Here we go again or,extreme bad parenting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I doubt a 2 year old can read the word nicotine. The mother is at fault. Who in their right mind puts nic in a child's ibuprofen bottle.

The word Nicotine wasn't for a 2 Year Old to Read.

It was for the Dad who picked up the Bottle and then gave what He Thought was Liquid Child Ibuprofen to his 6 Year Old Daughter.

ETA: But you are Correct. Who puts Nicotine Base or an e-liquid into a Bottle made to be given to a Child.

Falco78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2014
United States
I have children, a 15 month old 2 5 year olds and a 9 year old and guess what no nicotine incidents have occurred but that's because as a parent is realize it is my job to keep chemicals away from them and keep my stuff securely locked away. Cant fix stupid...

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using MOAR 2.1b ROM running tapatalk

Last edited:

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
I doubt a 2 year old can read the word nicotine. The mother is at fault. Who in their right mind puts nic in a child's ibuprofen bottle.
Why would a six year old immediately go into convulsions with just 10 ml of liquid.
Unless it was a nic base of 10% or more even then the body would metabolize roughly
50% of the nicotine. The story suggests it was the woman's mixed product.
Another story indicates it was mixed with VG. Something fishy here.
Mike

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Why would a six year old immediately go into convulsions with just 10 ml of liquid.
Unless it was a nic base of 10% or more even then the body would metabolize roughly
50% of the nicotine. The story suggests it was the woman's mixed product.
Another story indicates it was mixed with VG. Something fishy here.
Mike

Form a little more In-depth article...

"The researchers estimated that the child consumed about 700 milligrams of liquid nicotine. Some studies have estimated that ingesting as little as 500 mg of nicotine can kill an adult. An average regular cigarette delivers about 0.2 to 2.4 mg of nicotine. [10 Scientific Quit-Smoking Tips]

In addition, a blood test done about an hour after the girl arrived at the hospital showed she had a blood level of nicotine of 348 nanograms per milliliter. The level of nicotine in the blood after an adult smokes a regular cigarette is about 12 to 54 ng/ml, the report said.

The researchers also tested the liquid nicotine that the child ingested, and they estimated that the concentration of nicotine in the original product was more than double the concentration that was listed on the product label."

Child Swallows E-Cig Liquid After Medication Mix-Up

700 Milligrams of Nicotine would roughly be 10ml of 72mg/ml Nicotine Base.

Last edited:
Reactions: skoony

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
So we know the childrens Motrin bottle supposedly had about 70 mg/ml, and also this:

The researchers also tested the liquid nicotine that the child ingested, and they estimated that the concentration of nicotine in the original product was more than double the concentration that was listed on the product label.

"This finding supports previous work demonstrating that electronic cigarette refill containers may have unreliable commercial labeling and widely variable actual nicotine concentration compared with that advertised," the researchers wrote in their report.

So what the heck did she start with, and what did she think she mixed?
Start with 100 that's really 200, aiming for18 but got 70?

But of course, most importantly, how NEGLIGENT do you have to be to put nic liquid in a medicine bottle, with your family medicine?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

So what the heck did she start with, and what did she think she mixed?
Start with 100 that's really 200, aiming for18 but got 70?

I'm not sure How Much can be Ascertained by the Labels or Stated mg/ml on them. Because it Doesn't sound like the Mom (and possibly the Dad) were very careful about making sure what was in a Bottle was what was on the Label.

If I had to guess, and that's all it is... a Guess, I would say that Mom started with 72mg/ml Nicotine Base.

Maybe the Nicotine Base came in a Plastic Container? And Mom wanted to store it in a Glass container. So she Transferred it? Or Maybe Mom didn't like the CRP Cap that the Nicotine Base came with? So Mom found Bottles with Non-CRP Caps?

Just hard to tell What Mom Did?

With the Exception of Endangering her Child thru Her Own Carelessness.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Endangering her Child thru Her Own Carelessness.

That right there is the story and the ONLY story.

I am so sick of these tabloid "news" blasts.
What ever happened to responsible journalism ??

When are we going to get back to journalists being held accountable for what they post too ?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
That right there is the story and the ONLY story.

I am so sick of these tabloid "news" blasts.
What ever happened to responsible journalism ??

When are we going to get back to journalists being held accountable for what they post too ?

I didn't think the LiveScience article was all that bad.

I did't like that they Sited a Paper that was behind a Paywall or that I had to Login-In though...

http://www.annemergmed.com/article/S0196-0644(16)30926-X/fulltext

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I didn't think the LiveScience article was all that bad.

I did't like that they Sited a Paper that was behind a Paywall or that I had to Login-In though...

http://www.annemergmed.com/article/S0196-0644(16)30926-X/fulltext
It's been a long while since I've written anything resembling a paper, but a line like this: "Liquid nicotine used in electronic cigarette devices is highly concentrated, unreliably packaged, and poorly regulated." has no place in a scholarly work. Especially if the paper is about this particular incident where the liquid was removed from the original packaging.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
It's been a long while since I've written anything resembling a paper, but a line like this: "Liquid nicotine used in electronic cigarette devices is highly concentrated, unreliably packaged, and poorly regulated." has no place in a scholarly work. Especially if the paper is about this particular incident where the liquid was removed from the original packaging.

I dunno what is in the Paper? Because I haven't read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread