one week to see if that makes a difference

Had PRECISELY the same experience. It was the 36mg and 24mg before bed. I switched to 12 starting at 9:30pm...all went back to normal. Nhaler has some juice that's super low nic and has some melatonin and herbs in it (I haven't tried that). That may do the trick. But definitely lower your nic a couple hours before nighty night.

ice

vereybowring

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2011
A Cave In Stirling, Scotland.
:yawn:
Like Dirgon I am a long term insomniac so you have my sympathies.
Also if you're lucky diphenhydramine (benadryl) would help you out without being too severe.
Definitely consult your doctor as insomnia can really ruin your life - trust me on that one I can't work at all due to it and nothing the doctors have tried helps (sometimes a good week is 8 hours sleep total) in the long term as the stronger sleep drugs are highly addictive and cause as many problems as they stop.

Try all the stuff on this webpage Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures and combinations of them.
Some nights different things work when they didn't before and sometimes the same thing works for days.

It's a ....ty thing to happen and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, everything starts to hurt and you just can't get anything done because you have no energy or concentration.

I started vaping a week ago and feel better for it already (except my pre existing insomnia of course) so stick with it and you will survive.
Take solace from someone who hardly sleeps at all - it won't kill you just make you very cranky and in most cases it does go away - really it does.

redheadone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2011
North Carolina
I just read your post and can really relate. I have been an innsomniac for years and not too long ago went through. I agree wiyh the others here I would definately have it checked out with your doctor. It could be several things from nicotine level to analog withdrawel.

I just saw your post and can really relate I have had sleeping problems for a long time. I agree with the others on here and go have it checked out It could be something simple like nicotine levels that need adjusting or analog withdrawals. But it sounds to me like menopause and it just happened to coinside with you quitting analogs I thought I was too young too when I started but I was only thirty nine To be on the safe side let the doc check it out. If it is menopause he will have you feeling better in no time Whatever the problem I hope you get to feeling better real soon.

icemanx3

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Silicon Valley, CA
I think I am going to order some 6mg strength stuff and see if that helps and try to go easy on vaping in the evenings... it's too bad cause that is when I like to vape the most.....

Thanks to everyone who responded.. I appreciate the suggestions, keep them coming :)

Keep it simple :). Try lower nic if insomnia started about when you began vaping. You'll be surprised ;)

ice

tabithad

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2011
Maine
Well last night I did a few things before I went to bed, I ripped the flannel sheets off of the bed ( I am in Northern Maine keep in mind, still cold here) and put on fresh new cotton sheets, I changed some of my pillows to smaller ones so they could not cocoon me in and hold heat in.....
I also vaped less then normal and didn't drink as much as normal.

I slept better, still woke up 2x sweating but didn't get up to use bathroom, just rolled over or threw covers off of me and back to sleep. Our room is 62 at night so it's cool and therefore I can't sleep with no covers.... after 10 min or so I want them back on and wake up again cause I am cold.... ugh....

My daughter has a dr appt today so I might get a chance to mention this to him but we are there for her, not me. Will mention it though and see if he wants me to make my own appt with him soon....

curiousJan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
Central IL
Well last night I did a few things before I went to bed, I ripped the flannel sheets off of the bed ( I am in Northern Maine keep in mind, still cold here) and put on fresh new cotton sheets, I changed some of my pillows to smaller ones so they could not cocoon me in and hold heat in.....
I also vaped less then normal and didn't drink as much as normal.

I slept better, still woke up 2x sweating but didn't get up to use bathroom, just rolled over or threw covers off of me and back to sleep. Our room is 62 at night so it's cool and therefore I can't sleep with no covers.... after 10 min or so I want them back on and wake up again cause I am cold.... ugh....

My daughter has a dr appt today so I might get a chance to mention this to him but we are there for her, not me. Will mention it though and see if he wants me to make my own appt with him soon....

I would definitely mention it to him ... my guess is he'll run your thyroid blood work to make sure that lowering your nicotine intake (and removing all those nasty other chemicals in cigarettes completely) hasn't changed the dosage necessary for your meds.

I'd also keep that nicotine as low as you can for as long as you can throughout the day (so that you could try to vape more to your liking in the evening.)

Jan's 2 cents :)

OldDragon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2010
Kansas
When I was having night sweats, turned out it was blood sugar. Now take pills for it and very seldom have the sweat. But I'm still waking after hour in bed and have to take a ibuprofen to get rid of all the little itches here and there that cause me to wake up. Had the problem even when I was smoking, so it's nothing new. Worse thing is if I take a ibuprofen just before bed, I still wake up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread